Ulster club senior football championship - 2015

Started by JoG2, August 27, 2015, 09:47:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Quote from: general_lee on December 01, 2015, 12:31:56 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on December 01, 2015, 01:23:01 AM
Quote from: Throw ball on December 01, 2015, 12:34:36 AM
Cross have now won 7 Ulster titles in 10 years. The only teams beating them in championship football in that time in Ulster being Pearse Og Armagh in 2009 by 3 points, Kilcoo of Down in 2013 after a replay and 2 periods of extra time and Omagh of Tyrone last year by 2 points. None of the teams that beat them won Ulster. Although Cross people may not admit it the teams they fielded in 2013 and 2014 were not their strongest - Aaron Kernan was unable to start either game. Will the hoodoo they have over Armagh spread to Ulster.

I think most people will accept that there were a lot missing against Kilcoo in 2013, although Cross didn't give in easily. In 2014 I think Cross let it slip, notwithstanding some missing players. I suppose the hope for Armagh and Ulster is that in 5 or 6 years time Aaron won't be playing, but the danger is that he will be managing!

Cross won't be going anywhere anytime soon with or without AK.

Very strong minor team coming through I understand who are favs to win St Paul's. Unless the likes of Cullyhanna, Clann Éireann etc can transform their underage success into senior then I can't see there being any hope, not in Armagh anyway.

Kernan is the main man in that team. I said it before that if you want to beat Cross you have to mark him. He would need marked like he's a corner forward.

No way should you be able to return to 15 in extra time. Makes no sense whatsoever.

westbound

Quote from: nrico2006 on December 01, 2015, 01:13:47 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on December 01, 2015, 11:12:30 AM
On the extra time ruling, I think it is fair in an amateur sport that teams return to 15 at the start of ET. This is especially true in a final where no replay is provided for. All teams know the rules and no one is disadvantaged. I also think that yellow cards are too easy to get in football and refs to quick to dish them out.

Why do you think it is fair to return teams to the full 15 for ET?  And why does 'amateur' or 'professional' come into the equation?

It's not fair on a team who see the opposition go unpunished for a red card offence that happens in normal time.  Can someone fly kick the oppositions star man to the head in the last minute of normal time, get sent-off for a minute and return in extra time?

But if you take that to it's logical conclusion, why should a team start a replay with 15 men in a situation where no extra time was played?

JoG2

Quote from: westbound on December 01, 2015, 02:19:01 PM
On the extra time ruling, I think it is fair in an amateur sport that teams return to 15 at the start of ET. This is especially true in a final where no replay is provided for. All teams know the rules and no one is disadvantaged. I also think that yellow cards are too easy to get in football and refs to quick to dish them out.

Why do you think it is fair to return teams to the full 15 for ET?  And why does 'amateur' or 'professional' come into the equation?

It's not fair on a team who see the opposition go unpunished for a red card offence that happens in normal time.  Can someone fly kick the oppositions star man to the head in the last minute of normal time, get sent-off for a minute and return in extra time?

But if you take that to it's logical conclusion, why should a team start a replay with 15 men in a situation where no extra time was played?

because it is a new game, scoreboards reset to zero, new tickets, on a different date, another championship appearance against a mans name  etc etc. Extra time is not a new game (regardless of what the stupid rules says), its an extension of the same game. If you go down to 14 men, 13 men, whatever, it should carry into extra time as its the same game (except in GAA land when its not the same game, but a new game). The rule couldn't be any more Irish.

Applesisapples

Quite simply because any team that can draw with 14 vs 15 deserves another shot at it and in the Ulster Club a replay is not allowed. The rules apply to everyone and you know what they are when you enter. Its a long slog to 80 minutes for club teams in particular. And although in this instance Danny O'Callaghan deserved all he got there have been occasions where reds are either unwarranted or soft and it gives teams something to fight for. Just my opinion and others will not see it that way.

Applesisapples

Quote from: westbound on December 01, 2015, 02:19:01 PM

Exactly

brokencrossbar1

The rules are he rules and that's that.  Scotstown had the chance to win when we were down to 14 men.  It was for around 8 minutes injury time included and they didn't.  We had the extra man for about 17 minutes allowing for injury time and we made it count.  They had their chances and couldn't take them and that is the difference between winners and losers.

JoG2

Quote from: Applesisapples on December 01, 2015, 03:18:44 PM

Quite simply because any team that can draw with 14 vs 15 deserves another shot at it and in the Ulster Club a replay is not allowed. The rules apply to everyone and you know what they are when you enter. Its a long slog to 80 minutes for club teams in particular. And although in this instance Danny O'Callaghan deserved all he got there have been occasions where reds are either unwarranted or soft and it gives teams something to fight for. Just my opinion and others will not see it that way.

"Deserves got nothing to do with it" as Will Munny would say

You're advocating a team be rewarded for breaking the rules?

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on December 01, 2015, 03:30:00 PM
The rules are he rules and that's that.  Scotstown had the chance to win when we were down to 14 men.  It was for around 8 minutes injury time included and they didn't.  We had the extra man for about 17 minutes allowing for injury time and we made it count.  They had their chances and couldn't take them and that is the difference between winners and losers.
yes, but I think the point is Scotstown should have had an extra man for a round 10-12 minutes and both teams should have been down to 14 for that last 17 minutes.
Cross didn't do anthing wrong here , those are the rules as they stand and  as you say, they just made their advantage count better than Scotstown did.
IMO but, the rule is wrong and Cross shouldn't have had that period where they were a man up.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

armaghniac

Quote from: JoG2 on December 01, 2015, 03:02:38 PM
because it is a new game, scoreboards reset to zero, new tickets, on a different date, another championship appearance against a mans name  etc etc. Extra time is not a new game (regardless of what the stupid rules says), its an extension of the same game. If you go down to 14 men, 13 men, whatever, it should carry into extra time as its the same game (except in GAA land when its not the same game, but a new game). The rule couldn't be any more Irish.

The scoreboard isn't set to zero in extra time, but as it was a draw it is much the same.  The rest of the guff abut extra tickets and so forth is irrelevant to the issue. The red carded offender cannot return, so all that happens is that a red card becomes a black card.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Milltown Row2

It is what it is, clubs (especially my own) have tried to beat Cross and never got close (bar the odd few) but we found out how to beat them is simple (as tommy has said) you have to stop AK but that isn't enough and not as easy as that, winning midfield is a big area to for Cross, they my not win too many first time balls but they have lads sweeping up the dirty ball, they have great tacklers also which spoil the whole game, they play like Kilkenny (someone brought up the jersey's earlier ) on the edge and take the letter of the law to the limit ...

fair play to them... I've always been impressed by them regardless of the beatings (feckers)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

smelmoth

Surely the big talk of the various cards should focus on O'Callaghan's brainless red. If Cross had lost in normal time he would have had serious questions to answer and should still do.

On the concussion are we really sure Aaron Kernan was actually concussed?

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: smelmoth on December 01, 2015, 08:10:06 PM
Surely the big talk of the various cards should focus on O'Callaghan's brainless red. If Cross had lost in normal time he would have had serious questions to answer and should still do.

On the concussion are we really sure Aaron Kernan was actually concussed?

He wan't concussed,  he went to the hospital to get his hand checked and was back in the club later that night.  Just because you're knocked out doesn't automatically mean you will be concussed.

Armamike

Am i missing something but this rule has always been around so why the furore over it now?  It's the same rule for everyone. Same old story concerning the teams that could have, should have but at the end of the day didn't actually beat Crossmaglen. Scotstown could not grab the initiative.  O'Callaghan was stupid to put his team in that position but lucky for him they held out.
That's just, like your opinion man.

Armamike

Cross have now won 7 Ulster titles in 10 years. The only teams beating them in championship football in that time in Ulster being Pearse Og Armagh in 2009 by 3 points, Kilcoo of Down in 2013 after a replay and 2 periods of extra time and Omagh of Tyrone last year by 2 points. None of the teams that beat them won Ulster. Although Cross people may not admit it the teams they fielded in 2013 and 2014 were not their strongest - Aaron Kernan was unable to start either game. Will the hoodoo they have over Armagh spread to Ulster.

I think most people will accept that there were a lot missing against Kilcoo in 2013, although Cross didn't give in easily. In 2014 I think Cross let it slip, notwithstanding some missing players. I suppose the hope for Armagh and Ulster is that in 5 or 6 years time Aaron won't be playing, but the danger is that he will be managing!

It used to be said Cross wouldn't be the same without Jim McConville, then it was the McEntees, then Oisin McConville. They keep reinventing themselves.
That's just, like your opinion man.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Armamike on December 01, 2015, 08:40:03 PM

It used to be said Cross wouldn't be the same without Jim McConville, then it was the McEntees, then Oisin McConville. They keep reinventing themselves.

I'll tell you who will be hard replaced and that is big Hertz!