journalists trying to influence/lobby rule makers and disciplinary procedures.

Started by rrhf, August 11, 2015, 09:56:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: omaghjoe on August 13, 2015, 01:00:24 AM
Quote from: muppet on August 13, 2015, 12:44:13 AM
To be fair I think the initial reaction was on the internet and mainly on twitter. The gifs appeared rapidly, and remember, The Sunday Game didn't have the match. It was on a Saturday and Sky had it. The Sunday Game did have anything until a day later. Even on here the row was in full swing over 24 hours before TSG was broadcast: http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=26101.375

I accept your point that they are more likely now to look at Tyrone with a cynical eye, than your example Kerry. Donaghy for example is  relentlessly pushing and shoving and mouthing and no one says, or does anything about him.

But for whatever reason Tyrone are now received as the worst culprits. Is this fair? I honestly don't know. But it appears to be a reality and it will impact negatively on Tyrone. But the solution is in Tyrone. The solution for Tyrone certainly isn't going on an all out attack on 'The Southern Media', or 'D4' or partitionists or whatever. Does anyone seriously think that will shut people up?

Enlighten us with your eternal wisdom Muppet

Enlighten us how Tyrone GAA can stop journalist and pundits causing a shit storm every time Tyrone do something that every team in the country does?

Enlighten us how Tyrone can stop Spillane, O'Rourke etc being sickened at the sight of Tyrone winning.

Enlighten us how Tyrone can stop the CCCC acting on a whim from the above journalist's drivel?

This is an issue for them not Tyrone.

This is exactly what I am talking about.

a) Tyrone aren't winning. They haven't won since 2008 as a Tyrone supporter pointed out earlier. (This is not an insult - we haven't won since 1951 - merely pointing to claim that the pundits are sickened at you winning.
b) The shit storm started on here and twitter on Saturday, and was in full swing long before TSG got it. They merely reflected the outrage. (And yes the level of outrage was way over the top).
c) A Tyrone website claimed that the CCCC acted on a whim from journalists. YOU have claimed it was 'the above journalists'. I seriously doubt that happened.
d) Calm down. The frothing isn't helping. We need to hear some cool heads from Tyrone who can show up the witch hunt for exactly what it was: an ill-judged over-reaction from the CCCC.

MWWSI 2017

omaghjoe

Quote from: muppet on August 13, 2015, 01:23:26 AM
To be fair I think the initial reaction was on the internet and mainly on twitter. The gifs appeared rapidly, and remember, The Sunday Game didn't have the match. It was on a Saturday and Sky had it. The Sunday Game did have anything until a day later. Even on here the row was in full swing over 24 hours before TSG was broadcast: http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=26101.375

I accept your point that they are more likely now to look at Tyrone with a cynical eye, than your example Kerry. Donaghy for example is  relentlessly pushing and shoving and mouthing and no one says, or does anything about him.

But for whatever reason Tyrone are now received as the worst culprits. Is this fair? I honestly don't know. But it appears to be a reality and it will impact negatively on Tyrone. But the solution is in Tyrone. The solution for Tyrone certainly isn't going on an all out attack on 'The Southern Media', or 'D4' or partitionists or whatever. Does anyone seriously think that will shut people up?

Enlighten us how Tyrone GAA can stop journalist and pundits causing a shit storm every time Tyrone do something that every team in the country does?

Enlighten us how Tyrone can stop Spillane, O'Rourke etc being sickened at the sight of Tyrone winning.

Enlighten us how Tyrone can stop the CCCC acting on a whim from the above journalist's drivel?

a) Tyrone aren't winning. They haven't won since 2008 as a Tyrone supporter pointed out earlier. (This is not an insult - we haven't won since 1951 - merely pointing to claim that the pundits are sickened at you winning.
b) The shit storm started on here and twitter on Saturday, and was in full swing long before TSG got it. They merely reflected the outrage. (And yes the level of outrage was way over the top).
c) A Tyrone website claimed that the CCCC acted on a whim from journalists. YOU have claimed it was 'the above journalists'. I seriously doubt that happened.
d) Calm down. The frothing isn't helping. We need to hear some cool heads from Tyrone who can show up the witch hunt for exactly what it was: an ill-judged over-reaction from the CCCC.

They won Sat didnt they?

You should know by now I dont do calm or rational when it comes to football, why should I? Its just football, no one gets killed, it actually doesn't matter a shite, its just an outlet for us, so I use it. Calm and rational is for things that actually matter.

Besides. that's only a  deflection, u still never gave any of your advice? Or do you only keep that for yourself? Or you maybe u dont have any and just like to appear like your the source of all wisdom?

And whats all that shite about partitionists?

LeoMc

Dublin had a bad reputation for yapping / goading / biting / jaw breaking not too many years ago. They have shook much of that reputation over the past couple of years with the removal of Caffrey / Vaughn, etc, a focus on positive football (helped by a lack of competition in Leinster) and a compliant media.

Armamike

It's a bit lazy to pin this on 'the Southern media'. Our own media up north have been vocal this week. Paddy Heaney in the Irish News wrote a fairly damning piece on Tuesday.
That's just, like your opinion man.

Rossfan

Paddy H said it well alright.
Serve the Tyrones better to take that on board and realise they just might be doing wrong rather than the way they are reacting.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ziggysego

Quote from: Armamike on August 13, 2015, 09:15:00 AM
It's a bit lazy to pin this on 'the Southern media'. Our own media up north have been vocal this week. Paddy Heaney in the Irish News wrote a fairly damning piece on Tuesday.

Ack sure, he's a Derry man. Much worse than you Armagh ones ;)
Testing Accessibility

Armamike

Quote from: ziggysego on August 13, 2015, 10:25:46 AM

Thought that would be the response!
That's just, like your opinion man.

muppet

Quote from: omaghjoe on August 13, 2015, 01:39:55 AM

They won Sat didnt they?

You should know by now I dont do calm or rational when it comes to football, why should I? Its just football, no one gets killed, it actually doesn't matter a shite, its just an outlet for us, so I use it. Calm and rational is for things that actually matter.

Besides. that's only a  deflection, u still never gave any of your advice? Or do you only keep that for yourself? Or you maybe u dont have any and just like to appear like your the source of all wisdom?

Winning, to the pundits, means Sam. You are nothing in their eyes without it. We should know.

If I give any suggestions you and others will simply shoot them down one by one.

But it must be obvious that instead of refusing to talk, they should make people available for interviews as much as possible. Preferably calm, reasonable and friendly recently retired players. Take the heat out of the situation should be the objective instead of seething and shouting whataboutery from the rooftops.

Harte gave a Jennifer Lopez interview in the last few days where he started looking great, until we came to the dramatic 'but'. He criticised McCann but threw that all out the window by pointing the finger at others. All of this is not fair on Tyrone, but like I say the solution starts with them.

It was mentioned above that the Dubs got similar bad press sorted out. Remember the Hill 16 event against us and jumping onto the fence to celebrate a 14 yard free. All removed by Gilroy and look where it led him.
MWWSI 2017

GJL

James Horan has described Tiernan McCann's proposed eight-week ban as 'lunacy'.

The former Mayo manager claims the Killyclogher clubman has been "hung out to dry" by the GAA and fears the whole controversy could harm Tyrone's chances of upsetting Kerry in Sunday week's All-Ireland SFC semi-final.

"If Tiernan McCann is suspended for eight weeks, you'd have to question what the GAA is at," Horan writes in the Irish Daily Star.

"This proposed ban is absolute lunacy. It's yet another example of elements of the media setting the agenda and the GAA authorities following sheepishly behind.

"It has been argued that this furore will help Tyrone going into the All-Ireland semi-finals, that they'll feed off a siege mentality. I don't see it that way. This kind of stuff can't be helpful.

"The CCCC has made a big mistake in my opinion. This is a response to media hysteria. Joe Brolly set the ball rolling with a Sunday newspaper column and then the Sunday Game laid into McCann.

"It looks to be me as if Croke Park react to pressure from pundits. That's not right.

"McCann made a stupid mistake late on against Monaghan. He was daft and wrong in what he did (taking a dive) – there's no question about that. But he's been singled out as part of a witch-hunt by elements of the media."

Whishtup

Quote from: muppet on August 13, 2015, 12:08:01 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on August 13, 2015, 01:39:55 AM

They won Sat didnt they?

Winning, to the pundits, means Sam. You are nothing in their eyes without it. We should know.

If I give any suggestions you and others will simply shoot them down one by one.

But it must be obvious that instead of refusing to talk, they should make people available for interviews as much as possible. Preferably calm, reasonable and friendly recently retired players. Take the heat out of the situation should be the objective instead of seething and shouting whataboutery from the rooftops.

Harte gave a Jennifer Lopez interview in the last few days where he started looking great, until we came to the dramatic 'but'. He criticised McCann but threw that all out the window by pointing the finger at others. All of this is not fair on Tyrone, but like I say the solution starts with them.

It was mentioned above that the Dubs got similar bad press sorted out. Remember the Hill 16 event against us and jumping onto the fence to celebrate a 14 yard free. All removed by Gilroy and look where it led him.

I think you are confusing press and reputation.  The Dubs had a bad reputation for their antics in the past and never got anywhere near the media lambasting or bad press that Tyrone have endured.  In fact quite the opposite.  They only cleaned up their act because they wanted to win things(not get players sent off, etc.)  The trouble is that Tyrone's over the top (media-driven) bad press has been instrumental in giving them a bad reputation.  This in turn is leading to unfair bans that Dublin didn't have to experience.   

muppet

Tyrone has received one ban, and that may (and should imho) be overturned.

The Dubs have had at least two CCCC bans (for biting - one overturned I think) that I can think of off the top of my head. There may be more.
MWWSI 2017

screenexile

STOP ACTING THE MAGGOT DURING MATCHES

I see a way forward for Tyrone out of their current predicament. . .

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

I propose for televised inter-county championship matches that their be a 5th official with a handful of monitors and a headpiece to contact the referee that could help alleviate ridiculous decisions being made. There is already a precedence of sorts with hawkeye.

omaghjoe

Quote from: ziggysego on August 13, 2015, 10:25:46 AM

I see that Conan Doherty shitetalker on joe.ie is from Derry too, seems to be a theme goin on here...

When you can't match them on the pitch, use whatever backhanded means possible.

An inferiority complex is an awful thing.