AIFSF Replay Mayo v Dublin, Sat 5th Sept. HQ.

Started by highorlow, September 01, 2015, 10:28:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maroon Manc

Quote from: ballinaman on September 01, 2015, 10:30:32 PM
Quote from: Hound on September 01, 2015, 10:12:28 PM
Hadn't come across Drake before Sunday. Would he generally be regarded as a forward, midfielder or defender?
Wing back under Horan in the league. Saw him playing midfield for Ballaghadereen in the club championship earlier in the summer. Wasn't in the 26 for the Donegal game. Didn't see that decision to start him coming.

Maybe his brother in law swayed the management.

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: galwayman on September 01, 2015, 10:04:18 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on September 01, 2015, 10:01:04 PM
Quote from: galwayman on September 01, 2015, 09:42:15 PM
I can't see how Dermo won't get off unless they upgrade Keegan to a red card which would be a fair outcome .
On what basis can you not see how Connolly won't get off? Leaving aside what Keegan did or didn't do to provoke it (and yes he clearly targeted DC for the majority of the game) -> it was a clear punch/strike, no? I really don't see how that can be overturned.

In saying that from a neutral perspective it's a shame as would like to see both teams at full strength going at it again.
If O Carroll is out as well they are 2 major losses for Dublin.

On the basis of he punched him

Yes. Exactly my point. I'm asking him why he cannot see Connolly not getting off even though it was a clear punch.

That's worded quite confusingly I thought you were saying on what basis would he not get off, like saying how do you think he won't get off
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on September 01, 2015, 10:31:50 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on September 01, 2015, 10:01:04 PM
Quote from: galwayman on September 01, 2015, 09:42:15 PM
I can't see how Dermo won't get off unless they upgrade Keegan to a red card which would be a fair outcome .
On what basis can you not see how Connolly won't get off? Leaving aside what Keegan did or didn't do to provoke it (and yes he clearly targeted DC for the majority of the game) -> it was a clear punch/strike, no? I really don't see how that can be overturned.

In saying that from a neutral perspective it's a shame as would like to see both teams at full strength going at it again.
If O Carroll is out as well they are 2 major losses for Dublin.

On the basis of he punched him

Should O'Connor have got a red card for his deliberate strike on O'Carroll?

Seeing as there never was a deliberate strike on O'Carroll... I'd say no but if you want to go there, there was a raft of possible black and red cards
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

highorlow

Good man Charlie adding fuel to the fire.

When will ye dubs realise that all this moaning is playing right into our hands? There is a danger that yer lads could get so wound up come Saturday ye will forget to play ball.

Carry on though.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

INDIANA

Quote from: highorlow on September 01, 2015, 11:37:22 PM

When will ye dubs realise that all this moaning is playing right into our hands? There is a danger that yer lads could get so wound up come Saturday ye will forget to play ball.

Carry on though.
What hands ? This isn't the final . You're not going to beat Kerry either way and neither are we . So enjoy your little moment at the weekend when we are missing 3-4 key players  and claim it as a win

Watched the game back a few minutes ago  and it was a very poor standard . Littered with bad passes, poor shooting and some awful hand passing

Sandy Hill

Completely unbiased opinion from Charlie; right!
"Stercus accidit"

moysider

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on September 01, 2015, 11:17:35 PM
Charlie Redmond interview

https://soundcloud.com/dublinsfm104/charlie-redmond?utm_source=soundcloud&utm_campaign=wtshare&utm_medium=Facebook&utm_content=https%3A%2F%2Fsoundcloud.com%2Fdublinsfm104%2Fcharlie-redmond[url

Thanks for that Squire. I dunno. It has become very nasty indeed when you get likes of Charlie getting so het up on a local station.

I agree with him about the umpires at the game. However he might have mentioned those umpires early negligence in not helping out McQuillan when O Carroll and particularly Cooper were committing fouls off the ball. Cooper could have been red-carded for foul on D O Connor. But if umpires had balls he would have been already on a yellow at that stage and Dublin would have been down to 14 at ht. The go at McStay and suggesting he should be got rid of was daft. He was ranting at that stage.

I would have expected a more reflective approach from a former player of his stature and a man of his maturity and experience but - like some of the Dublin posters on here - he appears to feel that stoking up resentment (he was playing for a Dublin audience) is the way to go.

I came on here to express how things might go tactically and what changes Mayo in particular might make. But there's no point.

moysider

Quote from: INDIANA on September 01, 2015, 11:45:44 PM
Quote from: highorlow on September 01, 2015, 11:37:22 PM

Carry on though.
What hands ? This isn't the final . You're not going to beat Kerry either way and neither are we . So enjoy your little moment at the weekend when we are missing 3-4 key players  and claim it as a win

Watched the game back a few minutes ago  and it was a very poor standard . Littered with bad passes, poor shooting and some awful hand passing

Agree. I was disappointed with a lot of our performance the last day and not optimistic about the replay. I understand what our management were trying to do but it maybe worked 60%. I think ye will be playing Kerry and ye will have a 50/50 chance on the day.
Our best chance was to steal it the last day and with a bit more composure we would have. But Hennelly was rash on last kick-out, Andy carried into traffic and before that Mikey Sweeney telegraphed a kick into a block. That was the game imo.

Ballaghman

Quote from: moysider on September 02, 2015, 12:22:37 AM
Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on September 01, 2015, 11:17:35 PM
Charlie Redmond interview

https://soundcloud.com/dublinsfm104/charlie-redmond?utm_source=soundcloud&utm_campaign=wtshare&utm_medium=Facebook&utm_content=https%3A%2F%2Fsoundcloud.com%2Fdublinsfm104%2Fcharlie-redmond[url

Thanks for that Squire. I dunno. It has become very nasty indeed when you get likes of Charlie getting so het up on a local station.

I agree with him about the umpires at the game. However he might have mentioned those umpires early negligence in not helping out McQuillan when O Carroll and particularly Cooper were committing fouls off the ball. Cooper could have been red-carded for foul on D O Connor. But if umpires had balls he would have been already on a yellow at that stage and Dublin would have been down to 14 at ht. The go at McStay and suggesting he should be got rid of was daft. He was ranting at that stage.

I would have expected a more reflective approach from a former player of his stature and a man of his maturity and experience but - like some of the Dublin posters on here - he appears to feel that stoking up resentment (he was playing for a Dublin audience) is the way to go.

I came on here to express how things might go tactically and what changes Mayo in particular might make. But there's no point.

Charlie is a clown Moy, no point analysing what he has to say. Embarrassing stuff.
This talk of what lad should have been black carded, yellow carded etc is tiresome. I thought Murph on second captains summed it up nicely. It was an absorbing, full throttle game of football played at full pelt. The physicality was brilliant to see close up. Yes some players stepped over the mark (mainly dubs but some Mayo lads too) but take that physicality out of the game and you're left with sanitised shite.
Keegan is a stirrer no doubt but he was cute and in no way should have been sent off. Connolly was frustrated from being cleaned by him yet again (as predicted) and he had a brain fart. Cooper was doing much worse to McLoughlin all day but Kev kept his head, not easy, but he did it. It affected his game but at least he didn't do something stupid to get sent off.
As for the next day. I'd love to see us go at Dublin and play our natural game from the start but that takes a lot of energy and I think we could start cagey enough again. Dublin would love to play their natural game too but both teams have massive (begrudging) respect for each other so they can't take too many risks either.
I'd say we will push up on Cluxtons kick outs earlier and better next day. If Dublin don't have a new plan to counteract this and if our forwards improve even marginally then I think we'll win. Some Dublin lads have suggested moving O'Sullivan to midfield. If Gavin tries something a little bolder like that and it works then Dublin may have an advantage.
It's too close to call confidently yet again. I know I'm dying to watch these two go at it again and play against their first real competition of the year. I wish we could just enjoy the contest more and stop bitching about the cards. This is real sport and a proper contest, it puts any other sport I watched at the weekend in the hay penny place.

Ballaghman

Quote from: Maroon Manc on September 01, 2015, 10:47:28 PM
Hadn't come across Drake before Sunday. Would he generally be regarded as a forward, midfielder or defender?
Wing back under Horan in the league. Saw him playing midfield for Ballaghadereen in the club championship earlier in the summer. Wasn't in the 26 for the Donegal game. Didn't see that decision to start him coming.

He was always a forward at underage and played there for Mayo minors in 2008. Has since been converted to a half back and sometimes midfielder at club level where his pace and athleticism are more useful. Has been 'going well in training' as the saying goes but was surprised/shocked to see him make his debut on a day like Sunday

maigheo

Just listened to Charlie.Jesus christ almighty what planet is he on.Would have expected more from him being an ex county man

Jell 0 Biafra

moysider

Quote from: Ballaghman on September 02, 2015, 12:56:55 AM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on September 01, 2015, 10:47:28 PM

He was always a forward at underage and played there for Mayo minors in 2008. Has since been converted to a half back and sometimes midfielder at club level where his pace and athleticism are more useful. Has been 'going well in training' as the saying goes but was surprised/shocked to see him make his debut on a day like Sunday

Drake can play, no doubt about it but I think maybe H&C might have over analysed it there.
I'd give McLoughlin the Drake role for replay. More experience and better radar for playing the game from back to front and picking passes and runs. His positioning the last day rendered him ineffective for us. he played off the point of Aidan and Cillian inside. The set up didn t do any of them justice. 

What to do? Dillon seems to be a gonner or otherwise he would have been used. Ideally we need 2 Andy Morans - one to start and one to finish! Can he do 70 and is he more important starting or finishing? Can we trust Freeman to start again? Play him beside Aidan with COC playing a bit deeper? Conroy is gone and Mikey Sweeney blew a great chance. Ronalson would appear to be a better option so don t know what's happening there.