Ulster club senior football championship - 2015

Started by JoG2, August 27, 2015, 09:47:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: smelmoth on December 01, 2015, 08:10:06 PM
Surely the big talk of the various cards should focus on O'Callaghan's brainless red. If Cross had lost in normal time he would have had serious questions to answer and should still do.

Indeed. The Cross management are known for advocating the use of the foot, a good use of John Mc's boot would be up O'Callaghan's hole.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Orior

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on December 01, 2015, 08:42:17 PM
Quote from: Armamike on December 01, 2015, 08:40:03 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on December 01, 2015, 01:23:01 AM
Quote from: Throw ball on December 01, 2015, 12:34:36 AM
Cross have now won 7 Ulster titles in 10 years. The only teams beating them in championship football in that time in Ulster being Pearse Og Armagh in 2009 by 3 points, Kilcoo of Down in 2013 after a replay and 2 periods of extra time and Omagh of Tyrone last year by 2 points. None of the teams that beat them won Ulster. Although Cross people may not admit it the teams they fielded in 2013 and 2014 were not their strongest - Aaron Kernan was unable to start either game. Will the hoodoo they have over Armagh spread to Ulster.

I think most people will accept that there were a lot missing against Kilcoo in 2013, although Cross didn't give in easily. In 2014 I think Cross let it slip, notwithstanding some missing players. I suppose the hope for Armagh and Ulster is that in 5 or 6 years time Aaron won't be playing, but the danger is that he will be managing!

It used to be said Cross wouldn't be the same without Jim McConville, then it was the McEntees, then Oisin McConville. They keep reinventing themselves.

I'll tell you who will be hard replaced and that is big Hertz!

Plus Aaron and Tony.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Throw ball

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 01, 2015, 07:51:38 PM
It is what it is, clubs (especially my own) have tried to beat Cross and never got close (bar the odd few) but we found out how to beat them is simple (as tommy has said) you have to stop AK but that isn't enough and not as easy as that, winning midfield is a big area to for Cross, they my not win too many first time balls but they have lads sweeping up the dirty ball, they have great tacklers also which spoil the whole game, they play like Kilkenny (someone brought up the jersey's earlier ) on the edge and take the letter of the law to the limit ...

fair play to them... I've always been impressed by them regardless of the beatings (feckers)

Compared to the Cross team of the BCB era the current team are saints!

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Throw ball on December 02, 2015, 12:29:11 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 01, 2015, 07:51:38 PM
It is what it is, clubs (especially my own) have tried to beat Cross and never got close (bar the odd few) but we found out how to beat them is simple (as tommy has said) you have to stop AK but that isn't enough and not as easy as that, winning midfield is a big area to for Cross, they my not win too many first time balls but they have lads sweeping up the dirty ball, they have great tacklers also which spoil the whole game, they play like Kilkenny (someone brought up the jersey's earlier ) on the edge and take the letter of the law to the limit ...

fair play to them... I've always been impressed by them regardless of the beatings (feckers)

Compared to the Cross team of the BCB era the current team are saints!

Oi we'll have less of it!! We were clean honest to goodness footballers  :P

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Armamike on December 01, 2015, 08:34:32 PM
Am i missing something but this rule has always been around so why the furore over it now?  It's the same rule for everyone. Same old story concerning the teams that could have, should have but at the end of the day didn't actually beat Crossmaglen. Scotstown could not grab the initiative.  O'Callaghan was stupid to put his team in that position but lucky for him they held out.
yes, the rule has always been there, but this game in particular highlighted how stupid it is.
I'm not trying to have a go at crossmagleen or somehow trying to take away from their hard earned victory, I am just pointing out that IMO the rule is unfair and doesn't have much logic behind it.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

imtommygunn

Yeah the same could happened the other way round. Just a silly rule. Nothing to do with either of the teams playing.

Will Jamie Clarke be more available for the AI series BCB?

Leinster should be interesting. I would doubt that Clonmel would challenge the other 3 to be honest. The difference in those two games on sunday was night and day in terms of standard although it is hard to gauge conditions at times from the tv.

I think Cross will have too much for castlebar but I wouldn't be sure they would for whoever gets out of Leinster.

JoG2

Quote from: armaghniac on December 01, 2015, 06:32:33 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on December 01, 2015, 03:02:38 PM
because it is a new game, scoreboards reset to zero, new tickets, on a different date, another championship appearance against a mans name  etc etc. Extra time is not a new game (regardless of what the stupid rules says), its an extension of the same game. If you go down to 14 men, 13 men, whatever, it should carry into extra time as its the same game (except in GAA land when its not the same game, but a new game). The rule couldn't be any more Irish.

The scoreboard isn't set to zero in extra time, but as it was a draw it is much the same.  The rest of the guff abut extra tickets and so forth is irrelevant to the issue. The red carded offender cannot return, so all that happens is that a red card becomes a black card.

the rest of the 'guff' you sanctimonious hooer is to show how ridiculous the calling of extra time a 'new game' is. imo, allowing teams to start extra time with 15 is rewarding teams breaking rules. Its as simple as that. You get a man / men sent off during the 60 / 70 mins, the game goes into extra time, take your oil and have a word with the offenders in your team

Applesisapples

Can't help but thinking if it had been the other way round......

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 02, 2015, 08:45:05 AM
Yeah the same could happened the other way round. Just a silly rule. Nothing to do with either of the teams playing.

Leinster should be interesting. I would doubt that Clonmel would challenge the other 3 to be honest. The difference in those two games on sunday was night and day in terms of standard although it is hard to gauge conditions at times from the tv.

I think Cross will have too much for castlebar but I wouldn't be sure they would for whoever gets out of Leinster.

Castlebar will be very hard to beat.  Strong side with experience to boot from their 2014 run.  There are a good few of the Cross squad were not their for the last run so it will be a new experience to them too.  Jamie should be there. 

I didn't see the Clonmel game but is their any chance that Tir Connail might spring a surprise in Ruislip?

Applesisapples

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on December 02, 2015, 09:45:53 AM

Castlebar will be very hard to beat.  Strong side with experience to boot from their 2014 run.  There are a good few of the Cross squad were not their for the last run so it will be a new experience to them too.  Jamie should be there. 

I didn't see the Clonmel game but is their any chance that Tir Connail might spring a surprise in Ruislip?
It was more like a game of handball than Basketball. he conditions were similar to Armagh but I thought both teams lacked quality.

nrico2006

Clarke has said he will be there in February but may be venturing away on his travels again after so will probably give Armagh duty a miss.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

imtommygunn

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on December 02, 2015, 09:45:53 AM

I would say there's a chance...

Castlebar are a decent side but I don't think they're as good as cross though it may be ulster bias. The whole thing is very open these days. Clonmel may surprise as sometimes hard to gauge at this time of year... 3 of 4 will be in with a big chance.

Portlaoise might give Ballyboden their fill of it. Should be an interesting one.

Orior

Quote from: JoG2 on December 02, 2015, 09:38:19 AM
because it is a new game, scoreboards reset to zero, new tickets, on a different date, another championship appearance against a mans name  etc etc. Extra time is not a new game (regardless of what the stupid rules says), its an extension of the same game. If you go down to 14 men, 13 men, whatever, it should carry into extra time as its the same game (except in GAA land when its not the same game, but a new game). The rule couldn't be any more Irish.

The scoreboard isn't set to zero in extra time, but as it was a draw it is much the same.  The rest of the guff abut extra tickets and so forth is irrelevant to the issue. The red carded offender cannot return, so all that happens is that a red card becomes a black card.

the rest of the 'guff' you sanctimonious hooer is to show how ridiculous the calling of extra time a 'new game' is. imo, allowing teams to start extra time with 15 is rewarding teams breaking rules. Its as simple as that. You get a man / men sent off during the 60 / 70 mins, the game goes into extra time, take your oil and have a word with the offenders in your team

I'm with sanctimonious hooer on this. If a team finished with 14 men then would you propose that they start a replay with 14 men?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

JoG2

Quote from: Orior on December 02, 2015, 11:45:30 AM
Quote from: JoG2 on December 02, 2015, 09:38:19 AM

I'm with sanctimonious hooer on this. If a team finished with 14 men then would you propose that they start a replay with 14 men?

no, 15. It's a replay, a new game, not extra time @ the end of a game

nrico2006

Not going through every post on this thread here but are there seriously some people here saying that they think a team should be allowed to start extra time with 15 if they have lost men through red cards during the course of the game? 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'