Is Stormont going to fall?

Started by Denn Forever, August 21, 2015, 10:46:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

Firstly I'd say SF are mightily pissed at the old comrades settling scores in this way. I'd have some sympathy for them in that regard. However some of their associations with known racketeers even at a lower level gives ammunition to Unionism. That said Unionists do not know the meaning of the word hypocrisy, they consort with all sorts of Loyalist paramilitaries, gang leaders and criminals in the interests of our fleg and culture. Nesbitt says Unionists don't trust SF as if trust is a one way street. I'd say nationalists and republicans have even less reason to trust PUL politicians given our experience from partition to now. PUL parties want equality but only on their terms, don't think about expressing Irish identity or ask for recognition of your symbols and flags. Just look at the NI run sporting bodies there is no on flag or anthem as opposed to the IRFU, GUI, Hockey and cricket. Unionists do not want to share power or this place. I note some of the simplistic posts from our southern brothers mainly aimed at SF (who are not blameless nor entirely to blame). The situation here is much more complicated and in the areas that McGuigan and Davidson come from little benefit from the peace process has filtered through. I would prefer that the two governments took control and run this place until a future generation that is not steeped in the sectarianism of the present can decide on an agreed way forward. I could go on and on but sure what's the point?

supersarsfields

Quote from: Rossfan on August 27, 2015, 11:06:11 AM
Quote from: Pub Bore on August 27, 2015, 10:06:02 AM
Looks like the Executive is a busted flush.  DUP want SF excluded, that will fail, DUP will walk.  Back to Direct Rule until the elections planned for next May I would think. 
And of course they don't have to make difficult Budgetary decisions  ::)
"Twas the Brits that cut yer benefits, Health, Education etc...."

Is this not the whole point. Bring in Direct rule, sort out welfare cuts, then back as you were.

93-DY-SAM

Am I missing something but has it taken this latest murder for the penny to drop with the PSNI and Unionists that the IRA might still be about in some shape or form? Or has this just been the moment they have been waiting and waiting for as an excuse to pull the plug?

haranguerer

Quote from: Rossfan on August 27, 2015, 11:06:11 AM

And of course they don't have to make difficult Budgetary decisions  ::)
"Twas the Brits that cut yer benefits, Health, Education etc...."

It wasn't SF who are trying to collapse the assembly, but their political rivals, who are unlikely to be amenable to helping SF out of the tricky situation they're in re welfare reform.

screenexile

Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on August 27, 2015, 11:53:09 AM
Am I missing something but has it taken this latest murder for the penny to drop with the PSNI and Unionists that the IRA might still be about in some shape or form? Or has this just been the moment they have been waiting and waiting for as an excuse to pull the plug?

They just needed a reason however flimsy to collapse the thing and then appeal to the hard line base that 'we can never trust the Republicans".

It's Electoral posturing which will affect the DUP more so than SF. I can't see this being a big issue to SF supporters but the UUP's move will get them a lot of the NO NEVER characters who Paisley used to lead over the cliff and then say it wasn't his fault!

It's all ridiculous anyway because the UUP were the first party into Stormont with SF at the time anyway.

It would all be funny if it wasn't peoples livelihoods at stake with this nonsense!!!

deiseach

Is Mike Teavee's (never get tired of that) grandstanding likely to go down well with the plain fleg-loving Unionist voter? Shinner bashing is always a winner, but surely they are too far gone at this stage.

Franko

Quote from: LCohen on August 26, 2015, 08:18:18 PM
Quote from: Franko on August 26, 2015, 07:11:57 PM
Quote from: LCohen on August 26, 2015, 07:04:34 PM
Quote from: Franko on August 26, 2015, 07:02:54 PM
Quote from: LCohen on August 26, 2015, 06:55:52 PM
Quote from: Franko on August 26, 2015, 06:53:37 PM
Quote from: LCohen on August 26, 2015, 06:40:00 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on August 26, 2015, 04:14:38 PM
Quote from: Syferus on August 26, 2015, 04:11:31 PM
Amazing how enough though it's the IRA and SF that are covering themselves in shit that a lot of this thread is directed at a unionist politician.

Is the perspective so warped in the north that ye can't see how unsettling it is to see a supposedly gone terrorist organisation settling scores with impunity, and the PSNI almost terrified to admit they're still active because it may effect the political process?

Too much 'defend my side at all costs' going on in IRA/SF circles right now. They can now choose to stick their heads in the ground ala Gerry Adams or actually root out these elements. Doing nothing or actively shielding these criminals isn't a solution.

Easy to say that from the comfort of having no experience of the alternative.

Everyone knows that there are uncomfortable things to have to 'put up' with on both sides but these are by far way better than the alternatives.

The longer the peace lasts the less need and relevance these elements will have and we can get to some kind of normality that 99.0% of the population would like.
So if we decide that we won't put up with UVF racketeering what will be the long term consequence?
If we decide to bust the fuel laundering and diluting in South Armagh will the money men throw their bombs out of the pram? Is that the sort of thing that masquerades as republicanism these days? Same with the drug dealers and the boys selling fake lottery tickets. Is the threat of republican violence just a means of keeping the police out of their criminal manors?

Bust them now.

That's the big brave internet warrior approach there.  You sound like a Fox News reporter talking about ISIS. Unfortunately in reality things have to be a little more nuanced.

So explain these real world nuances?
Do I really have to explain the likely political consequences of the PSNI going in gung-ho to 'bust' anyone involved in criminality in south Armagh? Really?
Please do. In detail
Sorry, I've better things to be doing so I'll decline your request. Tell you what, have a guess and I'll tell you if you're right or not.
No, no i set out my position. You said I didn't take account of the nuances. You know th nuances so spell them out. We have all the time in the world so time pressure is no excuse. Spell it out. Give us the detail.

You used the phrase "big brave internet warrior" so lets have no hiding

Speak for yourself!

You didn't set out your position.  You asked a few questions and then stated your entire plan which was 3 words long - 'bust them now'.  That's every bit as detailed as me saying 'it's not that easy'.

johnneycool

Quote from: Applesisapples on August 27, 2015, 11:11:41 AM
Firstly I'd say SF are mightily pissed at the old comrades settling scores in this way. I'd have some sympathy for them in that regard. However some of their associations with known racketeers even at a lower level gives ammunition to Unionism. That said Unionists do not know the meaning of the word hypocrisy, they consort with all sorts of Loyalist paramilitaries, gang leaders and criminals in the interests of our fleg and culture. Nesbitt says Unionists don't trust SF as if trust is a one way street. I'd say nationalists and republicans have even less reason to trust PUL politicians given our experience from partition to now. PUL parties want equality but only on their terms, don't think about expressing Irish identity or ask for recognition of your symbols and flags. Just look at the NI run sporting bodies there is no on flag or anthem as opposed to the IRFU, GUI, Hockey and cricket. Unionists do not want to share power or this place. I note some of the simplistic posts from our southern brothers mainly aimed at SF (who are not blameless nor entirely to blame). The situation here is much more complicated and in the areas that McGuigan and Davidson come from little benefit from the peace process has filtered through. I would prefer that the two governments took control and run this place until a future generation that is not steeped in the sectarianism of the present can decide on an agreed way forward. I could go on and on but sure what's the point?

That's the thing, Mike and the PUL are only too willing the pull the plug on Stormont as they'd be happy enough to be run by a secretary of state picked from the Conservative government in London.

Having the Dublin administration as part of the power sharing agreement will upset the loyalists and might cause Mike and Pete to get back round the table in Stormont.

naka

irish news in its editorial hits the nail on its head

"the huge pity is that many ordinary voters will no longer care either way"

Stormont has long since ceased to be relevant to most tax payers in the North

Pub Bore

Quote from: naka on August 27, 2015, 01:31:22 PM
irish news in its editorial hits the nail on its head

"the huge pity is that many ordinary voters will no longer care either way"

Stormont has long since ceased to be relevant to most tax payers in the North

This is true.  Also there is a large swathe of Unionism in NI that quite simply does not want power sharing, does not want a shared future, does not want anything to do with the South, Irish language, GAA or anything that's too green.  They are not the majority of PULs but they are significant.

Maguire01

Quote from: Applesisapples on August 27, 2015, 11:11:41 AM
I note some of the simplistic posts from our southern brothers mainly aimed at SF (who are not blameless nor entirely to blame). The situation here is much more complicated and in the areas that McGuigan and Davidson come from little benefit from the peace process has filtered through.
And whose fault is that? Who are the elected representatives for those two areas? If only it was a party in government...

Jeepers Creepers

News reporter Tara Mills asking Mike Teevee the question on everyone's lips. Fair play till her..
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1u-1fQC7L-A

An Watcher

Fair play tara. This whole thing is a sham. Unionists looking for any excuse to get out of there. Joke

ashman

These things generally get sorted as a) they don't was direct rule and b) it is a lucrative gig.

LCohen

Quote from: armaghniac on August 27, 2015, 07:07:51 AM
Quote from: LCohen on August 27, 2015, 06:57:08 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on August 26, 2015, 11:47:42 PM
Quote from: screenexile on August 26, 2015, 11:20:42 PM
I don't understand why we would and should not be busting the criminal gangs in South Armagh/Falls Road/Shankill/Sandy Row??

Sometimes a quiet life suits, the PSNI have quite modest resources compared to the old days. But if they "sort out" South Armagh/Falls Road then they would have to do something about Shankill/Sandy Row as well and that wouldn't do, would it?

If resources are the issue let the NCA have a go? I'm sure they would recover enough to fund it.

I dom't think you should leave people with the idea that the S Armagh thing is left alone because there is a bigger reluctance to tackle Shankill/Sandy Row criminality.

I was referring to resources in the context of manpower to roam around South Armagh.
But the reluctance extends beyond that. Dodgy fuel is being sold in Antrim and isn't being dealt with, a Nelsonian eye is being turned.

And if I have left people with the idea that the S Armagh thing is left alone because there is a bigger reluctance to tackle Shankill/Sandy Row criminality, why shouldn't I, when it is true?

Dodgy fuel being sold every where. Crack down on the lot at the point of "manufacture"

Set out your proof that there is a bigger reluctance to tackle Shankill/Sandy Row criminality than S Armagh criminality.