AIFSF Replay Mayo v Dublin, Sat 5th Sept. HQ.

Started by highorlow, September 01, 2015, 10:28:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dublin7

Quote from: Hound on September 09, 2015, 01:28:43 PM
Quote from: muppet on September 09, 2015, 01:24:38 PM
I really don't get lads having a dig at Cillian all the time.

He scored 2-15 in the two games. I think he was 100% for his frees. And that is half fit. He is always rushed back from injury - remember the two dislocated shoulders? He is always man marked by the best defender on the other side. WTF more can the lad do?
Over the two games, it was a majestic display of freetaking.
He free taking was superb, but it shouldn't get you MOM awards or an all star. Doesn't do enough from open play. His younger brother DOC is a better player. One of the main reasons Mayo haven't won big games is they don't have  a go to forward who can get a score from nowhere despite being tightly marked.  Real lack of pace in the forwards especially in the FF line.

Canalman

Brilliant freetaking imo should not be sneered at. No reason why COC imo shouldn't get an Allstar.

Plenty of players and teams without AI medals because of a lack of a great freetaker. Plenty others swaggering around with them because of a great freetaker.

Keane

Cillian O'Connor won't even get nominated ffs

Syferus

Hound

COC would walk into the Dublin team, but probably wouldn't get into the Kerry team

ballinaman

Thought Mike Quirke in the examiner was a better article than Darragh OSe

Syferus

Quote from: Hound on September 09, 2015, 05:39:23 PM
COC would walk into the Dublin team, but probably wouldn't get into the Kerry team

I think the opposite is true. Rock a bit like COC. Can go missing in play but usually solid from placed balls. COC obviously a better player but Kerry have less options up front than Dublin.

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: Syferus on September 09, 2015, 07:13:55 PM

I think the opposite is true. Rock a bit like COC. Can go missing in play but usually solid from placed balls. COC obviously a better player but Kerry have less options up front than Dublin.

Rock isn't nearly as solid from frees
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

bucko

He scored 2-15 in the two games. I think he was 100% for his frees. And that is half fit. He is always rushed back from injury - remember the two dislocated shoulders? He is always man marked by the best defender on the other side. WTF more can the lad do?
He missed most of the latter part of this year's league with a knee problem, he was even rated as being doubtful in the build up to the Galway game. I'd say we have yet to to see COC play a full season injury free.

Maroon Manc

It's a debate I always have with several of your fellow county men, I don't rate him as highly as they do. He's a very good footballer, is outstanding from placed balls but doesn't score enough from open play in the big matches. In the 9 All Ireland semi finals and finals matches he's played in since 2011 he has 7 points from play. I know he's got a number of goals in those matches although most of them have been penalties.

He has age on his side and he's had his injury problems so maybe I'm been a bit harsh but only time will tell.

He

rodney trotter

Thought Alan Freeman would have had a bigger role with Mayo this year under a new management, or is his confidence still low from 2013 All Ireland final?

He knows where the posts are unlike a few other Mayo forwards, maybe lacks a bit of aggression.

moysider

Quote from: ballinaman on September 09, 2015, 06:46:54 PM

Agree. Between the two of them they nail our 2 biggest issues on the day. A goalkeeper meltdown and lack of coaching and tactical nous from the sideline.

We should be able to remedy the first issue but the second one is more problematic. Beyond repair imo.

haze

Quote from: Syferus on September 09, 2015, 07:13:55 PM

Less options really?? I would be surprised if I heard a Dublin supporter make that argument. Now if Mannion, O'Gara, Costello (what's happened there?) were options then I could see an argument.

Kerry can pick six from Gooch, Donaghy, Michael Geaney, Darren O'Sullivan, Paul Geaney, Darren O'Sullivan, Stephen O'Brien, Donnacha Walsh, James O'Donoghue, BJ Keane, Johnny Buckley, Paul Galvin and Tommy Walsh!!

Farrandeelin

Quote from: moysider on September 09, 2015, 09:34:25 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on September 09, 2015, 06:46:54 PM

Agree. Between the two of them they nail our 2 biggest issues on the day. A goalkeeper meltdown and lack of coaching and tactical nous from the sideline.

We should be able to remedy the first issue but the second one is more problematic. Beyond repair imo.

I'm not a fan of Pateen, but was it ever 'repaired' if you get me? The circumstances in which the pair were appointed last year was nothing short of disgraceful, and that interview, remember that! To be fair, all season, they seemed to be like 'lucky generals' and it is exactly what they are, for getting the team this far. I honestly thought that they had 'turned a corner' to borrow a phrase when they beat Donegal, yet the pundits were spot on. Donegal were a tired team with their medals and Mayo were badly shown up for most of the first game and couldn't finish the job off when 4 points up with 15 to go the last day. Dublin seemed to get their scores easier the both days too.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.