Tyrone V Monaghan AIQF 2015

Started by never kickt a ball, August 01, 2015, 08:20:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

The reason a yellow card is not seen as justice in this case is quite simply there is no totting up or sanction for continually getting yellow cards, that I am aware of. A totting up system such as in Soccer leading to a ban would bring some resolution to this. In the championship it could be two successive yellows equals a one match ban in the same competition carried over to the following year if necessary. In that instance a retrospective yellow would suffice in the McCann incident. Marty Duffy I would think has had his Sludden moment. Queue him doing a couple of NFL Div 3/4 games next season before disappearing to the club scene. On the evidence of his performances that's probably where he should be. The sending off is not McCann's fault Duffy made the decision whilst looking directly at the incident.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Applesisapples on August 13, 2015, 11:43:56 AM
The reason a yellow card is not seen as justice in this case is quite simply there is no totting up or sanction for continually getting yellow cards, that I am aware of. A totting up system such as in Soccer leading to a ban would bring some resolution to this. In the championship it could be two successive yellows equals a one match ban in the same competition carried over to the following year if necessary. In that instance a retrospective yellow would suffice in the McCann incident. Marty Duffy I would think has had his Sludden moment. Queue him doing a couple of NFL Div 3/4 games next season before disappearing to the club scene. On the evidence of his performances that's probably where he should be. The sending off is not McCann's fault Duffy made the decision whilst looking directly at the incident.

That would be a even bigger advantage to the likes of Kerry, Dublin and Mayo given they only start to play serious games from August onwards.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on August 13, 2015, 11:49:24 AM

That would be a even bigger advantage to the likes of Kerry, Dublin and Mayo given they only start to play serious games from August onwards.
Not necessarily but it would make players think.

muppet

Quote from: Applesisapples on August 13, 2015, 12:21:56 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on August 13, 2015, 11:49:24 AM

Not necessarily but it would make players think.

I do think it would help the deeper panels. Imagine Conor McManus or Michael Murphy missing an AI semi-final due to a yellow card ban. Then pick any Dublin or Kerry forward you like. It would be a far greater punishment on Monaghan or Donegal imho.
MWWSI 2017

haranguerer

As Brolly intimates, he can't be charged with bringing the game into disrepute. He feigned injury in an attempt to gain an advantage, theres a penalty already clearly laid out for that. If they can charge him for something else instead on a whim, then what point is there in having any rules in the first place? It can't be done. Whoever comes up with this sh**e make idiots of themselves at every turn round.

Has the 8 week ban been confirmed though? The whole thing has been that amateurish that it wouldn't surprise me if they let it slip just so they could gauge reaction, and act accordingly re the actual punishment.

Everyone agrees diving needs to be clamped down on - but it has to be done fairly and reasonably. I can see why Tyrone feel aggrieved at the way they have been treated here, it does smack of bias.

muppet

I was talking to a man who once went with a player to one of the appeal hearings.

The two of them walked into the room and faced the music. The first question was along the lines of 'what sort of fella is Ciarán McDonald'? McDonald wasn't the player in question, but the lad with the player quickly recognised an opportunity to lighten the mood and told some heroic stories about McD in club games and like. After a while telling stories he said, but what about my man here and his appeal? 'Ah that's all grand' was the reply.

I am guessing things are a little more procedural these days, but who knows.
MWWSI 2017

take_yer_points

Quote from: haranguerer on August 13, 2015, 01:16:00 PM
As Brolly intimates, he can't be charged with bringing the game into disrepute. He feigned injury in an attempt to gain an advantage, theres a penalty already clearly laid out for that. If they can charge him for something else instead on a whim, then what point is there in having any rules in the first place? It can't be done. Whoever comes up with this sh**e make idiots of themselves at every turn round.

Has the 8 week ban been confirmed though? The whole thing has been that amateurish that it wouldn't surprise me if they let it slip just so they could gauge reaction, and act accordingly re the actual punishment.

Everyone agrees diving needs to be clamped down on - but it has to be done fairly and reasonably. I can see why Tyrone feel aggrieved at the way they have been treated here, it does smack of bias.

Was on the radio there that they're appealing it. I see it's on BBC now too.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/gaelic-games/33880919

Tyrone manager Mickey Harte has confirmed that Tiernan McCann will appeal against the eight-week play-acting ban that he has been handed.

McCann received the ban after his feigning of injury contributed to Monaghan's Darren Hughes's red card in Saturday's All-Ireland quarter-final.

"The county board is contesting it," said Harte.

Reacting to the suspension, Harte said: "Surprised isn't the word I would use. I would use a stronger word."

McCann has come in for strong criticism for collapsing to the Croke Park turf after Hughes gently ruffled his hair in Saturday's game .

The player is believed to have been suspended under the rule relating to discrediting the GAA.

The ban would rule McCann out of the All-Ireland semi-final against Kerry and the Killyclogher man would also miss a potential All-Ireland decider if Tyrone come through their Kingdom test.

Red Hands boss Mickey Harte told BBC Sport Northern Ireland on Monday that McCann would "wish to have responded differently" to Hughes's action.

Play mediaJump media playerMedia player helpOut of media player. Press enter to return or tab to continue.
Mickey Harte says Tiernan McCann knows he made mistake

However, Harte also defended McCann, describing him as a "fine young man".

Hughes's sending-off in injury-time did not materially affect Saturday's result as the Red Hands were already assured of victory but RTE GAA pundits  Colm O'Rourke and Ciaran Whelan have been among those to strongly criticise McCann's actions.

O'Rourke described the late incident as dreadful with Whelan dubbing McCann's behaviour as appalling.

Amid the furore, Tyrone manager Harte did feel compelled to address the issue in his BBC interview.

"On behalf of Tiernan McCann, I'm saying if he had the chance again, he probably would have responded differently. We all accept that," added the Tyrone boss.

"But I don't think he's the first person to ever have over-reacted to anything and I don't think he will be the last.

"There are plenty of precedents there which have happened before and didn't cause the same furore.

"Tiernan McCann is a fine young man and a wonderful footballer."

Former Derry GAA star Joe Brolly is a barrister Joe Brolly has described McCann's proposed ban as "unlawful"

Reacting to news of McCann's proposed ban, former Derry GAA player Joe Brolly described the GAA's penalty as "unlawful".

Writing in the Sunday Independent last weekend, Brolly lambasted the actions of a number of Tyrone's players in the Monaghan game and said the match represented "everything that is bad about modern gaelic football".

However following news of McCann's ban , Brolly, who is a barrister, said that GAA rules only provided a yellow card being handed out for feigning injury.

Writing on Twitter, Brolly said: "The law of statutory interpretation applies to any rule.

"The lawmaker (Congress) has created a specific offence of simulation with a specific penalty (yellow card).

"The central point is that feigning is feigning.

"The penalty is a yellow card. How can any single act of feigning be worse?

"The point of the rule is to create certainty for the player and the GAA. If misconduct can override it the rule is worthless."

Brolly added that the case "is most certainly headed" for the GAA's independent Disputes Resolution Authority.

Fear ón Srath Bán

The proposed punishment has been confirmed, only when that has been accepted by the victim defendant, will the punishment itself have been confirmed.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Bingo

I think Monaghan should look a replay (saying the GAA seem to be a anti-Tyrone mood).

omaghjoe

Quote from: Bingo on August 13, 2015, 02:32:13 PM
I think Monaghan should look a replay (saying the GAA seem to be a anti-Tyrone mood).

They'd probably get it too.

Tho the Tyrone bunting has already went up for the semi so they'll hardly be in the mood to take it down again to put up the Monaghan bunting, only to have to take it down again and put up the Tyrone bunting again anyway. They're foresightful like that in the Farney

DJGaliv

Any general consensus that could bring us out of all this diving that has been going on over the last ten years?

This is the way I see it, and would love if someone could explain it to me if I'm wrong.

1. Calls to ban him for life as if he's the only man who's ever tried to con the ref or buy a free.

2. Tyrone feel understandably hard done by but moan as if they aren't involved in a high proportion of these incidents. They decide not to look at themselves instead the siege mentality grows.

3. Ban doesn't stand as we calm down a bit and we're ALL back diving and mouthing next season.

stew

Quote from: Bingo on August 13, 2015, 02:32:13 PM

Tyrone would still wipe the floor with them!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Hardy

Notwithstanding Joe's legal credentials, I can't see anything in the rule book that says the rules are mutually exclusive. In fact, Rule 7.2(e) (discrediting the association) specifically mentions that it includes one particular infraction that is covered by another rule - racial abuse. This would seem to suggest that it may also be applied to any other infraction already covered by rule, since no infraction is specifically excluded from 7.2(e).

Gabriel_Hurl

I think it was under that rule that Aaron Devlin (God Rest Him) was suspended for his Twitter comments after the Derry final last year

muppet

Quote from: Hardy on August 13, 2015, 05:57:32 PM

Notwithstanding Joe's legal credentials, I can't see anything in the rule book that says the rules are mutually exclusive. In fact, Rule 7.2(e) (discrediting the association) specifically mentions that it includes one particular infraction that is covered by another rule - racial abuse. This would seem to suggest that it may also be applied to any other infraction already covered by rule, since no infraction is specifically excluded from 7.2(e).

Yes but the rules and their application must be seen to be fair to all.

There is evidence of other players conducting the same, or at least a similar offence, and either no action being taken or some may have received a yellow card under the normal rule. The above were all either missed, ignored or dealt with by the referees under the rules of the game.

The issue will probably be why was the disrepute rule was used in McCann's case and in none of the others?
MWWSI 2017