Mayo v Donegal Saturday August 8th, 2015 Páirc an Chrócaigh

Started by From the Bunker, July 31, 2015, 02:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DuffleKing

Quote from: JoG2 on August 03, 2015, 11:25:58 AM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on August 02, 2015, 01:01:52 PM
Quote from: mad tan on August 02, 2015, 12:48:36 PM
Hope it's on RTE

After the Quarter Finals in both sports they're not exclusive so it'll be on rte and SS

Sky having exclusive rights to matches in Ireland really is an absolute balls. I've a Sky go account running (thanks to a kind relative) on the phone which, whilst not ideal, is better than not watching the games and the hooerin thing bombed out during the Donegal match on Sat and wouldn't start up again with 10 mins to go.

Sky has both big games again on Sat...the claws are starting to grip a bit tighter !! Would do your head in

Actually it's brilliant. The level of analysis and discussion embarrasses the Sunday Game live and the comedy side show version later on. Canavan and McGuinness actually breaking down what teams are trying to do Vs Brolly's complete bullshit, various spoofers trotting out prepared buzzwords / anecdotes and the likes of cake making a weekly show of himself?

Give the whole thing to Sky if you ask me.

beer baron

Quote from: DuffleKing on August 03, 2015, 12:04:45 PM
Hope it's on RTE

After the Quarter Finals in both sports they're not exclusive so it'll be on rte and SS

Sky having exclusive rights to matches in Ireland really is an absolute balls. I've a Sky go account running (thanks to a kind relative) on the phone which, whilst not ideal, is better than not watching the games and the hooerin thing bombed out during the Donegal match on Sat and wouldn't start up again with 10 mins to go.

Sky has both big games again on Sat...the claws are starting to grip a bit tighter !! Would do your head in

Actually it's brilliant. The level of analysis and discussion embarrasses the Sunday Game live and the comedy side show version later on. Canavan and McGuinness actually breaking down what teams are trying to do Vs Brolly's complete bullshit, various spoofers trotting out prepared buzzwords / anecdotes and the likes of cake making a weekly show of himself?

+1

J70

Quote from: PW Nally on August 03, 2015, 11:44:29 AM
Sky deal hitting home now. Will be at game but recording and watching later I always enjoyed.

Paddy Power odds
Quote18:00   Mayo v Donegal         
              5/6   15/2   13/10

Close enough.

I thought Donegal would be longer odds.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: muppet on August 02, 2015, 11:24:20 AM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 01, 2015, 08:49:18 PM
Too hard to call, Donegal at full strength i fancy them, McGee will reduce O`Shea influence but will not nullify him, question is where will the other Mayo scored come from?With a few out and Murphy playing too far out Mayo could take them

This will probably be tight for the first half.

But then I am confident enough we will find a scoring forward from somewhere to compliment Aiden O'XI, maybe one of those Ballintubber lads might step up? Possibly the injured lad who got a hatrick against them the last time.

Good to see the real Farr is back in kilter with the universe.

Mayo by 4.

And there will be goals.............

There will always be goals when Mayo are playing because WE CONCEDE FAR TOO MANY! Yes, Dublin let in two yesterday, but one was by the help of a ref and umpire when it clearly should have been a free out. I'd give anything for a clean sheet but there's always the realisation that Mayo concede goals at stupid times in matches. Also, (I didn't see the Donegal v Monaghan or Donegal v Galway game live) but as Iolar says, they hit a lot of wides in both...and they may start creeping inside the post the next day. I feel that Mayo's midfield will have to have the game of their lives, and give good ball into the free forwards to have any chance. I'm sure Donegal are aware of this too and will have numerous men behind the ball, and break with speed.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: beer baron on August 03, 2015, 12:54:24 PM
Hope it's on RTE

+1

+2

trileacman

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on August 03, 2015, 10:39:36 PM
Hope it's on RTE

+1

+2

+3
McGuinness had a brilliant analysis of why Donegal lost the Ulster final in a couple of sentences at the start of the game.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Bensars

Agree totally. 8minutes of mature discussion, accepting others points and giving their own viewpoint.

Quote@SkySportsGAA: WATCH: The Sky Sports panel look ahead to Mayo v Donegal and Aidan O'Shea v Michael Murphy. http://t.co/jM6OB5G7mt http://t.co/2oc1wlO8lf

From the Bunker

You'd wonder what the viewership of GAA on Sky in Britain is? This year has been a bit of a disaster in regard good games that they have covered. The product is not there at the moment bar one the odd game.

maigheo

at half time in the Donegal armagh game ,Darragh Maloney asked  Spillane and Brolly what should Armagh do to get back into the game and he might as well have been asking them a nuclear physics question.All they could say was the game was over and whats the point.They had absolutely no clue how to answer.The same question if asked on the Sky coverage would have gotten a good discussion going and we would have gotten a reasonable answer.I really look forward to the Sky pre ,half time and post match analysis no matter who is playing.Cant remember ever thinking the same for the sunday game coverage

BluestackBoy

Quote from: trileacman on August 03, 2015, 10:47:54 PM
Hope it's on RTE

+1

+2

+3
McGuinness had a brilliant analysis of why Donegal lost the Ulster final in a couple of sentences at the start of the game.

+4
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

moysider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 03, 2015, 10:28:32 PM
Quote from: muppet on August 02, 2015, 11:24:20 AM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 01, 2015, 08:49:18 PM
Too hard to call, Donegal at full strength i fancy them, McGee will reduce O`Shea influence but will not nullify him, question is where will the other Mayo scored come from?With a few out and Murphy playing too far out Mayo could take them

This will probably be tight for the first half.

But then I am confident enough we will find a scoring forward from somewhere to compliment Aiden O'XI, maybe one of those Ballintubber lads might step up? Possibly the injured lad who got a hatrick against them the last time.

Good to see the real Farr is back in kilter with the universe.

Mayo by 4.

And there will be goals.............

There will always be goals when Mayo are playing because WE CONCEDE FAR TOO MANY! Yes, Dublin let in two yesterday, but one was by the help of a ref and umpire when it clearly should have been a free out. I'd give anything for a clean sheet but there's always the realisation that Mayo concede goals at stupid times in matches. Also, (I didn't see the Donegal v Monaghan or Donegal v Galway game live) but as Iolar says, they hit a lot of wides in both...and they may start creeping inside the post the next day. I feel that Mayo's midfield will have to have the game of their lives, and give good ball into the free forwards to have any chance. I'm sure Donegal are aware of this too and will have numerous men behind the ball, and break with speed.

That's the way we choose to play the game Farr and we have to accept it. But at least we have a go. There is always the chance we will get riddled for goals the way we set up. But looks like we wouldn t have it any other way. We again appointed managers who wouldn t be exactly known to be defensive minded or ground breaking in their approach. I don t remember too much hullabaloo from clubs or supporters when these appointments were made. Not sure Batman and Robin would have been the answer either.
McGuiness had us well sussed in 2012 (he had the opportunity to see us close up and personal before the AI final) and he had the right players, as well as the tactics to do us. It was really a simple enough game plan. Not much has changed imo.
If things go as expected tactically then Murphy will get space inside to damage us but Aidan unlikely to get any freedom at all. That could be enough to decide the contest but you never know? H&C know Donegal inside out and there is no excuses for getting into a game played on their merits.
Donegal will hope AOS plays ff because they can limit his influence there easier. Mayo would hope that Murphy plays as far from goal as possible because we are not equipped to manage him close to goal.
So for a start I would use Aido sparingly close to goal and take it from there. If we have Aidan, Seamie and Tom getting possession about the middle and having runners off the shoulder, then Murphy will be brought out to shore up the middle. That is what we want. I think :-\
Actually looking at us I think H&C will be quite flexible about how we approach this. It has been obvious from the off that they have reservations about our ability to defend in an orthodox way at the back.

Nihilist

Galway were wiped out in the middle third in the second half the last day. And that's where they lost it.

MacNeilis had a field day because there was no one marking him.  Walsh was poor on the sideline. Took off corer fw Varley who was playing ok but left Shane Walsh on the bench for far too long. Overall Donegal's superior fitness and physicality clearly came through as the game wore on. And as the Galway defence came under more and more pressure it eventually told.

But can't see Mayo midfield collapsing the same way. Most of the games are won and lost in this area now. Whoever gains control will eventually suffocate the other.

moysider

Quote from: Nihilist on August 03, 2015, 11:56:07 PM
Galway were wiped out in the middle third in the second half the last day. And that's where they lost it.

MacNeilis had a field day because there was no one marking him.  Walsh was poor on the sideline. Took off corer fw Varley who was playing ok but left Shane Walsh on the bench for far too long. Overall Donegal's superior fitness and physicality clearly came through as the game wore on. And as the Galway defence came under more and more pressure it eventually told.

But can't see Mayo midfield collapsing the same way. Most of the games are won and lost in this area now. Whoever gains control will eventually suffocate the other.

Agree and that is why we must have AOS around the middle for this. Try and get control and force Murphy out. So we should start off with cover to prevent early hits and take see how it pans out. If we set up orthodox we will be chasing the game for an hour and most likely lose.

J70

O'Shea killed us at midfield two years ago as well. Surely that will come into it?

Syferus

Quote from: BluestackBoy on August 03, 2015, 11:44:13 PM
Quote from: trileacman on August 03, 2015, 10:47:54 PM
Hope it's on RTE

+1

+2

+3

+4

New total: +3.