Gym

Started by Soup an Samajiz, October 28, 2015, 11:44:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: screenexile on November 03, 2015, 11:01:15 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 03, 2015, 08:50:15 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on November 03, 2015, 08:44:22 AM
I always classed push-ups and pull-ups in the same bracket, as practice exercises.  If you do them regularly over a period of a few weeks you can easily build up from 4 or 5 to 30.  On the flip side, if you stop doing them you will go back just as quick.

very true, was at the gym this morning and only managed 15!! must get the bar back up in the house and get them going again

Only 15?? Have you let yourself go a little??  :o :o :P

It's the routine..... I was looking at the pull up bars in the gym today and was like hmmm I'll see where I'm at (having not done them in a while) so finished my 30 minute run and headed over!! blazed through the first 12 and the last 3 I felt drained ... did a straight 10 after it and went about my usual routine .... I'll get 25 soon enough!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

muppet

Jaysus, when I was 17/18 I could get to maybe the 20s, but now.........

Actually I might set up an App: C21CU (Couch to 1 chin up)

Any buyers? (Probably the wrong thread for this, maybe I should put it on the Beer thread)
MWWSI 2017

outinfront

My thoughts:

RE: Windowwasher - they are done lying on the floor, press the bar above chest (it can be easily lowered if fatigued), lift legs to towards left side of bar and back then right and back that's one rep.  It's not pressed above head and if 60kg is too much put less on. 

Again this 300 workout is just a high rep workout I don't really know how much cross over to gaelic football there would be - it's just a challenge.

Off season really for me would be a simple enough progressive overload strength program with the core lifts (squat, bench, overhead press, dead lift, rows, pull ups and chin ups), some core work like planks etc and  plenty of mobility work and maybe a 4-5km run a week. 
Some sprint interval training if you are looking to trim down.
Weights should be focused more for strength to BW ratio rather than getting huge.

Soup an Samajiz

Nail on head stuff there
Think like a wise person but communicate in the language of the people

ThroughTheLaces

I love the gym when I get into my routine, unfortunately my social life often gets in the way. Ive really started to like pull-ups myself, and as stated, I had been doing 5 sets, getting quite a few in each set, but stopped for a while and it was extremely disheartening how little I could do when I returned. Just have to build them back up.

On a side note, there are some bellends in the gym. One woman in particular yesterday, attractive, great body, but I seen her walking about the entire time and not actually doing anything, with her ipod stored in her chest area. Shes in the same category as the nobs who make the most noise possible whilst doing the most overly complicated exercises to gain that extra bit of attention.  Throwing the extremely heavy weights down as hard as they can also ensures this extra attention.
The apple never falls far from the tree.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: ThroughTheLaces on November 03, 2015, 10:10:03 PM
I love the gym when I get into my routine, unfortunately my social life often gets in the way. Ive really started to like pull-ups myself, and as stated, I had been doing 5 sets, getting quite a few in each set, but stopped for a while and it was extremely disheartening how little I could do when I returned. Just have to build them back up.

On a side note, there are some bellends in the gym. One woman in particular yesterday, attractive, great body, but I seen her walking about the entire time and not actually doing anything, with her ipod stored in her chest area. Shes in the same category as the nobs who make the most noise possible whilst doing the most overly complicated exercises to gain that extra bit of attention.  Throwing the extremely heavy weights down as hard as they can also ensures this extra attention.

You'll get that in some gyms, but I must say DW in Newtownabbey is great, couple of twats but in the main normal punters, I suppose te price of £38 a month keeps out the melters... I've met a lot of new people and started doing loads of different classes... great banter loads of competitive craic and good aul banter.. it suited my needs initially with the pool which I wanted for training for triathlons...

cheaper the gym price then more chance of spides hitting it....
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ThroughTheLaces

In fairness the gym I'm in is in a nice area, not unusual to see some of the Home & Away 'stars' in there  ;D but its the area where you'll get the guys that like looking at themselves and like others looking at them even more. But obviously you have the sounds ones that you could ask for a bit of advice on a certain new exercise they're doing or will spot you, let you jump in on sets etc.

Not a big lad myself so when I started at the gym I was always self conscious, but you soon come to realise that 99.9% of people there don't give a shit, its amazing the amount of people I know that wouldn't bother for that reason.
The apple never falls far from the tree.

Soup an Samajiz

Quote from: ThroughTheLaces on November 03, 2015, 11:43:01 PM
In fairness the gym I'm in is in a nice area, not unusual to see some of the Home & Away 'stars' in there  ;D but its the area where you'll get the guys that like looking at themselves and like others looking at them even more. But obviously you have the sounds ones that you could ask for a bit of advice on a certain new exercise they're doing or will spot you, let you jump in on sets etc.

Not a big lad myself so when I started at the gym I was always self conscious, but you soon come to realise that 99.9% of people there don't give a shit, its amazing the amount of people I know that wouldn't bother for that reason.

Started a gym in Belfast recently and contrary to the "meat head" idea I was surprised to see just the amount of very over weight people in for personal training or just doin their own thing - obviously trying to do something about it. Within the past few years I think there's been a huge shift in the groups going to the gym now - great to see.

DennistheMenace

Pure Gym in Belfast has taken quite a few away from my gym was is good.

You get the odd poser, baseball caps back to front, staring at themselves in the mirror, massive upper body and legs of a chicken.

There is a social aspect too and some classes can be good craic. A decent substitute to 5aside football when we can't get numbers.

Soup an Samajiz

Quote from: DennistheMenace on November 04, 2015, 09:07:29 AM
Pure Gym in Belfast has taken quite a few away from my gym was is good.

You get the odd poser, baseball caps back to front, staring at themselves in the mirror, massive upper body and legs of a chicken.

There is a social aspect too and some classes can be good craic. A decent substitute to 5aside football when we can't get numbers.

It's Pure Gym I've joined actually, close to work so suits in the mornings. Come and go whenever you want with little hassle and the equipment is good. Heard it used to be LA Fitness and had a pool before it was taken over and renovated - that would have been the qwer ticket at half 7 in the morning but ye cant win them all

DennistheMenace

Pure Gym is very affordable compared to others in the city, yeah I was in LA Fitness for a while, was overly busy and used the pool a quite a bit. There is also the one Spirit(?) at Holiday Inn which has a pool but the gym wouldn't be half as good.

imtommygunn

For those out a bit the PEC is pretty good. I think I pay 23 a month for it which is good.

That is a membership which only includes spin and the gym mind and not classes but I think it is 27 or 29 for that. (If you're a queens grad).

Used to be in pure gym st annes square. Good gym though there would be a few scumbags about it from time to time. I remember being in one saturday afternoon and some boy getting his trousers stolen.

Canalman

Had this conversation about gyms / cycling etc some weeks ago with a few pals. Nowadays, definitely imo important not to be carrying alot of weight if your job involves giving presentations, foreign travel, sales etc etc. Same if you are going for a new job.

Heard alot of good things about spinning classes.

2 games of astro for me a week is the height of it.

Soup an Samajiz

Starting to reach the January/February slump, how did the training go over Christmas? Pre-season kickin in now shortly too for some men.. oh the joys  :-\

Milltown Row2

Focused a bit with the Suspension Strap System over the holidays... did a few sessions with a friend of mine who's now a PT, was good to get trying different things and I fairly felt it hit different muscle groups that I hadn't been working on recently.... all body weight but works the core really well...

Shying away from swimming lately... need to get back into it