Placename Pronunciations

Started by ThroughTheLaces, October 20, 2015, 09:27:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Sams

Quote from: BennyCake on October 27, 2015, 11:36:53 AM
Quote from: tc_manchester on October 27, 2015, 08:19:41 AM
my wife (who is from Limerick) pronounces Tyrone as Tie Rone. I corrected her for the first 10 years but have now given up.  :-\

my grandparents generation pronouced Omagh as Omey but I haven't heard that used for a while

And the lesson here is?...

His Grandparents' Grandparents were probably Irish speakers.
The Aristocrat Years

Rossfan

my wife (who is from Limerick) pronounces Tyrone as Tie Rone. I corrected her for the first 10 years but have now given up.  :-\

my grandparents generation pronouced Omagh as Omey but I haven't heard that used for a while
The Munsters all seem to call it Tie rone.
I often heard a song called "Sweet Omey Town".
Again go back to the Gaeilge - Tír Eoghain and Óghmaigh(SP?)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

5 Sams

Quote from: Rossfan on October 27, 2015, 11:42:37 AM

The Munsters all seem to call it Tie rone.
I often heard a song called "Sweet Omey Town".
Again go back to the Gaeilge - Tír Eoghain and Óghmaigh(SP?)

Our southern brethren also pronounce place names such as Ballymena, etc as BALLYmena whereas we say Ballamena.
The Aristocrat Years

Rossfan

Us Westerners also pronounce our Ballys ;)
Do ye lot not call it Bollomena?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

AZOffaly

Was there not a big song there when football was invented that pronounced it Tie - Rone? Come On Ty-Rone, Come On Ty-Rone, Ty-Rone. Something like that?

ONeill

Jaysus don't be bringing that up.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

AZOffaly

Well given that's the first anyone down here had heard of ye maybe that's why it's pronounced like that :D

ONeill

We could've picked a better inspiration for a terrace chant than Gary Glitter in hindsight.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

armaghniac

Quote from: general_lee on October 27, 2015, 08:59:37 AM
Have heard Ballyholland pronounced wrongly.

Emphasis on the middle "hole" syllable 

Belvoir is a good one, a French word wrecked by "proper" English pronunciation. Why should it be greatly different from Bellevue?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Farrandeelin

Going off topic, but I don't like the way there are anglicised places that have absolutely nothing to do with the Gaelic version at all.

Edgeworthstown - Meathas Troim, I know the GAA team is Mostrim. Manorhamilton - Cluainín another; and not too far from me, Foxford - Béal Easa, although there is a townland Bellass near it. Louisburgh another one - it's Irish version is Cluan Cearbán.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

BennyCake

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 27, 2015, 12:34:24 PM
Was there not a big song there when football was invented that pronounced it Tie - Rone? Come On Ty-Rone, Come On Ty-Rone, Ty-Rone. Something like that?

Aye, and they were going to bring the Sam Maguire home... But not until 3 of their neighbours had done so first.

maggie

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 27, 2015, 01:30:01 PM
Well given that's the first anyone down here had heard of ye maybe that's why it's pronounced like that :D

Yea whereas people from the county pronounce it minus the y. PGTs speech-its time to take sam to  T'rone

Hardy

Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 27, 2015, 08:05:07 PM
Going off topic, but I don't like the way there are anglicised places that have absolutely nothing to do with the Gaelic version at all.

Edgeworthstown - Meathas Troim, I know the GAA team is Mostrim. Manorhamilton - Cluainín another; and not too far from me, Foxford - Béal Easa, although there is a townland Bellass near it. Louisburgh another one - it's Irish version is Cluan Cearbán.

My Friend Drumroosk is another one (copyright Flann O'Brien).

muppet

Quote from: maggie on October 27, 2015, 08:49:48 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on October 27, 2015, 01:30:01 PM

Yea whereas people from the county pronounce it minus the y. PGTs speech-its time to take sam to  T'rone

Does he not pronounce it 'Throne'?
MWWSI 2017

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.