There you are,Nolan /RTE poll tonight

Started by T Fearon, November 04, 2015, 10:53:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

Quote from: muppet on November 05, 2015, 03:52:12 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on November 05, 2015, 03:04:20 PM
Just watched the show at lunch time there, so I now have indigestion! A couple of points. On a UI, Nolan very unfair to both Doherty and Hanna. The question is very simplistic and can't be answered in a yes or no fashion. Reaching a UI will take time and reconciliation across the divide here and the border. It will also depend on Brexit and the look of the UK going forward. It is no stretch of the imagination to suggest that the ROI might find itself seeking closer ties with the UK as this whole European question moves on and immigration, the euro etc puts on pressure. I for one would aspire to a UI but not if the UVF react as the Provos did in the late '60's. Nor would I want to accept every aspect of the ROI as it stands in terms of taxation and health etc, although our own health service is going in the direction of that in ROI because of Tory cuts and affordability. The North is an economic basket case and that needs to change as well. In short the question did not give us any answers. On Jimmy Deenihan, he was a better footballer than a politician, out of his depth. Nolan also allowed Forster to claim the poll as positive on the border whilst ignore it on same sex marriage and abortion, out of his depth as well and came across as a self promoting bully. Susan McKay and Patricia McBride as well as the Prof from UCD(?) were probably the best contributors. Young Hanna was largely ignored. In short overhyped waste of time.

This would be logical, in the way that the Scandinavian countries align on a lot of mutually beneficial issues, for example SAS Airlines. This wouldn't dilute their own sense of nationalism in any way.
didn't say it would

muppet

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 05, 2015, 04:51:55 PM
Quote from: muppet on November 05, 2015, 03:52:12 PM
Just watched the show at lunch time there, so I now have indigestion! A couple of points. On a UI, Nolan very unfair to both Doherty and Hanna. The question is very simplistic and can't be answered in a yes or no fashion. Reaching a UI will take time and reconciliation across the divide here and the border. It will also depend on Brexit and the look of the UK going forward. It is no stretch of the imagination to suggest that the ROI might find itself seeking closer ties with the UK as this whole European question moves on and immigration, the euro etc puts on pressure. I for one would aspire to a UI but not if the UVF react as the Provos did in the late '60's. Nor would I want to accept every aspect of the ROI as it stands in terms of taxation and health etc, although our own health service is going in the direction of that in ROI because of Tory cuts and affordability. The North is an economic basket case and that needs to change as well. In short the question did not give us any answers. On Jimmy Deenihan, he was a better footballer than a politician, out of his depth. Nolan also allowed Forster to claim the poll as positive on the border whilst ignore it on same sex marriage and abortion, out of his depth as well and came across as a self promoting bully. Susan McKay and Patricia McBride as well as the Prof from UCD(?) were probably the best contributors. Young Hanna was largely ignored. In short overhyped waste of time.

This would be logical, in the way that the Scandinavian countries align on a lot of mutually beneficial issues, for example SAS Airlines. This wouldn't dilute their own sense of nationalism in any way.
didn't say it would

I know, that comment was meant for our more sensitive posters.  :D
MWWSI 2017

balladmaker

Some points I took from the show:

1: Nolan is an idiot, self promoting, bully-boy attitude to interviews.
2: Shocked at how Foster reveled in the fact that the north requires 9.8 Billion from the UK treasury to stay afloat, she seemed to take pride from the fact!
3: Sinn Fein make a very good point, it's not so much a united Ireland, it's a new Ireland where everything and anything is up for discussion.
4: 900,000 so called Unionists would have a much greater say in a new Ireland structure than what they currently have in the UK.
5: Poor Jimmy Deenihan succumbed to the bullying of Nolan.
6: The UI discussion is firmly on the table and won't be going away any time soon.

BennyCake

Nolan as a host should be impartial, but he was obviously rubbishing any idea of any sort of a United Ireland. He wouldn't even let the SF representatives speak. But he does work for the BRITISH Broadcasting Coporation, so it's his duty to push the British government's agenda.

Was Jimmy Deenihan as easily bullied in his playing days?

thebigfella

Farrandeelin

Thought it funny when Nolan asked Foster her nationality, she obviously replied British. Yet she supports Ireland in rugby when playing British countries.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: thebigfella on November 06, 2015, 02:05:44 PM
What was the point of Miriam?
Good question. She should have asked some hard questions of Foster when she was on about the cost to the UK taxpayer. But RTE being RTE, well they give everybody an easy ride apart from SF.

Rossfan

Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 06, 2015, 02:10:58 PM
Thought it funny when Nolan asked Foster her nationality, she obviously replied British. Yet she supports Ireland in rugby when playing British countries.
Saw a funny clip somewhere of Sammy Wilson telling some English interviewer in Belfast he was British.
She replied " You 'ere on holidye then?  ;D
Miriam was there because she has blonde hair and blue eyes.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

laceer

Quote from: Rossfan on November 06, 2015, 03:04:46 PM
Saw a funny clip somewhere of Sammy Wilson telling some English interviewer in Belfast he was British.

That was Ali G

seafoid

It is an interesting topic though as the status quo comes under pressure and new formulations start to be considered.
NI has the vulnerability of not being able to fund itself.

Hardy

Quote from: laceer on November 06, 2015, 03:12:39 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on November 06, 2015, 03:04:46 PM

That was Ali G

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCNG5UeKMZw
(2:40)

michaelg

Not that funny tbh.  The Ireland team represents Northern Ireland in rugby, many of whom would also identify themselves as British. 

Farrandeelin

Quote from: michaelg on November 06, 2015, 05:48:18 PM
Not that funny tbh.  The Ireland team represents Northern Ireland in rugby, many of whom would also identify themselves as British.
North and South.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 06, 2015, 06:20:53 PM
Quote from: michaelg on November 06, 2015, 05:48:18 PM
North and South.

;D ;D ;D

Tothefuture

Number of points I had on the show.

I have to say I was completely embarrassed at the pride that Arlene Foster seemed to take in Our need for handouts from the UK government. Day by day I become more complexed by the ability of the DUP to actually get the amount of votes they do.

As someone who in the last few years has had a growing desire to explore my Irishness on top of my Britishness it is clear why we had The lower than expected number of those in favour of a UI at present in NI. For me this has to be down to the fact that both SF and SDLP have really failed to sell the benefits we would have from joining a UI.

Another point really not mentioned was the very low % of Protestants in support of UI. There is a reason that only 3% of Protestant people would want a UI at present. For many its simply down to Culture however for others who might well have contemplated it, the worst thing to ever happen in trying to achieve it is the aggressive politicking of SF up North. SF have a conception of Irishness that they believe we must all sign up to. Im very proud now to call my self Irish/N Irish but I feel that SF have created a stereotype of what they deem acceptable to be that i.e Tricolour, Irish anthem etc and this just isn't my type of Irishness.

Finally the most disappointing thing about the whole show was the fact that the NI poll was separated into Protestants and Catholics. How can we really hope to get away from sectarian headcounts  when we continue to promote them.