County Manager Merry go round

Started by Rossfan, August 11, 2015, 02:39:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Look-Up!

Quote from: Rossfan on September 30, 2026, 01:43:41 PM
Quote from: Look-Up! on September 30, 2026, 12:49:25 PMLives in Tralee, works in Dingle as a principal I believe. Wouldn't like to be him driving or filling his car if he gets it.
Sponsored car and fuel "looked after" no doubt.
Understand that part but he still has to make the commute to Galway from Tralee. Plus he's in a fairly responsible job that involves a bit more than showing the face which also happens to be an hour commute one way in the opposite direction. And closest motorway being Limerick. Young kids too at that age where they're involved in everything requiring plenty of driving around. Must be married to a great woman.

Captain Obvious

Eamon boring voice Fitzmaurice to be appointed Galway manager tonight. The type of appointment that should give a decent idea on the theory of some that Joyce was underachieving.

Of course Galway last won the All-Ireland with outside manager or be a man from the same province than a Kerry fella.

Apparently Henry Shefflin clocked up around 25,000 kilometres in his first 6 months with Galway as he was presented with this set of wheels when appointed Galway hurling manager



Kick it in high

Quote from: Look-Up! on September 30, 2026, 02:13:48 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on September 30, 2026, 01:43:41 PM
Quote from: Look-Up! on September 30, 2026, 12:49:25 PMLives in Tralee, works in Dingle as a principal I believe. Wouldn't like to be him driving or filling his car if he gets it.
Sponsored car and fuel "looked after" no doubt.
Understand that part but he still has to make the commute to Galway from Tralee. Plus he's in a fairly responsible job that involves a bit more than showing the face which also happens to be an hour commute one way in the opposite direction. And closest motorway being Limerick. Young kids too at that age where they're involved in everything requiring plenty of driving around. Must be married to a great woman.
This is the new normal. For example davy fitz with antrim, mcconville with wicklow etc. Every man has his price by the sounds of things

Rossfan

Quote from: Look-Up! on September 30, 2026, 02:13:48 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on September 30, 2026, 01:43:41 PM
Quote from: Look-Up! on September 30, 2026, 12:49:25 PMLives in Tralee, works in Dingle as a principal I believe. Wouldn't like to be him driving or filling his car if he gets it.
Sponsored car and fuel "looked after" no doubt.
Understand that part but he still has to make the commute to Galway from Tralee. Plus he's in a fairly responsible job that involves a bit more than showing the face which also happens to be an hour commute one way in the opposite direction. And closest motorway being Limerick. Young kids too at that age where they're involved in everything requiring plenty of driving around. Must be married to a great woman.
He's hardly retirement age yet?
2026 the year of the 9 Cups

DaleCooper

Joyce was an ingenious manager. The problem , ironically given the new man, was he spoke far too fast and the players werent able to absorb the message.

Fair play to him for having a go anyway. Gentleman.


Blowitupref

From GAA.ie

QuoteGalway GAA's Management Committee is recommending Éamonn Fitzmaurice as the new senior football team boss in the county.

Fitzmaurice, who guided Kerry to All-Ireland glory in 2014, will succeed Padraic Joyce as Galway manager.

Paul Bellew, Galway GAA chairperson, is encouraged that Fitzmaurice has agreed to take on the role. "We are delighted to appoint a manager of Éamonn's calibre to lead the Galway senior footballers for the next three years," Bellew says.

"Éamonn's record as both a player and a manager speaks for itself, while his recent role as a member of the Football Rules Committee underlined the positive influence he continues to have on Gaelic football.

"I want to acknowledge and thank everyone who took part in the process over the past number of weeks. We now look forward to working closely with Éamonn, the players and the wider team as we begin the next chapter for Galway football.

"Éamonn's management and backroom team will be finalised over the coming weeks."
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

The Boy Wonder

Quote from: square_ball on September 17, 2026, 04:35:28 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on September 16, 2026, 11:45:00 AMMcNulty staying with Laois.
Must be a very long-term project!

He mustn't be planning on doing much canvassing for the elections in May 27 if he'll be in Laois 3 or 4 nights a week.

Very prescient  ;)

Blowitupref

New Galway senior football manager Éamonn Fitzmaurice says the quality of the squad was the over-riding reason he stepped back into senior inter-county management after an eight-year absence.

QuotePaul Bellew (chairman) reached out the weekend after Pádraic stepped down," he said.
"I've had these calls over the last couple years, but it has never gone beyond a phone call. My head was turned this time, and I said maybe, out of curiosity, I'd explore it.
"I had met Paul a few times, we spoke a few times and there was a good bit of balancing on my side of the house to see if I could make it happen.
"From there I interviewed with the selection committee and it moved fast."


My family, the logistical side of things and my day job as principal in Dingle, and I felt I could organise that side of things," he explained.
"The Kerry side of things was a big consideration for me. Even up to a few weeks ago I never thought I'd be managing against Kerry but I will have to get through that part.

"The final part was the football side and that was very exciting. There is a good bit of potential and for me that pulled me the hardest towards it."


I feel I'm young enough and I have good energy to go at it," he added.

"My kids are at a good age and here I am."
Pointing to a team that won four Connacht titles in a row and also contested two All-Ireland finals in recent times, the new Galway manager said there was a serious leadership cohort within the panel.

"They lost two All Ireland finals narrowly, a lot of lads are in their prime and there is an emerging group coming too," Fitzmaurice said.
"Outside of the squad are more players there too. Galway has a huge tradition and to get to work with that group is exciting

Pádraic did a great job.
"He got them really close to the All-Ireland – a small bit of luck and they'd have got over the line.
"I know myself from my own stint in Kerry that regardless of the respect or meas that players have for a manager, a fresh approach and challenge can be very good thing.
"I hope I'll bring that freshness and energy and I'm looking forward to getting to know the lads and seeing what makes them tick.
"I feel I've learned a lot since I was Kerry manager. We have two kids, my dad has passed away, my wife's mother has passed away and I have learned a lot in my day job as school principal

Pádraic has put Galway in that conversation for the All-Ireland so it is no shock for me to be saying that they are in contention and sure what's going on over county bounds [Mayo] will be a huge motivation for every Galway person and every other team.

As the Louth lads say, 'why not us?'
"A lot of teams will be thinking that way."

There's a bit of organisation there, but we have a half day Friday in school and that will make it a bit easier. I have a very understanding deputy principal, Elaine, who will support me.
"Elaine is Brian Ó Beaglaoich's mom and we are doing well at the moment," he joked. "When it comes to summertime it might be more interesting!
"But I have great support in school, there is great community support from the parents and that will all be fine.
"I will make sure I drop no balls in work or Lough George. It's going to be busy but I feel I have energy."

The league game against Kerry will be fine but the ultimate test would be if we ever played Kerry in an All Ireland semi-final or final above in Croke Park.

"Still, a lot of former Kerry managers have gone beyond county bounds, I'm not the first and it gives me a bit of comfort."



Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Blowitupref

Search continues for Longford for a senior football manager after Frankie Dolan declined the offer to become their new manager.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose