Search for New Mayo Manager

Started by IolarCoisCuain, September 28, 2015, 11:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: Jinxy on December 17, 2016, 07:22:36 PM
Quote from: muppet on December 17, 2016, 07:08:13 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on December 17, 2016, 06:27:18 PM
A lot of interesting stuff here.

Holmes/Connelly on Mayo revolt: Aidan O'Shea's selection email, Seamus lobbying for Hennelly and clashes over mass times

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/holmesconnelly-on-mayo-revolt-aidan-osheas-selection-email-seamus-lobbying-for-hennelly-and-clashes-over-mass-times-35301012.html

'Following the departure of Holmes and Connelly, the Mayo County Board invited Martin Conry (DCU) as an independent mediator/facilitator to examine the entire sequence of events and to make recommendations for the future.

His report, which had not made public until now, reflects badly on the squad.

He wrote that while the players outlined their concerns to him, they would not allow him to report back to Holmes and Connelly. That left him unable to "adjudicate on the merits of the contrary positions".

He proposed that the players meet Holmes/Connelly to set out their views but that was rejected. Conry felt that the managers were entitled to that on the basis that they "could reasonably argue that they suffered reputational damage and are entitled to have cause stated to them".

He also found that instead of demanding that the management be removed, the squad would have been better advised to follow "a more graduated approach to the perceived matter at issue".

On the threatened strike, he felt that it should only have become an option when all negotiations with the county board - who appointed the managers - had been exhausted.'

Would any Mayo folk disagree with the bit in bold?

It might sound reasonable, if the original appointment of the lads and subsequent investigation into that shambles had been as 'graduated'. But it wasn't, so it most likely looked like another fudge to the players.

Well if that's the cause of it all fair enough, but it seems a bit unfair to H & C to dress it up as something else.
Seems like they were dead men walking from the get go.

I don't think it was the cause, but it was a very bad start.

Even if you take the article in isolation, the stories are all about the players whinging and how they had to say things like 'that's not the way it works' while putting players in their boxes. Then at the end, they are all ears, demanding answers from the players.

The Aiden O'Shea 'selection email' [it even made the Indo headline!]is embarrassing: '..expressing his and other players' surprise that a certain panel member was not making the match-day squad of 26...' is hardly picking the team is it? Jesus wept, if that is on the management list of gripes.....

MWWSI 2017

From the Bunker

Well that's that! H & C let loose! Just before Christmas! Martin Brehony needs a story before Christmas and he got it. That will be that in a week or two. Puts pressure again on the players and that can't be bad? Can it?

The Cunniffe interview a few weeks ago makes sense now. Was wondering at comments like that being made out of no where. He knew this was coming and the Indo was testing the water.

As is now the norm with Mayo Players, I expect a mute response from them.

Buckass

In fairness to H & C there won't be any reply from the players because the truth is on h & c s side. The world & its mother knew the key operators in the heave. Thought it lacked malice in not mentioning the player a o Shea was emailing about or the perks for players under the previous logistics set-up. The conversation re: hennellys kick outs confirms the chat this September. Cunniffe was brave & honest and obviously needed to clear his conscience. H & C aren't robots, they're human and needed to set matters straight. Rochford & the players need to learn and move on...rochford needs to establish who is boss...cut some excellent servants of old and tell others that , as colm o rourke says, "when you join the army you have to wear the boots"

rrhf

This is a necessary stage and it should not be played out in public. By refusing to have this out at the time In house shows there seems to be A lack of hard direct honest talk. The big egos need handled but in most big counties they are.  It could have already cost them this years all Ireland if they were allowed to influence that goalkeeper decision. I think this could be a real watershed for Mayo.

seafoid

The players have to be ruthless on the pitch. And they hafta be able to score when it counts 

moysider

Quote from: rrhf on December 17, 2016, 10:48:04 PM
This is a necessary stage and it should not be played out in public. By refusing to have this out at the time In house shows there seems to be A lack of hard direct honest talk. The big egos need handled but in most big counties they are.  It could have already cost them this years all Ireland if they were allowed to influence that goalkeeper decision. I think this could be a real watershed for Mayo.

I doubt it will change anything.

Speaking as someone that didn't welcome H&C appointment and the way it was done I think they were badly shafted once they were in place. The players grievances seems to have been vexatious. Anybody that ever tried to manage a team at any level would have to have sympathy with H&C.
I believe that H&C were tactically better than Horan. I suspect that some influential players just didn't want them from the start and were stoking up resentment during 2015.
I believe Rochford is probably better tactically than H&C but he may be damaged already by suspicions in many peoples minds that he is a dog wagged by the tail that swiped H&C away. What he can do to check those 'ego' that H&C go on about, remains to be seen. Looks like he is between a rock and a hard place.

Syferus

I find it incredible Dillon had the balls to question Andy Moran being selected above him. Dillon's legs went about three years ago. He just isn't up to scratch at IC anymore and anyone who has watched Mayo can see that. That's not insult to him because he was a fine player in his heyday but that time has passed. You'd expect a bit more maturity from one of the most experienced members of the Mayo panel than to go sowing seeds of discontent because he's in a sulk over being dropped.

moysider

Quote from: Syferus on December 17, 2016, 11:53:05 PM
I find it incredible Dillon had the balls to question Andy Moran being selected above him. Dillon's legs went about three years ago. He just isn't up to scratch at IC anymore and anyone who has watched Mayo can see that. That's not insult to him because he was a fine player in his heyday but that time has passed. You'd expect a bit more maturity from one of the most experienced members of the Mayo panel than to go sowing seeds of discontent because he's in a sulk over being dropped.

I don't think there is a suggestion that Dillon sowed 'seeds of discontent'.

Rossfan

Why weren't you in Kiltoom Syfín instead of spending the day worrying about the Rhubarbs??

I wasn't there either by the way. Too far South for my liking. :D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on December 18, 2016, 12:17:19 AM
Why weren't you in Kiltoom Syfín instead of spending the day worrying about the Rhubarbs??

I wasn't there either by the way. Too far South for my liking. :D

Too knackered from Christmas shopping in Athlone.

muppet

Quote from: moysider on December 18, 2016, 12:15:10 AM
Quote from: Syferus on December 17, 2016, 11:53:05 PM

I don't think there is a suggestion that Dillon sowed 'seeds of discontent'.

There most certainly is. This is the Indo tell all about the Mayo Heave story, front page banner etc, and Dillon's alleged gripe features very prominently in the article. You can't choose the bits you want to be annoyed about and blame them, while ignoring the other similarly lame claims.

Dillon was dropped by Horan, and we saw no heave. I'm guessing that Aiden O'Shea and/or other senior players may have commented on the match day 26 under Horan and/or O'Mahony, and there was no heave. Seamus O'Shea didn't even start under Rochford, and there was no heave. Hennelly left the squad under Horan and was dropped under Rochford and yet again, no heave.

Why just H&C?

Now.....would anyone like to explain to me why Holmes and Connelly felt the need to bring up fund raising in the 'exclusive' on the players' revolt? Both commented on that issue. But no elaboration. Why?

The article is full of half stories and subtle innuendoes, without really saying anything. There is no mention of the shambolic appointment process. The article reads very poorly imho and H&C go from dismissing all player issues as trivial, to demanding to know why the players wanted them gone after the fact. The big irony of course is that the players' liaison with the County Board isn't mentioned at all in the article, even in the mediation. Why is that?

MWWSI 2017

Itchy

A lot of vague stories all right but at least ye all know now exactly who the inner circle of trouble makers were, all named in the article.

rrhf

If lads are dropped it's actually a healthy thing if they individually ask the management the questions. Obviously the fundraising has been questioned here. Co treAsurer needs to step up. Access to fundraising can create  massive problems.
Aidan o se was possibly mayos worst player over two games in the all Ireland. In any other county he would subsequently be regarded as having reached his level - tarred with "not capable" on the big day status. I do th think hes a leader. Certainly needs to be warned about the negativity if not chased.

DuffleKing

That's a serious attempt at throwing players under a bus and shows little or no integrity value in the two ousted managers. The article highlights a long list of broken confidences by them and I couldn't see any team with serious intentions ever going near them.

The article makes a strong statement about how important it is for them to 'have their say' rather than their purported motivation of helping Mayo.

ballinaman

Some blantant bull in that article. Shocking stuff from H&C, they've managed to come out of this worse in than they were. Impressive