How does the current Dublin team compare with the Tyrone team 2003-2008?

Started by johnpower, September 22, 2015, 07:53:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

I just think McGuigan made that team tick in the forwards. He was an exceptional passer of the ball, and I love that sort of centre forward. Connolly has to be there, so it really came down to Dooher v Flynn, and it was very tight. Allstars won, especially in different eras, wouldn't be a big factor in my assessment. (Especially since the Brian Whelehan debacle)

Zulu

Can't see how Flynn can be left out by anyone. He has a strong claim to be the best footballer in Ireland over the pact number of years and although not as classy a footballer as Connolly or Cooper etc. he is probably the prototype Gaelic footballer - good in the air & on the breaks, tremendous kick passer, good score taker, brilliant athlete and has put more men on their arse with a shoulder than most current footballers. A better wing forward than Galvin or Dooher IMO.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Zulu on September 24, 2015, 12:46:57 PM
Can't see how Flynn can be left out by anyone. He has a strong claim to be the best footballer in Ireland over the pact number of years and although not as classy a footballer as Connolly or Cooper etc. he is probably the prototype Gaelic footballer - good in the air & on the breaks, tremendous kick passer, good score taker, brilliant athlete and has put more men on their arse with a shoulder than most current footballers. A better wing forward than Galvin or Dooher IMO.

The fact you may actually believe that is risible.

Flynn isn't even the best wing forward on his team.

Champion The Wonder Horse

This has probably been done earlier in the thread (apologies if it has) and my stats may not be quite 100% accurate.

Between 2003 and 2008, Tyrone played 40 championship matches, winning 27, drawing 6 and losing 7 - a win rate of 67.5%
Between 2011 and 2015, Dublin played 29 championship matches, winning 26, drawing 1 and losing 2 - a win rate of 89.6%

In the years where they won their All-Irelands -
Tyrone P 25 W 18 D 5 L 2 -  a win rate of 72%
Dublin P 19 W 18 D 1 L 0 - a win rate of 94.7%

In the years where they didn't -
Tyrone P 15 W 9 D 1 L 5 -  a win rate of 60%
Dublin P 10 W 8 D 0 L 2 - a win rate of 80%

The 2011-15 Dublin is clearly the better team.

AZOffaly

Lies, damn lies and statistics. I don't like comparing teams from different eras, it's hard enough to compare players, but the standard of competition Tyrone face in racking up that percentage has to be far stiffer than what Dublin have faced in the last 5 years, provincially at least. And I say that as a Leinster man.

Both great teams, as were the Kerry team for most of the noughties.

nrico2006

Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on September 24, 2015, 01:56:37 PM
This has probably been done earlier in the thread (apologies if it has) and my stats may not be quite 100% accurate.

Between 2003 and 2008, Tyrone played 40 championship matches, winning 27, drawing 6 and losing 7 - a win rate of 67.5%
Between 2011 and 2015, Dublin played 29 championship matches, winning 26, drawing 1 and losing 2 - a win rate of 89.6%

In the years where they won their All-Irelands -
Tyrone P 25 W 18 D 5 L 2 -  a win rate of 72%
Dublin P 19 W 18 D 1 L 0 - a win rate of 94.7%

In the years where they didn't -
Tyrone P 15 W 9 D 1 L 5 -  a win rate of 60%
Dublin P 10 W 8 D 0 L 2 - a win rate of 80%

The 2011-15 Dublin is clearly the better team.

But these stats mean nothing, the same with the craic around a 'great' team being one who retains an All Ireland.  You can't say that because a team wins more games than a team from a previous era that they are better, simply due to the fact that the standard of opposition is not the same at any given time.  Nobody can sit and conclusively say that the standard of opposition from ten years ago is not as good as now, and vice versa.

P.S. - Brian Dooher was a better wing forward than Flynn. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

randomusername

The Dublin team from the Pillar Caffrey era probably has a better win percentage in the championship than that Tyrone team. Tyrone weren't the same after 2005. Their performances in the 2005 final and latter stages of the 2008 championship were as good as you'll get though.

Zulu

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on September 24, 2015, 01:53:32 PM

If was a Tyrone player you'd have him as the greatest footballer, rock start, actor and destroyer of worlds. To say he isn't the best wing forward on his own team is a nonsense comment. Connolly is the better footballer but Flynn is right up there as a player. The Barcelona players aren't all rubbish just because Messi is their best player.

Champion The Wonder Horse

No Leinster team had beaten Dublin in 2011-2015. Two beat Tyrone, Laois and Meath, both of whom had lost to Dublin earlier in the championship.

Only two teams have beaten Dublin, both at AI SEMI-final stage; Tyrone have lost seven times. Tyrone didn't score for an entire first half again Derry.

Dublin have performed consistently throughout their era - Tyrone didn't.

Having said that my merged team would contain more Tyrone men than Dubs. McMenamin, Gormley, Jordan, Cavanagh, Dooher, McGuigan, O'Neill and Canavan would all definitely start.

Tyrone better individuals, Dublin better team.

JoG2

The fact that Flynn doesn't throw himself to the ground like a big jessie swings it for me. Superb player, though not anywhere near his best this year post operation

lenny

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 24, 2015, 01:59:24 PM
Lies, damn lies and statistics. I don't like comparing teams from different eras, it's hard enough to compare players, but the standard of competition Tyrone face in racking up that percentage has to be far stiffer than what Dublin have faced in the last 5 years, provincially at least. And I say that as a Leinster man.

I disagree, tyrone had their golden era at a time when ulster was very weak and only Armagh provided decent opposition. Even then they had to rely on the back door to win 2 of their all Irelands. This Dublin team have won 3 at this stge and are likely to end up with at the very least 5 which will elevate them way above tyrone. It is for that reason that I would have at least 9 dubs in a composite team ie Cluxton, O'Carroll, McMahon, McCaffrey, O'Sullivan, McAuley, Flynn, Connolly and B Brogan. James McCarthy would only just lose out to Jordan,

nrico2006

Quote from: lenny on September 24, 2015, 03:12:39 PM

I disagree, tyrone had their golden era at a time when ulster was very weak and only Armagh provided decent opposition. Even then they had to rely on the back door to win 2 of their all Irelands. This Dublin team have won 3 at this stge and are likely to end up with at the very least 5 which will elevate them way above tyrone. It is for that reason that I would have at least 9 dubs in a composite team ie Cluxton, O'Carroll, McMahon, McCaffrey, O'Sullivan, McAuley, Flynn, Connolly and B Brogan. James McCarthy would only just lose out to Jordan,

McMenamin, Gormley, McAnallen, Jordan, Cavanagh, Dooher, McGuigan, a McMahon, O'Neill, McGinley, Mulligan and Canavan would all have very strong claims to get on a composite team to be honest.

As for Ulster being weak then, you had Cavan, Derry, Donegal and Tyrone in that period who all reached or won the league.  Armagh and Donegal regularly featured in the latter stages of the championship also, as did Derry on occasion.  How many Leinster teams are even competing in Division 1?  A lot easier to sail through an easy province and peak for the right time. 

I wouldn't be so sure about Dublin winning 5 All Irelands either, they are going to lose their two key men pretty soon (Brogan and Cluxton) and they have no obvious replacements for either.  They are also not head and shoulders above the rest of the country and this team has been on the go for 5/6 years now so its also arguable that they are past their peak.   
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Zulu on September 24, 2015, 02:55:51 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on September 24, 2015, 01:53:32 PM

If was a Tyrone player you'd have him as the greatest footballer, rock start, actor and destroyer of worlds. To say he isn't the best wing forward on his own team is a nonsense comment. Connolly is the better footballer but Flynn is right up there as a player. The Barcelona players aren't all rubbish just because Messi is their best player.

I wouldn't. Flynn is not in the same league as Dooher, not as good as McGinley either.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: lenny on September 24, 2015, 03:12:39 PM

I take it you're a bit dim as Fermanagh, Donegal and Derry competed in AI semi finals in the 03-08 period and Monaghan and Down had very decent teams around that time as well.

Canalman

Without wading through the previous posts I'd say both teams on a par at the moment.

Think the 3d win for us this year is the bare minimum Dublin should have won with this  once in a lifetime batch of players we have. Beating kerry three times the icing on the cake.