AIFSF Replay Mayo v Dublin, Sat 5th Sept. HQ.

Started by highorlow, September 01, 2015, 10:28:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

macdanger2

Just watched the game back there and took note of a few things:

- Starting B Moran was the losing of the game for me, we needed him to bring on to counteract the introduction of MDMA, particularly with the black card and the pace of the game

- The idea that Higgins was taken to the cleaners by Andrews is bullsh*t; 1st point he was on him but it was unstoppable as he had to stand off to cover KK from getting inside; 2nd one, he could have done better but it was still a good pt; 3rd, Caff was on him, could have done better; 4th, Caff again but was a class pt; final one, Barrett was on him but he came out to challenge MDMA and was unlucky not to win it. McM did take him for a point at the death as well though.

- I thought Barrett was excellent, played really tight no matter who he was marking

- Hard to say from the telly but our FB line seemed to rotate a lot, was this to keep Caff close to the square or what?

- In the first half, B Moran should have been picking up McMahon when he went forward, not Boyle who was on Flynn. It was a tough job though as McMahon was dropping back and then bursting forward

- AOS did ok, scored one and won 3 frees from which points were scored

- SOS was very good in the first half although the 9th Dublin point was from him trying to buy a free on the sideline

- Mayo fans booing Connolly were a disgrace

- Dublin were completely at sea until the goal, if we hadn't conceded that, they weren't coming back. Dublin got lucky with a terrible decision from Hennelly and a brilliant intervention from BB. The importance of Keegan's miss (which was at 45mins) is being overplayed

- The second goal was a throw but I think Dublin would have won anyway. Umpire should have noticed it though

- Dunno what he said to AOS but McMahon is an unlikeable c*nt. Fair play to Andrews, McCaffrey & Connolly who were making a big effort to shake his hand and disassociate themselves from whatever was said

highorlow

They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

moysider

Quote from: macdanger2 on September 09, 2015, 10:03:23 PM

- Starting B Moran was the losing of the game for me, we needed him to bring on to counteract the introduction of MDMA, particularly with the black card and the pace of the game

- The idea that Higgins was taken to the cleaners by Andrews is bullsh*t; 1st point he was on him but it was unstoppable as he had to stand off to cover KK from getting inside; 2nd one, he could have done better but it was still a good pt; 3rd, Caff was on him, could have done better; 4th, Caff again but was a class pt; final one, Barrett was on him but he came out to challenge MDMA and was unlucky not to win it. McM did take him for a point at the death as well though.

- I thought Barrett was excellent, played really tight no matter who he was marking

- Hard to say from the telly but our FB line seemed to rotate a lot, was this to keep Caff close to the square or what?

- In the first half, B Moran should have been picking up McMahon when he went forward, not Boyle who was on Flynn. It was a tough job though as McMahon was dropping back and then bursting forward

- SOS was very good in the first half although the 9th Dublin point was from him trying to buy a free on the sideline

- Dublin were completely at sea until the goal, if we hadn't conceded that, they weren't coming back. Dublin got lucky with a terrible decision from Hennelly and a brilliant intervention from BB. The importance of Keegan's miss (which was at 45mins) is being overplayed

- The second goal was a throw but I think Dublin would have won anyway. Umpire should have noticed it though

- Dunno what he said to AOS but McMahon is an unlikeable c*nt. Fair play to Andrews, McCaffrey & Connolly who were making a big effort to shake his hand and disassociate themselves from whatever was said

Certainly didn t help.

Bench was bare for this level. Only Andy can make an impact. With Cunniffe injured we d only Durkan can do a job at the back.

No replacements for the workers in hf line when they begin to tire either.

People with go on and on about a marquee forward but the lack of back up in middle third was glaring. Jason Gibbons is badly missed. Hopefully another DOC type will show up soon.

Dublin on the other hand could play a high tempo from the start knowing the bench could sustain it or crank it up even in last quarter. Even without the Hennelly collapse not sure we would have had the where-with-all to hang on. I don t think our game management would have been good enough in spite of the positive signs from the Donegal game.

As The Examiner article highlighted yet another management is not pulling its weight when they need to step up at this time of year. They didn t address problems or give us any edge with tactics between draw and replay.

Not convinced about the argument about a few new players making the difference. No point in giving a chef a few exciting new ingredients. If he's a shite cook he ll still make a mess of the meal.

macdanger2

Quote from: highorlow on September 09, 2015, 10:29:31 PM
Ken Early is some clown.

???

Actually, Dessie Dolan is completely clueless as a co-commentator. Nowhere near as annoying sounding as tom tom or carney though

highorlow

Quote[Quote from: highorlow on Today at 10:29:31 PM
Ken Early is some clown.

What'd he say now?/quote]

Something scurrilous about the people of mayo I think, it was on that 2nd captains show, watching it half pissed so maybe I've misheard him.

Horan was on, reckons we will be back and it will eventually fall in place for us.

bucko

Quote from: moysider on September 09, 2015, 10:45:36 PM

Certainly didn t help.

Bench was bare for this level. Only Andy can make an impact. With Cunniffe injured we d only Durkan can do a job at the back.

People with go on and on about a marquee forward but the lack of back up in middle third was glaring. Jason Gibbons is badly missed. Hopefully another DOC type will show up soon.

Dublin on the other hand could play a high tempo from the start knowing the bench could sustain it or crank it up even in last quarter. Even without the Hennelly collapse not sure we would have had the where-with-all to hang on. I don t think our game management would have been good enough in spite of the positive signs from the Donegal game.

As The Examiner article highlighted yet another management is not pulling its weight when they need to step up at this time of year. They didn t address problems or give us any edge with tactics between draw and replay.

Not convinced about the argument about a few new players making the difference. No point in giving a chef a few exciting new ingredients. If he's a shite cook he ll still make a mess of the meal.
Cunniffe was a loss, Vaughan's loss over the 2 games was even bigger IMO. Not having his athleticism and work rate for the full 70 over the 2 days meant we would struggle to stay with the pace of the game, especially in the last quarter. Using him from the start was a bad call because it forced an early switch where it would've been better to spend the lead up to the replay to plan without him.
The managements failures are even more concerning. Going into the first game and doing exactly what the opposition expects you to do is bad enough, repeating that with little or no variation is criminal. That they seemed to learn and adapt so little from the drawn game is a fairly damning indictment of the current set up.

moysider

Don t care what this muppet's opinion is either ::)

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: moysider on September 09, 2015, 11:39:20 PM

Don t care what this muppet's opinion is either ::)

Bit harsh after what I thought was a decent post by bucko  ;)
Hasta la victoria siempre

Heshs Umpire

Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

AZOffaly

Quote from: Syferus on September 09, 2015, 07:13:55 PM
Quote from: Hound on September 09, 2015, 05:39:23 PM
COC would walk into the Dublin team, but probably wouldn't get into the Kerry team

I think the opposite is true. Rock a bit like COC. Can go missing in play but usually solid from placed balls. COC obviously a better player but Kerry have less options up front than Dublin.

You have a serious horn for Kerry. Kerry have the following options for up front from the last day.

Stephen O'Brien, Johnny Buckley, Donnchadh Walsh, Colm Cooper, Kieran Donaghy, James O'Donoghue , Bryan Sheehan, Paul Geaney, Barry John Keane, Darran O'Sullivan, Paul Galvin, Tommy Walsh.

highorlow

QuoteStarting B Moran was the losing of the game for me,

I heard Tom Parsons had a broken thumb so that could have been a reason for starting him. Also as another poster said the management didn't grad MacMahon by the neck and throw him to the ground leaving us short in midfield.

The management had a few tough decisions to make as is always the case with the replay. They will learn for next year. My only objection on the day to the starting team was not having a new forward in there to support AOS. Based on all our turnovers I don't think it would have made a difference.

It's important / crucial that we blend in new lads to our half forward and half back line line for next year, lads that will stand up and be counted on the big days. I'd prefer to see Higgins back in the forward line next year, he can take a point and has loads of pace, that's what we are missing up front.

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 10, 2015, 09:21:28 AM
Quote from: Syferus on September 09, 2015, 07:13:55 PM
Quote from: Hound on September 09, 2015, 05:39:23 PM
COC would walk into the Dublin team, but probably wouldn't get into the Kerry team

I think the opposite is true. Rock a bit like COC. Can go missing in play but usually solid from placed balls. COC obviously a better player but Kerry have less options up front than Dublin.

You have a serious horn for Kerry. Kerry have the following options for up front from the last day.

Stephen O'Brien, Johnny Buckley, Donnchadh Walsh, Colm Cooper, Kieran Donaghy, James O'Donoghue , Bryan Sheehan, Paul Geaney, Barry John Keane, Darran O'Sullivan, Paul Galvin, Tommy Walsh.

Lads the only people who are definitely ahead of a fit COC, in the FF line imho, from that list (Kieran O'Leary another?), would be fit JOD & the Gooch. Donaghy is long past it, except for the odd cameo against us and the rest, while obviously talented, are not consistent enough to hold down full time places in that Kerry FF line. Geaney may go on to be a serious player, but he is dispensable from a Kerry management POV at the moment, as we have seen this year.

Considering the talent and supply around the FF line, you would expect COC to make hay there.
MWWSI 2017

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: highorlow on September 10, 2015, 09:24:23 AM
QuoteStarting B Moran was the losing of the game for me,

I heard Tom Parsons had a broken thumb so that could have been a reason for starting him. Also as another poster said the management didn't grad MacMahon by the neck and throw him to the ground leaving us short in midfield.

The management had a few tough decisions to make as is always the case with the replay. They will learn for next year. My only objection on the day to the starting team was not having a new forward in there to support AOS. Based on all our turnovers I don't think it would have made a difference.

It's important / crucial that we blend in new lads to our half forward and half back line line for next year, lads that will stand up and be counted on the big days. I'd prefer to see Higgins back in the forward line next year, he can take a point and has loads of pace, that's what we are missing up front.

Unfortunately that's another year of commitment these players have to give. It's not good enough to say H&C will learn for next year. They should be able to adapt the game plan as the game unfolds. After some of the decisions over the 2 games against Dublin I have zero confidence in them to get this group over the line.

Nihilist

Quote from: bucko on September 09, 2015, 11:31:58 PM
Quote from: moysider on September 09, 2015, 10:45:36 PM

Certainly didn t help.

Cunniffe was a loss, Vaughan's loss over the 2 games was even bigger IMO. Not having his athleticism and work rate for the full 70 over the 2 days meant we would struggle to stay with the pace of the game, especially in the last quarter. Using him from the start was a bad call because it forced an early switch where it would've been better to spend the lead up to the replay to plan without him.
The managements failures are even more concerning. Going into the first game and doing exactly what the opposition expects you to do is bad enough, repeating that with little or no variation is criminal. That they seemed to learn and adapt so little from the drawn game is a fairly damning indictment of the current set up.

Watched the game again for the first time on TV.  Dublin are a different animal when they play that high tempo game. Having said that we stayed with them and led them for a long time. I agree about the Keegan missed point. It didn't make that much difference in the overall game. They scored a free and then Durcan scored a great score after to put us 4 up again after we had dominated possession for a long time.
Barry Moran was withdrawn for Freeman and AOS was brought back into midfield. Looking at it again it actually seems quite logical. We needed a better ball winner in there and B Moran was tiring and was never going to last the 70. We needed fresh legs and Freeman was the obvious option. But at that stage we were still controlling the game comfortably and Dublin were starting to push it really hard and were beginning to lose with a few key passes going badly astray in the forwards. 

Then came the goals which were poor though. It was a bad kickout that led to the first one when Dublin were pushing on big time. The backs were all doing a man to man job (which was fair enough as the likes of Andrews and Brogan could and were all scoring from distance the last day).  So no one tracked midfielder Fenton as he broke through. Dunno was it AOS or Parsons that was marking him but they were 5 yards off with the quick handpassing that Dublin do after winning the initial ball.  A mishit shot from Fenton and Brogan finished well.
Second one was criminal though.  Hennelly didn't cover himself in glory here either but Boyle I think shoulda done better. He was the free man but went in and committed to stopping the hand pass but didn't. But even if it was a throw there is no way Brogan should have gotten through that far and the FB line have to take responsibility for it as well.

Then Dublin went defensive on us, played keep ball and we couldn't and didn't have the energy to get it back. Last goal was well taken but he would have taken the point in a level match.  Hard to know what more coulda been done. I thought the game plan was good actually. It was even said on commentary that Mayo were willing to let Dublin have the kickout because they believed they could take them on physically in the middle third. And for most of the game I think that was the right option and we won that battle. so I think the strategy of not pushing up completely on the kickout was correct.

I think we lost it with it not being as physical a game as the last one. That suited Dublin's running and passing game more than us. Also we were not ruthless enough up front. We didn't have that killer score when needed (even a point). Someone to win the ball or make the yard and bang one over. Durcans was good but we needed another when Dublin were pushing hard. It would have taken the momentum all out of them and forced them into an even higher tempo with more panic in front of our goal. But that's the way it goes. They got the crucial score and we didn't.