AIFSF Replay Mayo v Dublin, Sat 5th Sept. HQ.

Started by highorlow, September 01, 2015, 10:28:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Quote from: Beard on September 05, 2015, 08:33:14 PM
Thought MD McAuley was outstanding today when he come on. I wonder if he hadn't been black carded last week would Mayo have been able to force a replay.

He was outstanding indeed.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: INDIANA on September 05, 2015, 08:35:47 PM
Quote from: Syferus on September 05, 2015, 08:27:22 PM
Quote from: maigheo on September 05, 2015, 08:18:25 PM
Well done Dublin.Deserving winners today .Syferus ,would you ever fu-ck off in pushing your McStay agenda .Now is not the time

It's a fair point. Mayo may have made the wrong choice last Autumn. Tactics today were brutal. No real push on Cluxton's kickouts to exploit Dublin's weak middle, no ideas past kicking it to AOS. Caught on the Dublin 45 so often. Management had a whole match last week to think around those things and they seemed to arrive with very little different today.

Also thought Aslan were class. Great to see Christy Dignam in fine form.

After 53 minutes Syferus it looked like a good plan to me. Have you ever managed anyone?

Because with the best will in the world and the best plans- when a team hits you for 2 goals in 4 minutes there ain't much you can do about it on the sideline. It's not Football Manager you know.

Mayo players have to take some level of responsibility. It's the same bloody mistakes every year. And also lads like Aidan O Se need to turn up on big days too and not just against Sligo. They'd drive you to being an alcoholic

Agree with this assessment Indiana. I'm sick of the mistakes, year in, year out, the amount of goals Mayo have gifted to teams when they're ahead is bloody shocking. I'm not going to give a 'doom and gloom' verdict just now, but we are at a crossroads, and where we go from here, I'm not too confident about. Credit where credit's due, Gavin played his bench to a tee, and it worked.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

INDIANA

Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 05, 2015, 08:56:19 PM
Well done Dublin.Deserving winners today .Syferus ,would you ever fu-ck off in pushing your McStay agenda .Now is not the time

It's a fair point. Mayo may have made the wrong choice last Autumn. Tactics today were brutal. No real push on Cluxton's kickouts to exploit Dublin's weak middle, no ideas past kicking it to AOS. Caught on the Dublin 45 so often. Management had a whole match last week to think around those things and they seemed to arrive with very little different today.

After 53 minutes Syferus it looked like a good plan to me. Have you ever managed anyone?

Because with the best will in the world and the best plans- when a team hits you for 2 goals in 4 minutes there ain't much you can do about it on the sideline. It's not Football Manager you know.

Mayo players have to take some level of responsibility. It's the same bloody mistakes every year. And also lads like Aidan O Se need to turn up on big days too and not just against Sligo. They'd drive you to being an alcoholic

Agree with this assessment Indiana. I'm sick of the mistakes, year in, year out, the amount of goals Mayo have gifted to teams when they're ahead is bloody shocking. I'm not going to give a 'doom and gloom' verdict just now, but we are at a crossroads, and where we go from here, I'm not too confident about. Credit where credit's due, Gavin played his bench to a tee, and it worked.

Gavin got lucky that's all. I didn't see much in the way of a distinct plan from Dublin today. You handed it to us.

stibhan

I think Mayo could have done what Dublin did after they went four ahead early in the second half--keep the ball. They weren't able to do this and kicked it aimlessly into Dublin's backline. Henelly's kickout was a mistake, of sorts, but how in the f**k were Mayo so exposed from that at the back? The ball was still kicked a good 50-60m so if Mayo were properly set up the most damage would have been a point. And that was undoubtedly the killer.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

orangeman

Quote from: INDIANA on September 05, 2015, 09:07:08 PM

Gavin got lucky that's all. I didn't see much in the way of a distinct plan from Dublin today. You handed it to us.

Dublin got the rub of the green but they had the players who were able to take full advantage of the luck that came their way. Mayo when they hit the front made a few wrong moves that cost them dearly. And Kevin made his usual very telling contribution.

Syferus

It wasn't looking good at 53 minutes Indy. The goal was basically Andy deciding 'f**k this shit' and ramming his way through three defenders. Even when four up Mayo were struggling to assert themselves on the front foot.

On only a few occasions did Mayo create any penetration going forward, some good outside scores, the odd free. But that will never win matches. Inter-play and creating more than Hollywood chances are what win matches.

The AOS tactic totally failed today and given Dublin were doubling up last week it wasn't hard to see Dublin trying to flood him out of the game. Cluxton was under little pressure despite his total meltdown in the final ten the last day. Why leave the free man when you made so much hay pushing up last week?

Mayo did really well to be level at half-time, you could see Dublin were way better at finding their men and getting inside Mayo's defence than the reverse.

FermGael

The game changed when mayo replaced their sweeper with a forward.
Absolute madness considering they were 4 up at that stage
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Main Street

Quote from: orangeman on September 05, 2015, 09:46:43 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on September 05, 2015, 09:07:08 PM

Dublin got the rub of the green but they had the players who were able to take full advantage of the luck that came their way. Mayo when they hit the front made a few wrong moves that cost them dearly. And Kevin made his usual very telling contribution.
The margins are tight but Dublin clearly deserved their victory, they worked hard for it and refused to bow when the game went for the taking , the "rub of the green" doesn't describe what happened, in any shape or form.
Pity for Mayo, they are a wonderful team and on individual football technical ability criteria, they are a street ahead  of every other team except Kerry.

ONeill

on individual football technical ability criteria, they are a street ahead  of every other team except Kerry.

Quare praise.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

mayoman dan

[/quote]

No Farr we were at a crossroads last autumn and we made our move.Today was the result of that.When it comes to tactics or gameplan we are just beginning to scratch the surface.

The Trap

Someone said that O'connor was like McManus of Monaghan........not even close as McManus is a massive threat from play and O'connor simply isn't............great free taker and good footballer O'connor and vital to the team but not a match winning forward.......

rodney trotter

Dublin have far more scoring options. Connolly was quiet and up stepped Paddy Andrews with a man of the match display.

Hard luck to Mayo. I thought they peaked during the Horan era but didn't get an All Ireland. They have gone back since then

INDIANA

Quote from: The Trap on September 05, 2015, 11:21:52 PM
Someone said that O'connor was like McManus of Monaghan........not even close as McManus is a massive threat from play and O'connor simply isn't............great free taker and good footballer O'connor and vital to the team but not a match winning forward.......

I thought that was O Connors best game for Mayo . And in fairness I can't stand him

Syferus

Quote from: INDIANA on September 05, 2015, 11:31:06 PM
Quote from: The Trap on September 05, 2015, 11:21:52 PM

I thought that was O Connors best game for Mayo . And in fairness I can't stand him

It was Diarmuid O'Connor's best day alright. Far from Cillian O'Connor's though.