Mayo v Donegal Saturday August 8th, 2015 Páirc an Chrócaigh

Started by From the Bunker, July 31, 2015, 02:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Quote from: J70 on August 04, 2015, 12:25:53 AM
O'Shea killed us at midfield two years ago as well. Surely that will come into it?

Has to imo. Now big Neilly was off colour 2 years ago. Looked way off the pace. I thought he was great again last year. Again this year he looked a bit weary but had a great second half the last day.

I ve no doubt that Aidan will be about the middle, as well as Seamie and Tom P (and Barry Moran as back up later on). Add in lads that can win breaks and cover like O Connor The Younger, Doc and McLoughlin, it is our obvious strategy. But I think we can be fluid as well and get Aidan inside when circumstances suit. Our primary lure is to get Murphy deep though. If we play Aidan around the middle that will happen imo.

You re lucky I m not managing the Mayo team J70 ;) Ye d be still waiting for the second AI.

moysider

Quote from: Syferus on August 04, 2015, 12:36:06 AM
Quote from: BluestackBoy on August 03, 2015, 11:44:13 PM
Quote from: trileacman on August 03, 2015, 10:47:54 PM
Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on August 03, 2015, 10:39:36 PM
Quote from: beer baron on August 03, 2015, 12:54:24 PM
Quote from: DuffleKing on August 03, 2015, 12:04:45 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on August 03, 2015, 11:25:58 AM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on August 02, 2015, 01:01:52 PM
Quote from: mad tan on August 02, 2015, 12:48:36 PM
Hope it's on RTE

After the Quarter Finals in both sports they're not exclusive so it'll be on rte and SS

Sky having exclusive rights to matches in Ireland really is an absolute balls. I've a Sky go account running (thanks to a kind relative) on the phone which, whilst not ideal, is better than not watching the games and the hooerin thing bombed out during the Donegal match on Sat and wouldn't start up again with 10 mins to go.

Sky has both big games again on Sat...the claws are starting to grip a bit tighter !! Would do your head in

Actually it's brilliant. The level of analysis and discussion embarrasses the Sunday Game live and the comedy side show version later on. Canavan and McGuinness actually breaking down what teams are trying to do Vs Brolly's complete bullshit, various spoofers trotting out prepared buzzwords / anecdotes and the likes of cake making a weekly show of himself?

Give the whole thing to Sky if you ask me.

+1

+2

+3
McGuinness had a brilliant analysis of why Donegal lost the Ulster final in a couple of sentences at the start of the game.

+4

New total: +3.

Hmmmm.

There is analysis on Sky and the Sunday Game is a bit of a squabble.
Now I dunno if Mayo management are paying attention but Jim McGuinness told us exactly how Donegal can beat Mayo next weekend on the analysis this weekend. But of course it also shows Mayo management how they can avoid the trap - which was glaring anyway in 2012 tbh but we fell into it. That's if anybody is paying attention.
Look, Sunday Game is like Bill, Gilsey, Brady and Dunphy. Ould legends giving it loads.

Whitnail

Most people have to go to a pub to watch Sky though.

At half time everyone talks loud shite and the bar staff turn down the volume on the screens.

As far as I'm concerned Sky don't have analysis period,unless your a mime expert you don't hear a word of what's being said.

Mayo4Sam14

Does anybody else feel that time is running out for Mayo to win an All Ireland (any time soon)?
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

From the Bunker

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on August 04, 2015, 01:40:42 AM
Does anybody else feel that time is running out for Mayo to win an All Ireland (any time soon)?

Two years ago, people said to me this was this Mayo teams last chance! Last year was our last chance! We've had a lot of last chances down the years!

moysider

Mayo are getting better and should continue to improve.

maigheo

I think a lot of people overlooked the fact that during the league Mayo only trained collectivity  once a week with the aim of peaking now.Saturday will tell the tale as to whether we have one more chance or not A good fast paced display and finishing strongly will give me hope for September glory

J70

What's the age profile?

In Donegal we are going to lose Karl Lacey, Eamon McGee, Neil Gallagher, Paul Durcan, Colm McFadden and Christy Toye over the next year or two (all 31-32). Neil McGee, Frank McGlynn and Anthony Thompson are all pushing the 29-30 mark.

Definitely a last run around for us I would think before rebuilding starts.

Blowitupref

Quote from: J70 on August 04, 2015, 02:41:44 AM

What's the age profile?

In Donegal we are going to lose Karl Lacey, Eamon McGee, Neil Gallagher, Paul Durcan, Colm McFadden and Christy Toye over the next year or two (all 31-32). Neil McGee, Frank McGlynn and Anthony Thompson are all pushing the 29-30 mark.

Definitely a last run around for us I would think before rebuilding starts.

Keith Higgins,Tom Cunniffe,Alan Dillion,Barry Moran,Colm Boyle,Chris Barrett,Seamus O Shea,Andy Moran  would all be at 28-32 age mark but Mayo should be there or thereabouts for another 2 or 3 years at least.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Tubberman

Quote from: moysider on August 04, 2015, 12:50:27 AM
O'Shea killed us at midfield two years ago as well. Surely that will come into it?

Has to imo. Now big Neilly was off colour 2 years ago. Looked way off the pace. I thought he was great again last year. Again this year he looked a bit weary but had a great second half the last day.

I ve no doubt that Aidan will be about the middle, as well as Seamie and Tom P (and Barry Moran as back up later on). Add in lads that can win breaks and cover like O Connor The Younger, Doc and McLoughlin, it is our obvious strategy. But I think we can be fluid as well and get Aidan inside when circumstances suit. Our primary lure is to get Murphy deep though. If we play Aidan around the middle that will happen imo.

You re lucky I m not managing the Mayo team J70 ;) Ye d be still waiting for the second AI.

1) I'd be of that thinking too. Playing Aido at FF from the start limits our options too much.
2) If he gets snuffed out early, our ace attacking strategy is gone.
3) If SOS and TP (who's not the most physical even though he's improved a lot) lose the midfield battle, Aido is needed there.
4) If Donegal are winning midfield or even breaking even, they can afford to leave Murphy inside where they'll fancy his chances of at least getting 60/40 of the ball sent in.
5) Our running game and high press game with Aido in the middle worked nicely against Donegal in 2013
6) He can always alternate between FF, CHF, MF if needed.
7) It gives Gallagher a bit to think about
8) It shows that H&C can change things up a bit!
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

ballinaman

Quote from: Tubberman on August 04, 2015, 08:58:58 AM
Quote from: moysider on August 04, 2015, 12:50:27 AM

1) I'd be of that thinking too. Playing Aido at FF from the start limits our options too much.
2) If he gets snuffed out early, our ace attacking strategy is gone.
3) If SOS and TP (who's not the most physical even though he's improved a lot) lose the midfield battle, Aido is needed there.
4) If Donegal are winning midfield or even breaking even, they can afford to leave Murphy inside where they'll fancy his chances of at least getting 60/40 of the ball sent in.
5) Our running game and high press game with Aido in the middle worked nicely against Donegal in 2013
6) He can always alternate between FF, CHF, MF if needed.
7) It gives Gallagher a bit to think about
8) It shows that H&C can change things up a bit!
Agreed. Roatating Aido could be the way to go.

I reckon Gallagher might  do something strange too like he did in the Armagh match where Gallagher went in FF for the first few minutes.

highorlow

QuoteI think a lot of people overlooked the fact that during the league Mayo only trained collectivity  once a week with the aim of peaking now.

That's a good point and should be borne in mind when the Tyrone league disaster struck. I hope the management were training their brains 7 days a week on how to beat a blanket.

Vaughan to man mark Murphy? If not him who will be the marker(s)?
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Nihilist

It depends on how nervous you are. Do Mayo adopt a sweeper or do they go man-to-man? I saw a post on the Mayo Gaa blog which was interesting. It suggested leaving off McLoughlin and playing Patrick Durcan and having 4 half backs to block any runs through. And then introducing Mcloughlin in the second half when he could run the legs off someone.

As to the question of who should mark Michael Murphy well the its my opinion that Murphy will most likely win ball against anyone sent out to mark him simply because he is one of the best players of this era. The alternative is to try and cut off the supply he gets and also try to cut out the likes of Ryan McHugh or Frank McGlynn making those runs from deep unopposed which ususally end up in mayhem for the opposition.

Jinxy

My Mayo cousin is very confident.
Very confident indeed.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Jinxy on August 04, 2015, 11:35:47 AM
My Mayo cousin is very confident.
Very confident indeed.

Your Mayo cousin! Don't tell me Jinxy that you are a descendant of a land grabbing Mayo person?  ;)