Michael O'Neill potentially the greatest soccer manager Ireland has ever produce

Started by T Fearon, September 04, 2015, 11:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

After miraculously taking Shamrock Rovers to Europa League group stages it seems barring a miracle he will take the North to Euro 2016 Finals.Incredible achievements that many thought were impossible,surely a massive job beckons?

BennyCake

T Fearon

The fact that he's married (in my home chapel in Portadown by the way) rules that out,I'm afraid,well for the moment anyway

BennyCake

Shame that. Would have been funny to see the Unionist NI fans supporting the Pope's work.

An Watcher

Looking forward to their fans embarrassed themselves on the European stage.

screenexile

An Watcher

Sorry they won't embarrass themselves with certain songs and certain flags.  God knows how they'll carry on back here but I'll wise up and crawl back into my hole and not be offended by certain flags n songs

T Fearon

While the flags emblems etc are exclusively unionist,the sectarian aspect seems to have gone.Regardless of all of that,this thread is about the achievements of Michael O'Neill as a manager and his destiny

bannside

There are a few things not generally known about Michael as a footballer. At 20 he played alongside Gazza in midfield for Newcastle. He was winning more NUFC supporters clubs MOM and POTY than Gazza whose jealousy of Michael knew no boundary. The troubles were in full swing then and let's just say that Michael from Ireland got a very hard time, usually led by the high profile p***k who played for England.

Michael contracted glandular fever not long after and it stuck around for a long time, draining him of the energy needed to perform at the highest level. He ended up as a journeyman in Scotland, but only for the illness would have gone on to much greater things.

He played in a very important match for South versus North in Lansdowne Rd, when Jack Charlton era was in full swing. There were many great players on the pitch, but all the pundits agreed that the best footballer on the day was MON. That's pre illness obviously.

Great to see his rising star as a manager. I knew Micheal well when he played for All Saints and was in our house regularly. A good lad who deserves all he gets.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bannside on September 05, 2015, 08:19:46 AM
There are a few things not generally known about Michael as a footballer. At 20 he played alongside Gazza in midfield for Newcastle. He was winning more NUFC supporters clubs MOM and POTY than Gazza whose jealousy of Michael knew no boundary. The troubles were in full swing then and let's just say that Michael from Ireland got a very hard time, usually led by the high profile p***k who played for England.

Michael contracted glandular fever not long after and it stuck around for a long time, draining him of the energy needed to perform at the highest level. He ended up as a journeyman in Scotland, but only for the illness would have gone on to much greater things.

He played in a very important match for South versus North in Lansdowne Rd, when Jack Charlton era was in full swing. There were many great players on the pitch, but all the pundits agreed that the best footballer on the day was MON. That's pre illness obviously.

Great to see his rising star as a manager. I knew Micheal well when he played for All Saints and was in our house regularly. A good lad who deserves all he gets.

Was his dad a Galls man Bannside?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bannside

Yes MR. Des O Neill, St Galls and Antrim. Great goalkeeper by all accounts.

BennyHarp

I'd have been a great footballer.....if it hadn't been for the glandular fever.
That was never a square ball!!

bannside

When you get MOM in an arena with the best generation  of soccer players Ireland ever had.....its time enough for your wisecracks lol.

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on September 05, 2015, 12:04:16 AM
The fact that he's married (in my home chapel in Portadown by the way) rules that out,I'm afraid,well for the moment anyway

He would hardly be the first married Pope!
MWWSI 2017

Armamike

It's only a matter of time before an English club come calling, probably a lower level premier club.  Seems a level headed guy unlike a certain incumbent at Liverpool and unlike Sanchez if an offer does come along he'll do the right thing and finish the job he's started. He deserves all the plaudits he'll get if he manages to take them to the euros.
That's just, like your opinion man.