Colm O'Rourke "abused and insulted" by Tyrone fans

Started by Cletus Fox, August 30, 2015, 11:26:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cletus Fox

Supporters reflecting their players. O'Rourke tells it like it is.

http://www.hoganstand.com/Football/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=243341

RTE pundit Colm O'Rourke didn't get a great reception from Tyrone fans in Croke Park last Sunday.

In his Sunday Independent column today, the Meath legend says his criticism of the Red Hands in the lead-up to their All-Ireland SFC semi-final defeat by Kerry "meant abuse, insult, and the threat of physical confrontation from Tyrone supporters before, during and after the game."

O'Rourke also hit back strongly at GAA president Aogán ó Fearghail's criticism of the punditry on The Sunday Game.

"When Aogán ó Fearghail branded The Sunday Game as 'tiresome' he should have cut his losses at that," he wrote.

"Maybe it is, and that is his subjective assessment. The show creates debate, arouses some controversy and deals with issues without fear or favour. Sometimes right, sometimes wrong. Viewers are not switching off, over three-quarters of a million were watching last Sunday, which is a huge figure. If that were transferred pro rata to Britain, it would be about ten million; the BBC would kill for a programme like that.

"The GAA president then railed against its consistent negativity. I did not realise that part of my role was to be a propaganda officer for the GAA. When games are bad, like most have been this summer, I will say they were bad. When we have a good match, like Kerry and Tyrone, then I will be first to recognise that also. What does the president want? Poodles to glorify the great organisation? Most people will recognise the silliness of his comments in this regard.

"However, if those musings could be dismissed as playing to the gallery then his comments about Tyrone, the press and the upcoming negotiations between the GAA and RTé need to be seriously challenged. He took exception to my comment about controversy following Tyrone around this year like a bad smell. This term was used in the context of various issues arising in their minor, under 21 and senior teams. ó Fearghail has decided, like Tyrone, to avoid the issues and shoot the messenger over a turn of phrase.

"What about a comment on the disgraceful scenes in the Monaghan-Tyrone game, the diving, feigning injury, sledging or interference from the sideline? The culprit is The Sunday Game for highlighting it.

"He also feels that Ulster teams get too much bad press and can understand how Tyrone are aggrieved. He is quoted as saying, "Now they have started to do well (Ulster teams ), then there's a little bit of edge to some commentary". He also made reference to the "southern media", where some of the criticism comes from. What a stupid insulting thing to say which only reinforces the bunker mentality displayed by Tyrone. If the president is saying it, it must be true.

"For a president of the GAA to use a term like the "southern media" indicates a serious lack of sense, common or otherwise. It is a signal insult to all the professional journalists who work in the media, who love the GAA and who comment on it without caring what province a county is from. Does the president really think that if any other county carried on like Tyrone that they would be treated any differently in the press or on The Sunday Game?

"If the answer is yes, that's even more worrying. I have no doubt that if Dublin, Mayo or Kerry involved themselves in the type of conduct which both Monaghan and Tyrone were at, the reaction would be the same."

The Trap

Emmmmmm he didn't really follow up on what he said........very cynical game today, any
Number of incidents......and he didn't open his mouth........adds to conspiracy theories me thinks.......apologise to the President.......don't think he will be on Sunday game next year so try your hand at taking Meath and see how good you are then........

Wildweasel74

I say he was a fairly better footballer than you ever be Trap to be honest, if your old enough to remember him playing

rrhf

Trap has to call him on his bias punditry.   O Rourke is an agenda driven bullshitter with a patronising demeanour.  Deserves all the slagging he gets from the fans.   

squire_in_navy_slacks

The Trap

Good footballer yes, one of the best, really loved watching him play.........but fair is fair and he has not been that. I am not one of tyrones biggest fans but the bias he has shown between tyrone games and dublin games is incredible........and the column he wrote today against the PResident will be his undoing........

Fear ón Srath Bán

This from an individual who boasts about sneaky digs to his tight-marking opponent's head?! Suck it up thug.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

ONeill

O'Rourke's star has fallen this year. Don't think many take anything he says as insightful.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

orangeman

I like O'Rourke but I'm not sure having this out in public with the President is sensible.

A disrepute charge should be proposed immediately.  ;)

Jinxy

Colm will take down the President and any lippy nordies that come within elbow range.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

The Trap

Colm on way out and not be missed.......let him
Take meath and brolly take Derry.......I would say they would really be found out then.......

Windmill abu

Quote from: Jinxy on August 31, 2015, 12:01:05 AM
Don't let the b**tards get you down, Colm.

Ba*kruptci*s

Fixed that without super injunctions or their ROI equivalent.
Never underestimate the power of complaining

stew

Quote from: rrhf on August 30, 2015, 11:47:14 PM
Trap has to call him on his bias punditry.   O Rourke is an agenda driven bullshitter with a patronising demeanour.  Deserves all the slagging he gets from the fans.

You cannot defend the indefensible, O'Rourke is right and this comment from Tyrone's resident twat says it all really!

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.