Tyrone V Monaghan AIQF 2015

Started by never kickt a ball, August 01, 2015, 08:20:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: Hound on August 12, 2015, 05:09:28 PM
I'm not a fan of Tyrone. I think Sean Cavanagh, while being a excellent footballer, is a flat-out cheat - exaggerates every tussle he's involved in. Every team has some element of divers and cheats, but none come anywhere near the systemic nature of Tyrone. What I don't understand is why the fans are so defensive when they are criticised. Why would they care if they are liked or not? They played some fabulous football in between, cutting through the Monaghan defence like a knife through butter. Fast flowing football, with a cutting edge. That's what I'd concentrate on if I was a Tyronie.

But to the point - its an absolute nonsense to suggest young McCann has brought the Association into disrepute. Nonsense.

He made a stupid mistake. The ref should have yellow carded him and made a diving motion, which would have embarrassed him in front of the crowd and no doubt would have led to him getting an earful from Monaghan players. With the ref missing it, the GAA should have announced that Hughes suspension is nullified because McCann dived. That, on top of the media coverage, is exactly a just punishment for McCann under our rules. Embarrassment. He's going to be remembered for it for a good few years.

But McCann, in no way, has brought the Association into disrepute. I don't think people reailse what a high level charge that is.
But nobody outside the Association would give a flying fig about a player feigning injury, so it just doesn't apply.

The Cork County board statement castigating a ref was far more worthy of a charge of bringing the game into disrepute.
In fact, the people who have brought this charge against McCann are more guilty of the charge than McCann. Its trumped up nonsense, with no validity whatsover, and will make the Association a laughing stock.

Yip, good post.
MWWSI 2017

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Hound on August 12, 2015, 05:09:28 PM
I'm not a fan of Tyrone. I think Sean Cavanagh, while being a excellent footballer, is a flat-out cheat - exaggerates every tussle he's involved in. Every team has some element of divers and cheats, but none come anywhere near the systemic nature of Tyrone. What I don't understand is why the fans are so defensive when they are criticised. Why would they care if they are liked or not? They played some fabulous football in between, cutting through the Monaghan defence like a knife through butter. Fast flowing football, with a cutting edge. That's what I'd concentrate on if I was a Tyronie.

Do we really though? I don't. It's not about being liked or not, it's more about getting a raw deal, from various sources, and of which this latest debacle is just the latest example.

Well said the rest of that post.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

rrhf

Quote from: muppet on August 12, 2015, 04:12:37 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on August 12, 2015, 02:51:03 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on August 12, 2015, 11:44:22 AM
Did you see the video link I posted of O'Mahony, Shields, O'Shea and Lundy. Each of them feigned injury to the face. If McCann deserves 8 weeks, each of them did too. So why did they not get it.

I hate diving, I want lads punished for pretending to be hurt to get lads sent off, but you can't base your disciplinery approach on Twitter or Colm O'Rourke. To do so in the middle of the year, while ignoring similar incidents in the same year, is bordering on blatant unfairness.

Bring a proper rule in next season, and enforce it rigorously by all means. Institute review panels for televised games. All of that, brilliant. No problem with it. I just don't like the way this incident is being handled.

You have outlined why and how Tiernan McCann will get out of this charge and also what needs to be done to make sure all these cheats are nailed next year and thereafter.

The GAA gets itself into this kind of trouble by refusing to enforce its own rules. There is a terrible attitude towards rules and discipline throughout the GAA, from the top down.

Including and especially on match day. There is a rule for simulation, we see it all the time but how often have we seen a card for it? Very rarely to my mind.

If McCann had been shown a yellow at the time there would be no fuss. If Shields had been shown a yellow it wouldn't even be mentioned. Of course that is to place a bigger burden on the ref but that is precisely the problem. He needs better assistance and/or resources from other officials and the GAA.

All matches from the quarter finals are played in Croke Park these days, there is no excuse for not having a TMO process for matches in CP, whatever about other grounds. If grounds want to be considered for Provincial Finals it shouldn't be too hard to insist that this (TMO facility) is part of the required standard. That would cover everything from Provincial Finals onwards.

It appears from my neutral perspective that some prominent GAA people are tired of Tyrone and their perceived 'antics'. But treating them differently to everyone else isn't going to help that. If anything, reading some of the more hysterical posts here, it will make things worse.
tired of Tyrone.  We are only back in a semi final.  Tyrone have won nothing from 08.  Thats a half a playing career. 

Il Bomber Destro

The exaggeration on Cavanagh's dying is stunning to say the least. He came for the usual rough house abuse he normally receives on Saturday, he was caught high around the neck from Corey early on and you could see a big mark left on his neck as result. Wylie quite cynically left his foot in on Cavanagh's lower back in the second half which he didn't get a free for and you could see a big red mark on that area when he was down from the Finlay incident (coincidentally Wylie was also the same person who delivered quite a crude knee to the head on Cavanagh in the league earlier on this year, McCurry was also on the receiving end of one of these in the first half - maybe people could start seeing the same trends they do with Tyrone). He was tripped by Beggan just outside the box before he did eventually win a free right at the start of the second half. Then there was the Finlay incident where he was hit twice - crudely and cynically.

Sean has taken dogs abuse over the years and has learned to become quite clever in highlighting it but he still takes an awful lot of abuse that goes unpunished and I'm thinking of a particular All Ireland semi final two years ago. Brolly has helped create an unfair rap for Cavanagh over the years, there are players out there who are every bit as big a "cheat"*as Cavanagh and most teams will have one on their team.

*Interchangeable with "cuteness" depending on whereabouts in the country the player hails from.

muppet

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on August 12, 2015, 06:12:57 PM
The exaggeration on Cavanagh's dying is stunning to say the least. He came for the usual rough house abuse he normally receives on Saturday, he was caught high around the neck from Corey early on and you could see a big mark left on his neck as result. Wylie quite cynically left his foot in on Cavanagh's lower back in the second half which he didn't get a free for and you could see a big red mark on that area when he was down from the Finlay incident (coincidentally Wylie was also the same person who delivered quite a crude knee to the head on Cavanagh in the league earlier on this year, McCurry was also on the receiving end of one of these in the first half - maybe people could start seeing the same trends they do with Tyrone). He was tripped by Beggan just outside the box before he did eventually win a free right at the start of the second half. Then there was the Finlay incident where he was hit twice - crudely and cynically.

Sean has taken dogs abuse over the years and has learned to become quite clever in highlighting it but he still takes an awful lot of abuse that goes unpunished and I'm thinking of a particular All Ireland semi final two years ago. Brolly has helped create an unfair rap for Cavanagh over the years, there are players out there who are every bit as big a "cheat"*as Cavanagh and most teams will have one on their team.

*Interchangeable with "cuteness" depending on whereabouts in the country the player hails from.

I would agree. I am sure I saw him breathing at full time.
MWWSI 2017

stew

He has dished a fair bit out as well, he is no Angel like you picture him to be!

He deserved at least a yellow for acting the ****, rolling around in fake agony, as for McCann, he should get the one match ban because that is the penalty, the second that goes down the GAA need to enforce harsher penalties on divers and players faking injury to take time off the clock.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

outside-the-wire

He won't serve any time on the ban. I can see the point that they shouldn't single him out when others ths year have been at it too. There will be a rule change no doubt next year. It only serves to give Tyrone more fire in their bellies! Maybe it should have been stamped out in 03!!

AhNowRef

Quote from: stew on August 12, 2015, 06:43:15 PM

He has dished a fair bit out as well, he is no Angel like you picture him to be!

He deserved at least a yellow for acting the ****, rolling around in fake agony, as for McCann, he should get the one match ban because that is the penalty, the second that goes down the GAA need to enforce harsher penalties on divers and players faking injury to take time off the clock.

Can you let us know exactly when Cavanagh was "rolling around in fake agony" ::) please? ...

Also re McCann, no, a one match ban isn't the penalty for feigning injury .. its a yellow card I think you'll find !!

Armamike

Quote from: outside-the-wire on August 12, 2015, 06:47:48 PM
He won't serve any time on the ban. I can see the point that they shouldn't single him out when others ths year have been at it too. There will be a rule change no doubt next year. It only serves to give Tyrone more fire in their bellies! Maybe it should have been stamped out in 03!!

Yes, the horse bolted a long time ago!
That's just, like your opinion man.

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: stew on August 12, 2015, 06:43:15 PMHe deserved at least a yellow for acting the ****, rolling around in fake agony, as for McCann, he should get the one match ban because that is the penalty, the second that goes down the GAA need to enforce harsher penalties on divers and players faking injury to take time off the clock.

The penalty for a dive is a yellow card - not a one match ban  :-\

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: stew on August 12, 2015, 06:43:15 PM

He is no angel, I agree but the perception about him put forward by certain media figures is out of kilter with reality. There are players out there who are every bit as good/guilty at what Cavanagh comes in for immense stick and scrutiny for but they don't receive the same attention.

Gooch has been a master over the years in gaining soft frees, God help us if anyone called him a cheat over it, they're probably be a van packed with spooks sent after you!

muppet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoTpFZPdtEM

What exactly is Cavanagh protesting here? 'I hit him with my biceps'?
MWWSI 2017

StGallsGAA

Well said.   Can the dramatists refer to the above.

GJL

Has he actually been banned yet or is this just a presumption?