How does the current Dublin team compare with the Tyrone team 2003-2008?

Started by johnpower, September 22, 2015, 07:53:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Tyrone for me. Tyrone had opposition from May - Sept.

Because the standard in Leinster is so abject for years now Dublin can bank on being in semi every year. This year they only got 2 decent games to win Sam - the 2 semi-finals v Mayo. The CP factor will always taint Dublin's achievements.

yellowcard

How can you compare a side that won 3 All Ireland's (getting beat twice en route to 2 of them) in 5 years to a side that have already won 3 with the likelihood of more to follow. Dublin have been consistently thereabouts in each of the last 5 years and could go on to become the most dominant side since the Kerry golden team. Comparisons with Tyrone are silly as Dublin have already surpassed them.

ashman

Quote from: moysider on September 22, 2015, 09:58:21 PM

Because the standard in Leinster is so abject for years now Dublin can bank on being in semi every year. This year they only got 2 decent games to win Sam - the 2 semi-finals v Mayo. The CP factor will always taint Dublin's achievements.

How does that prove Tyrone were better ???

None of the factors you listed lessen dublin as a team and they can not be used in comparing both teams.  It is hard to say but I think dublin due to their phenomenal pace and power. Tyrone might have had some better footbAllers and dublin have no one in the class of Sean Cavanagh in 2008.

Itchy

Has to be Tyrone, them lads would've won the Fifa World Cup and rugby World Cup if they had entered. In fact if all them lads came out of retirement tomorrow and played Dublin with no training I doubt Dublin would get out of their own half. Plus that team invented football and tactics, what did Dublin ever invent.

From the Bunker

Croke Park factor is such a crazy advantage!

Dublins Games in Croker this year

Dublin Donegal
Dublin Tyrone
Dublin Derry
Dublin Monaghan
Dublin Cork
Dublin Longford
Dublin Kildare
Dublin Westmeath
Dublin Fermanagh
Dublin Mayo
Dublin Mayo

Kerrys games in Croker

Kerry Kildare
Kerry Tyrone

armaghniac

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 22, 2015, 08:07:53 PM
Quote from: johnpower on September 22, 2015, 07:53:40 PM
just wondering what's the view on relative merits of both teams?

Tyrone won 5 Ulster titles, 3 AI's and 2 league titles over a 10 year period. 2001-2010
Dublin won 5 Leinster titles, 3 AI's and 3 league titles over a 5 year period. 2011-2015

I doubt if the Provincial titles are any help in this analysis. Tyrone were in a reputable province where another team from the province won an AI in that period and another team played in the AI final and where they were playing most of the team that win the 2012 AI.

Also Tyrone weren't playing at home.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Farrandeelin

Well if Leinster Council actually voted them out of CP, it wouldn't be as much of an issue. Sadly though for them money talks.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Itchy on September 22, 2015, 10:15:39 PM
Has to be Tyrone, them lads would've won the Fifa World Cup and rugby World Cup if they had entered. In fact if all them lads came out of retirement tomorrow and played Dublin with no training I doubt Dublin would get out of their own half. Plus that team invented football and tactics, what did Dublin ever invent.

::) I wonder how many variations of this sort of hilarious comment will we get in this thread? We've got a couple already.
That was never a square ball!!

INDIANA

Tyrone beat a lot of crap teams too and struggled to beat teams this Dublin team would have blown out of the water.

You can't call some of the Ulster championship games a high standard. They can be intense and tight but quite often the standard of football is utterly abject

tonto1888

ONeill

Is it fair to say the levels of finessed spiralled mid-00s like never before? I think Kerry 75-86, well to 84, could have coped with any AI winner til 2005/6, including Down, Derry, Donegal, Dubs 95, the Meath, Kerry and Galway sides til 01. Maybe even Tyrone and Armagh 02 and 03.

Now, fitness levels are at such a high it would be hard to see that older generation competing after 50 mins at their prime today.

Dublin today may have been physically too professional for Tyrone 03-08. And it's only going one direction until peak physical condition an athlete can reach...if we're not already there.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Rodman

Quote from: INDIANA on September 22, 2015, 10:30:04 PM

Tyrone beat a lot of crap teams too and struggled to beat teams this Dublin team would have blown out of the water.

You can't call some of the Ulster championship games a high standard. They can be intense and tight but quite often the standard of football is utterly abject

A bit like Sunday

ashman

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 22, 2015, 10:16:32 PM

Dublin Donegal
Dublin Tyrone
Dublin Derry
Dublin Monaghan
Dublin Cork
Dublin Longford
Dublin Kildare
Dublin Westmeath
Dublin Fermanagh
Dublin Mayo
Dublin Mayo

Kerrys games in Croker

Kerry Kildare
Kerry Tyrone

Ah ffs :  we all know dublin have advantages but to say the Croker factor v KERRY is absurd.

From the Bunker

Quote from: ashman on September 22, 2015, 10:38:22 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on September 22, 2015, 10:16:32 PM

Dublin Donegal
Dublin Tyrone
Dublin Derry
Dublin Monaghan
Dublin Cork
Dublin Longford
Dublin Kildare
Dublin Westmeath
Dublin Fermanagh
Dublin Mayo
Dublin Mayo

Kerrys games in Croker

Kerry Kildare
Kerry Tyrone

Ah ffs :  we all know dublin have advantages but to say the Croker factor v KERRY is absurd.

Why?