AIFSF Replay Mayo v Dublin, Sat 5th Sept. HQ.

Started by highorlow, September 01, 2015, 10:28:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

How often were they just  kicking aimless brainless balls in the general direction of the Dublin square....?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

lenny

Quote from: An Watcher on September 05, 2015, 07:13:37 PM
Hard to feel sorry for mayo when they've so many sob stories. Do they just not have the balls for it. The game was there for them and they stopped

Not about having the balls. Dublin just had far more firepower, ie much better forwards.

easytiger95

Hard luck to Mayo- magnificent over two games - though it will mean nothing to them and their fans. We have a deeper squad than them, simple as that. Gavin had more cards to play then the Mayo management, and to be fair, he played them well. All I can say is remember Dubs in 95 who used heartbreak as fuel. Ye will be back.

As for people saying we proved our character, we did that in 2011 and in 2013 - we have nothing left to prove on that score.

dublin7

Cillian O'CONNOR found out today. Can kick frees from anywhere, but in open  play not a real top class forward. Mayo forwards in the 2nd half were as rubbish as they were the 1st day. Only difference no ref to give them easy frees. Once dubs stopped fouling Mayo forwards shown up for the poor finishers they are. Dubs subs made a huge difference. McManamon with another moment of magic. Mayo didn't have a forward who could do the same.

imtommygunn

Once they were over the 45 mayo had nothing. The boys further back carried them but it was just too much. Dublin could put 6 or 7 boys in there who'd be effective.

dublin7

Quote from: Chimley on September 05, 2015, 05:55:38 PM
I think that mayo were the fitter team last week. That might tell but Dubs to play the McManamon card yet and this type of game is made for his runs. A couple of Dublin goals could be on the cards. In the balance
Would you have a go at the lotto numbers for next weekend. Spot on my friend

straightred

Quote from: BennyHarp on September 05, 2015, 06:49:33 PM
Fair play to Dublin, great win and played very well, especially after going 4 down. Showed a bit of heart that I thought they lacked. Big decision by Kinsella to black card Seamus O'Se, I think it was a big loss to Mayo.

Agree with this and if the black wasn't bad enough dublin sprung Michael Darragh from the bench and he ran amok. Dublin just about coped with losing their midfield last week - mayo didn't.

on the hop

Quote from: dublin7 on September 05, 2015, 07:21:01 PM
Cillian O'CONNOR found out today. Can kick frees from anywhere, but in open  play not a real top class forward. Mayo forwards in the 2nd half were as rubbish as they were the 1st day. Only difference no ref to give them easy frees. Once dubs stopped fouling Mayo forwards shown up for the poor finishers they are. Dubs subs made a huge difference. McManamon with another moment of magic. Mayo didn't have a forward who could do the same.

That would cillian o Connor who scored the same as brogan from play???

screenexile

Mayo's lack of a coherent attacking plan and those terrible lapses for the goals their undoing. Dubs played well though and their bench was excellent. Connolly, Flynn, Bastick, Rock all anonymous really but MDMA, McManamon, Brogan, Fitzsimons all made an impact when brought on and that was the difference.

Keegan missed a really really easy chance that would have put Mayo 5 up and I think that ultimately disrupted Mayo's rhythm and left the door ajar for the Dubs... I didn't think they'd bust the door down though they finished ridiculously strong!

Great game roll on the final!

straightred

Quote from: BennyCake on September 05, 2015, 06:36:56 PM
Overcarried, throw ball and foul on keeper. Just give them Sam now and don't bother playing the final.

1.no more or less than moran did for mayo's goal.
2. throw ball - dont think so. would need to see a replay
3. foul - seriously ? get a grip

Main Street

A titanic encounter over the 2 games and in the end, well deserved by the Dubs,  they never let their heads lie after conceding the goal and worked hard to  hit to hit their golden patch from which there was no comeback for Mayo.

Syferus

Mayo had it in their grasp if they had guile when they got the goal. Started to make them more erratic up front rather than fill them with confidence afterwards.

Mayo destroyed themselves with their over-reliance on AOS at FF, pumping the ball into him when better and closer options were available. Two men on him at all times and usually a third was quick to help out. They moved AOS to the middle for the final quarter and the two men marking him came with, leaving COC and Andy/Freeman 2-on-2 inside but they never really had enough ball to capitalise.

More structure going forward and Mayo could easily have won. Suffed at Dublin's 45 regularly, I thought back to us in our D3 days for the standard of attacking invention Mayo offered today.

Connelly/Holmes haven't added much of anything to Mayo this year, AOS at FF was fine but these two games exposed that there was no improvement in attacking play and if anything there was an overall regression. All well and good bullying Sligo and a shot Donegal but this what when the new management were properly tested and they failed.

How Jason Doherty lasted the match without any impact as midfielder and back were cycled in and out is beyond me. Strange substitutions, in the end the only midfielder Mayo had left on the field was the one who started at FF all year.

I couldn't help but think Mayo wouldn't have been as undercooked going forward if McStay was managing them. He showed an adaptability that Mayo sorely lacked today. Their loss might be our gain..

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

INDIANA

Very fortunate Dublin win in the end. Mayo outplayed us for the first 55 minutes.

lee Keegan had an opportunity to put them 5 up. If he kicks that we aren't coming back. Small margins.

Backs were largely destroyed outside Mc Carthy and Philly who had O Se in his pocket.

Flynn is way off the pace. Rock not up to it and Bastick is a 20 minute man.

Fenton was brilliant I thought and Andrews was out of this world ably assisted by kilkenny.

Connolly shouldn't have played really was anonymous- I think the booing every time he touched the ball was a bit much.

Alan Brogan was outstanding as was Kev Mac when they came on. MDMA did better too.

Mayo just don't have the composure for some reason. The players are there but it's a question of whether they can make real time good decisions when the game is in the melting pot because they had that game won. I feel for their fans its rough going falling marginally short every year. But they have to improve on that.

I don't know whether having people associated with 1996 is good on the sideline. I think Mayo need someone like Pat Gilroy- someone of that ilk.

As regards the final. I can't see us winning it. Kerry have too many answers in too many positions. So that should will ensure some level of equilibrium is kept around the country.

screenexile

Quote from: straightred on September 05, 2015, 07:45:12 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on September 05, 2015, 06:36:56 PM
Overcarried, throw ball and foul on keeper. Just give them Sam now and don't bother playing the final.

1.no more or less than moran did for mayo's goal.
2. throw ball - dont think so. would need to see a replay
3. foul - seriously ? get a grip

There was no conceivable way Brogan didn't throw the ball but it was difficult for ref to see so If give him the benefit of the doubt. Fair play to the majority of the Mayo lads taking the defeat in the right spirit. I hope that team comes back and cam unearth one or two forwards.

I actually thought O'Connor was excellent today given the limited ball he had but the ball into the forward line was clueless too often.

Really looking forward to the final!