Placename Pronunciations

Started by ThroughTheLaces, October 20, 2015, 09:27:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

MWWSI 2017

seafoid

Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 27, 2015, 08:05:07 PM
Going off topic, but I don't like the way there are anglicised places that have absolutely nothing to do with the Gaelic version at all.

Edgeworthstown - Meathas Troim, I know the GAA team is Mostrim. Manorhamilton - Cluainín another; and not too far from me, Foxford - Béal Easa, although there is a townland Bellass near it. Louisburgh another one - it's Irish version is Cluan Cearbán.
Cluainín is a great name.

I suppose a lot of landlord town names came in English only and a few still survive like Louisburgh. The north would have a lot more of them.

Rossfan

Quote from: seafoid on October 28, 2015, 06:33:57 PM
Going off topic, but I don't like the way there are anglicised places that have absolutely nothing to do with the Gaelic version at all.

I suppose a lot of landlord town names came in English only and a few still survive like Louisburgh. The north would have a lot more of them.
We have Frenchpark for Dùn Gar
Castlecoote for Baile Mhic Oireachtaigh
Cootehall for Uachtar Tíre.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Owenmoresider

Edgeworthstown - Meathas Troim, I know the GAA team is Mostrim. Manorhamilton - Cluainín another; and not too far from me, Foxford - Béal Easa, although there is a townland Bellass near it. Louisburgh another one - it's Irish version is Cluan Cearbán.
Mountbellew (An Creagán) is another, as is Newmarket-on-Fergus (Cora Chaitlín).

Pretty sure Clooneen is a townland in the vicinity of Manor which gave the Irish name. Wiki gives the following re Mostrim/Edgeworthstown:
QuoteThe area was named Edgeworthstown in the 19th century after the Anglo-Irish Edgeworth family. An estate was built there by Richard Lovell Edgeworth. His family—which includes Honora Sneyd, his second wife, novelist Maria Edgeworth, botanist Michael Pakenham Edgeworth, economist Francis Ysidro Edgeworth, and priest Henry Essex Edgeworth—lived at the estate.

The area's original name was the Irish Meathas Troim or Meathas Truim. This was anglicized as Mastrim, Mostrim, and so forth. These names continued to be used by the locals. In 1935, at the behest of the local Town Tenants' Association, Longford County Council officially changed the town's name to Mostrim.[2] However, in 1974, a local government order reverted the name to Edgeworthstown.[3] Today, both names are in use.
For a long time until they starting updating the stations recently enough the train station on the Sligo/Dublin line went by Mostrim.

Farrandeelin

Sixmilebridge is another, Droichead Abhann Uí gCearnaigh as Gaeilge.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

5 Sams

The Aristocrat Years

Rossfan

Castlehaven in Cork is really Gleann Bearachàn (so?).
what about Donegal's St Johnston, New town Cunningham, Manorcunningham?

muppet

Quote from: 5 Sams on October 28, 2015, 09:25:01 PM
Cúl an tSúdaire

Where's that?

I know the name from the train or somewhere. Portarlington or Clara???
MWWSI 2017

Farrandeelin

Quote from: muppet on October 28, 2015, 09:35:26 PM
Quote from: 5 Sams on October 28, 2015, 09:25:01 PM
Cúl an tSúdaire

Where's that?

I know the name from the train or somewhere. Portarlington or Clara???
Portarlington.

Farrandeelin

AZOffaly

Rochfortbridge in Westmeath is another. Droichead Caislean Loiste in Irish.

Newport in tipp, where I live now, is Tulach Sheasta. But I've started seeing Port Nua on signs now.

seafoid

Quote from: Rossfan on October 28, 2015, 07:03:11 PM
Quote from: seafoid on October 28, 2015, 06:33:57 PM

We have Frenchpark for Dùn Gar
Castlecoote for Baile Mhic Oireachtaigh
Cootehall for Uachtar Tíre.

Cootehall was mentioned a good bit in Woodbrook. Great book and home of Carrick GC now.

Rossfan

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 28, 2015, 10:50:06 PM

Newport in tipp, where I live now, is Tulach Sheasta. But I've started seeing Port Nua on signs now.
No doubt some nerdy gobsh1te on Google translate :-[
Did anyone see a sign alleged to be in Dùn Laoghaire which says-
"Look right
Féach Ceart".

armaghniac

Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 28, 2015, 09:41:19 PM
Léim an Bhradáin

Wikipedia states is something I didn't know
"The placename comes from the Old Norse Lax Hlaup which means "salmon leap". The name in Irish (Léim an Bhradáin) is a direct translation of this, and was first adopted in the 1890s."

I imagine the salmon were there before the Vikings came, so I would have expected an older name.

How about Cill Dhéagláin?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Owenmoresider

A few more:

Newmarket (Cork) - Ath Trasna
Midleton - Mainistir na Corann
Charleville - Ráth Luirc or An Ráth
Dingle - Daingean Uí Chúis
Kenmare - An Neidín
Silvermines - Béal Átha Gabhann
Wicklow - Cill Mhantáin
Roundwood - an Tóchar