Search for New Mayo Manager

Started by IolarCoisCuain, September 28, 2015, 11:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blast05

Quote from: INDIANA on December 24, 2016, 11:07:19 PM
Quote from: blast05 on December 24, 2016, 09:24:20 PM
When I was in primary school in the 80's, we had a tough headmaster like most schools of the time and the same headmaster was pretty much hopeless at actual teaching..... but rule was kept by the ruler. Things changed from the 90's with a more encouraging, positive, respect-rather-than-fear approach from the head teacher and indeed all teachers.

The Mayo players were used to the more modern approach from their owns school days and from James Horans approach.
Pat Holmes though - God bless him - was more the tough headmaster...... loyal to the church (county board), tough on the pupils and hopeless when the (few and far between) enlightened folk of the time challenged his authority or his teaching ability.

We can read about a thousand rumours and half truths that attempt to explain why the players wanted them gone or why H&C were hard done by ....... but thats all just noise and the source of all issues come from the management style and ability. Wrong men were appointed. CB fcuked up.

Rochie is the man, Mayo for Sam, Happy Christmas!

Not one poster from Mayo has addressed the issues.

A county in denial.

On and off the field

I've addressed the primary issue. Everything else is secondary. But give me your specific list if you wish and I will go through those secondary issues one by one

And I'll Bomber ..... a high-performance team (in industry or sport) can continue as high-achievers in the absence of effective leadership or management for a period of time. The time will come though when the absence of effective leadership\management will start to hurt the team. Mayo players were smart enough to recognise that they were in danger of being 'hurt'

Syferus

Quote from: blast05 on December 25, 2016, 12:10:37 AM
When I was in primary school in the 80's, we had a tough headmaster like most schools of the time and the same headmaster was pretty much hopeless at actual teaching..... but rule was kept by the ruler. Things changed from the 90's with a more encouraging, positive, respect-rather-than-fear approach from the head teacher and indeed all teachers.

The Mayo players were used to the more modern approach from their owns school days and from James Horans approach.
Pat Holmes though - God bless him - was more the tough headmaster...... loyal to the church (county board), tough on the pupils and hopeless when the (few and far between) enlightened folk of the time challenged his authority or his teaching ability.

We can read about a thousand rumours and half truths that attempt to explain why the players wanted them gone or why H&C were hard done by ....... but thats all just noise and the source of all issues come from the management style and ability. Wrong men were appointed. CB fcuked up.

A county in denial.

On and off the field

I've addressed the primary issue. Everything else is secondary. But give me your specific list if you wish and I will go through those secondary issues one by one

And I'll Bomber ..... a high-performance team (in industry or sport) can continue as high-achievers in the absence of effective leadership or management for a period of time. The time will come though when the absence of effective leadership\management will start to hurt the team. Mayo players were smart enough to recognise that they were in danger of being 'hurt'

..they got worse this year under Rochford.

larryin89

They got worse? Only one match that matters you said in another post to Mayo and thats the final.

We were closer to winning an all Ireland this year than any other year in this era. Yall crazy mofos. Mayo arent going away and its killing the haters because they know we are closer than ever. We will reach the final again .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Il Bomber Destro

A county in denial.

On and off the field

There is nothing to suggest Mayo players were smart, there is everything to say that a certain group of Mayo players staged a heave against the management team over personal grievances as in terms of performances and results, there didn't seem to be any damage.

On the face of it, in 2015 Mayo cruised to the semi-final with no problems, they were lucky in the first game against Dublin, but in the replay they had the match in their grasp before a series of inexplicable individual errors by their players saw them blow it in the last 20 minutes.

Compare with 2016, lost to Galway, Aidan O'Shea had to con the referee in Castlebar to get them over the line against Fermangh, Tyrone had all the chances to put them away in the qf, they had the handiest SF draw since Tyrone took on Wexford in 2008 and while they may have played well in both the final and replay against Dublin, they still only lead 140 minutes of football for just a handful of minutes.

There is nothing to suggest Mayo improved this year. In football terms, there is nothing to validate the removal of management in the way they did it unless they go out and win it - they failed this year and they don't look any better than they did in 2015.

Once again, it's another denial in looking at the role of the players - there are no football reasons for the removal, only players exercising personal grievances. Holmes and Connelly have alluded to the O'Sheas playing a central role in their removal because they were told team selections were no business on them and that Aidan O'Shea should more focus on his football than other stuff outside of it. This looked like it was a big blow to their egos and no manager will cut Aidan O'Shea down like that and stay in his job....

seafoid

This song reminds me of the Mayo footballers :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsFhp0zCrhk

I wonder what they are cooking up in Ballina and Cashelbar this weather

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Halfquarter on December 25, 2016, 11:34:57 AM
Good article by Thomas O'Shea.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/toms-s-kerry-and-dubs-dont-care-what-others-say-about-them-neither-should-mayo-35318728.html

He's correct on how wrong staging a heave against management is.

The players claim they have set themselves seriously high standards and expectations over the years and they went above management to the county board to have the management team removed.

I wonder do the players have the same standards of themselves? Would they approach the management team and ask for Hennelly to be dropped from the squad for 2017 as his propensity to meltdown in big games for Mayo consistently over the years would be a direct contradiction of the high standards they set themselves. Oddly they seem to be lobbying for a player clearly not of the high standard they set themselves to be playing in the side.

Can anyone clear this up for me?

maigheo

Give it up Bomber.Nobody cares what you or the other 2 amigos think about the whole situation.You and your 2 cohorts believe the players are 100 per cent wrong and nothing is going to change your mind.Go and enjoy the rest of your Christmas and have a happy new year.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: maigheo on December 25, 2016, 01:54:25 PM
Give it up Bomber.Nobody cares what you or the other 2 amigos think about the whole situation.You and your 2 cohorts believe the players are 100 per cent wrong and nothing is going to change your mind.Go and enjoy the rest of your Christmas and have a happy new year.

Buon Natale to you as well.

I believe the players are wrong but I don't like the way Holmes and Connelly were stitched up by their players and I find the refusal to accept any blame on the player's behalf wrong.

maigheo

What do you want them to do?Start a back and forth with H and C.Of course there is some fault with the the players  but ask your self that if you were one of the Mayo players who had given there all in the Horan years and a new manager comes in and tells you that you were not tough enough and had gotten bullied by Kerry  in the semi final what would you be thinking especially from some one who trotted after Maurice Fitz in the 97 all irelandTo say you are not good enough is one thing but saying you are cowardly would be a bit to much to take.

blast05

Quote from: maigheo on December 25, 2016, 01:54:25 PM

Indeed.
You're a Holmes or Connelly.

Avondhu star

Quote from: larryin89 on December 25, 2016, 12:38:34 AM
They got worse? Only one match that matters you said in another post to Mayo and thats the final.

We were closer to winning an all Ireland this year than any other year in this era. Yall crazy mofos. Mayo arent going away and its killing the haters because they know we are closer than ever. We will reach the final again .
Ye have a great record of reaching finals. Pity ye dont do anything when ye get there
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: maigheo on December 25, 2016, 02:42:38 PM
What do you want them to do?Start a back and forth with H and C.Of course there is some fault with the the players  but ask your self that if you were one of the Mayo players who had given there all in the Horan years and a new manager comes in and tells you that you were not tough enough and had gotten bullied by Kerry  in the semi final what would you be thinking especially from some one who trotted after Maurice Fitz in the 97 all irelandTo say you are not good enough is one thing but saying you are cowardly would be a bit to much to take.

I think they should come out and apologise to the management team they shafted and admit that what they did was completely unacceptable.

Those Mayo players might have given their all but against Kerry in 2014 in that game in Limerick, they had the opportunities to win that game, they should have seen it through, much like they should have done in 2015 against Dublin and against a Dublin team there for the taking with a guy who was concussed and another with a torn hamstring in the last 7/8 minutes. I don't doubt Mayo are good enough, you don't put yourself in winning positions in those kind of games on a consistent basis if you're not, the problem seems to be a psychological one that when the light is becoming visible at the end of the tunnel - they crumble, their brains turn to mush and mistakes they wouldn't usually make come to fruition.

Mayo can have grievances about refereeing decisions in 2014 against Kerry, they can reference the fact O'Connor and O'Shea ran into each other, the fact the game was in Limerick etc etc but despite all those matters going against them - they should not have let that game slip when they had it in their grasp. In the end it came down to Kerry having the nerve to see it through and if there's anything Mayo have shown in the past it's that ruthless streak when the game is their hands to finish off, they are not great at seeing it through.

I was at the Dublin-Mayo replay in 2015, with 20 odd minutes to go Dublin were reeling and you could definitely sense the panic from their fans in the stand. In that final 20 minutes certain Mayo players made big mistakes that they had not made up to that part. Cafferkey inexplicably showing Borgan the inside for the first goal, Hennelly filling his togs at the sight of McMahon coming in, Keegan dropping an easy shot into the keeper's hands, Aidan O'Shea nowhere to be seen as his marker runs riot. Mayo had played brilliantly up until that point to get themselves into that position then they crumbled and sadly for them it has been an all to familiar story.

Given what Holmes and Connelly have come out and other stories also out there like the McHale one - it certainly doesn't paint the Mayo players in a good light.

What would have happened had the players had the nerve to see out the Dublin match in 2015? Would they have still wanted to sack the management team who steamrolled through Connacht, easily dispatched of Donegal in the QF and then took out the All Ireland favourites in the semi final?

INDIANA

A county in denial.

On and off the field

The primary issue in reading the thread is the belief in Mayo posters that Holmes/ Connelly should have said nothing.

Which is completely wrong.

They were entitled to their say. the players threw them under the bus last year and nobody here from Mayo cared about either their professional or personal reputation at the time. So they were perfectly entitled to give their opinion regardless of people here ( who are more then happy to give their opinion it seems because they never have to put their name to anything!)

I think a group of players blackmailing the county board into making a decision under the threat of strike action is absolutely scandalous to be perfectly blunt.

It's a pity with Mayo after winning an AI U21. There is a small window of opportunity next year for Mayo to supplement their senior squad with actual all Ireland winners and make a big push before Kerry take over in 2-3 years time for about 3-5 years. But it will all go out in the wash unless some of the egos on the panel are reigned in.

I don't envy Rochford's position.

Cunny Funt

It's a pity with Mayo after winning an AI U21. There is a small window of opportunity next year for Mayo to supplement their senior squad with actual all Ireland winners
Mayo had plenty of actual All Ireland winners on their senior team this year from the 2006 U21 team. This years U21 winning team probably won't produce as many established seniors because the quality of the U21 championship wasn't as high as 2006 or as high as recent years.