Fermanagh v Dublin AIQ/Final

Started by SamFever, July 26, 2015, 11:28:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: Jinxy on August 02, 2015, 11:58:01 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 02, 2015, 11:45:49 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on August 02, 2015, 11:26:41 PM
Disgraceful refereeing performance I have to say.
It's not his job to try and make a game of it.

You had little or nothing to say of your fellow countyman last year when he helped make a game of it down in Limerick!

Excuse me, I had plenty to say at the time.

I thought he did a great job.

Very good!  ;D

squire_in_navy_slacks

Quote from: BluestackBoy on August 03, 2015, 12:03:42 AM
Quote from: Sidney on August 02, 2015, 10:54:00 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on August 02, 2015, 09:09:50 PM
25-3 in fermanagh's favour the free count today.

That referee should never be allowed referee at this level again.

Out of his depth
I really loved the twee patronising of Fermanagh today.

It was like if a much younger fat child is allowed play football with the older, bigger boys at school to raise his self-esteem. The bigger boys go easy in the tackle on him, let him do a few nutmegs on them and deliberately crash into each other, leaving him to score a few tap-ins for goals. The teacher refereeing the match gives a free any time he loses the ball.

Jim Gavin's big grin at the end when he went over to Pete McGrath was like the teacher patting the fat kid on the head at the end and giving him a special badge to tell him he was the best player in the match.

I agree with you about Jim Gavin. A more patronising & smug git I have never seen.

;D ;D Bit rich coming from the Jim mc Guinness brigade

What was Gavin suppose to do round house Pete......... ?

The boil is well and truely ticking over on this thread, sets it up nicely for the semi's

Aaron Boone

Dubs don't play now for 4 weeks. Crazy wait this time of year.

moysider

Quote from: Line Ball on August 02, 2015, 11:44:39 PM
Quote from: moysider on August 02, 2015, 11:24:35 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on August 02, 2015, 11:01:26 PM
Quote from: TomFun on August 02, 2015, 11:00:29 PM

Out of his depth

It was like if a much younger fat child is allowed play football with the older, bigger boys at school to raise his self-esteem. The bigger boys go easy in the tackle on him, let him do a few nutmegs on them and deliberately crash into each other, leaving him to score a few tap-ins for goals. The teacher refereeing the match gives a free any time he loses the ball.

Jim Gavin's big grin at the end when he went over to Pete McGrath was like the teacher patting the fat kid on the head at the end and giving him a special badge to tell him he was the best player in the match.

I haven't seen such a triumph of human spirit in a sporting context since Eric The Eel. Heroic stuff.

Crow away boys. If Fermanagh had 20% of dubs funding then expectations might be different. Dubs are heads and shoulders above all other teams commercially but still not within an ass's roar of an all Ireland. Well done.

Ah yes - funding the crutch for all pizza eating county teams out there.

Ah jaysus Indiana cut them a bit of slack. A small population and half that no interest in the game. About 20 clubs. Huge achievement for them to get there.

What are counties like Fermanagh supposed to do. Lie down and die?

The way scorelines are going I can see some counties regressing further because the gap is widening and for 20+ counties the effort is futile.  A waste of time and the bit of money they have and demoralising for a county.

Dublin can lose a game and most of the population wouldn t know or care. That is not the way it is in a county like Roscommon e.g.

I m not convinced that funding would overcome the imbalance but it has to be looked at. The fact that it is causing resentment is a problem in itself.

Croke Park's location a problem. Mostly less than half empty for games and hamstrung when it comes to holding concerts and stuff. Smaller/all counties could have done with a bit of money from Rugby/Soccer matches and Garth Brookes' concerts.

I was lead to believe that each county got £100,000 from Croke Park for the opening up to Rugby/Soccer a few years back and it was up to them how they distributed it.  In Down, four clubs got £25,000 each but in many other counties the money was put towards Centres of Excellence.  I may be wrong on this but this is how I remember it.

That kind of money is needed all the time - not just a once off.

I remember Garth Brookes gig going belly up last year. I don t care much for Brookes but all I could see was easy money going down the Swanee. Money that's badly needed. Clubs running lottos and forced to sell board tickets. Begging bowl stuff really. I get knocks on the door from lads from 4 clubs each year as well as from my own club. I do my best for them but I resent that heap can t be making a few bob. Also cat that Donegal and Sligo had to be dragged up there to play yesterday. A town like Castlebar would appreciate a game like that and the bleddy suits in CP need to cop themselves on.

squire_in_navy_slacks

Quote from: Aaron Boone on August 03, 2015, 12:12:31 AM

Was hoping it was 3, fancy the Mayo buckos to make the final at our expense

moysider

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on August 03, 2015, 12:08:37 AM
Quote from: BluestackBoy on August 03, 2015, 12:03:42 AM

Out of his depth

I agree with you about Jim Gavin. A more patronising & smug git I have never seen.

;D ;D Bit rich coming from the Jim mc Guinness brigade

What was Gavin suppose to do round house Pete......... ?

The boil is well and truely ticking over on this thread, sets it up nicely for the semi's

You re clearly expecting to meet Donegal so - you could well be right.

The boil though? Is that bile maybe? I m more hoping Boyle will be ticking over well for the semi :)

moysider

Quote from: David McKeown on August 03, 2015, 12:02:14 AM
Quote from: moysider on August 02, 2015, 11:55:01 PM

True. But it's even more disgraceful when a ref decides a game between 2 evenly matched teams and ultimately decides a championship. The first Kerry/Cork game this year being an example. It has completely changed the nature of the championship. It has given Kerry an easy path to a final and affected the chances of others.

Also, if the ref had seen the charge on Cluxton then he would have given a free out. That's a given. You can t give what you don t see at that distance and probably unsighted as well. There was a defender between Quigley and Cluxton.
If the ball crossed the line the green umpire should have raised the flag (white umpire clearly told him to but he hesitated - probably because he noted the foul, but not his job to make that call!). When the referee wen t in, all he could do was ask if the ball crossed the line. If he did not see a foul he could not call one in retrospect. Umpires can call off the ball stuff but not call fouls in play. And neither can linesmen. It's something that needs looking at but as things stand the ref probably did what he was supposed to do in that situation.
Ironically Cluxton had a go at the umpire that was sympathetic towards him 8)

Anyway it probably balances out the 45 Quigley should have had in first half and Dublin tacked on a handy point from kick-out. Another umpire error. I d say things were pretty frosty between ref and his umpires after today.
Have to agree with all of that but the game is far too big, fast and professional for amateur referees, they need more help as shown by the goal today

Exactly but under the current system the ref did damn all wrong in that match. The free stats are a bit misleading (I agree with Sy on that). Dublin move the ball well and weren t taking much flak. You couldn t say that Dublin should have been awarded more frees?
On the other hand Fermanagh were running into traffic more. Y'know smaller men mostly as well. The ref made those calls individually I d say without any agenda. My impression of the game as a whole though was that it was a very gentlemanly affair. Everybody knew what was expected of them an only one or two lost their temper.

Schkite

Quote from: Aaron Boone on August 03, 2015, 12:12:31 AM

It's strange how the Dubs have a four week wait now, but the winners of Monaghan/Tyrone are out 2 weeks later in their semi.

Maybe it's a knock-on effect of the A and B qualifier layout, but I'd have thought it could be better organised.

Seamus

True. But it's even more disgraceful when a ref decides a game between 2 evenly matched teams and ultimately decides a championship. The first Kerry/Cork game this year being an example. It has completely changed the nature of the championship. It has given Kerry an easy path to a final and affected the chances of others.

Wrong on both counts. it is said the more you repeat things you will eventually become to believe in what you say. Regarding the replay in Limerick, Mayo got a least the same amount of dubious decisions that day. The free at the end of normal time to win it being just one. It should have been a free out to David Moran. Mayo were destroyed in the middle third, it should never have gone to extra time.

Regarding the Cork game. take another look. Granted the penalty was a mistake but that is about the only decision Kerry got. Nine steps by Collins before Cork's first goal, two phantom first half tap over frees supposedly committed on Hurley, Donnacha O'Connors given a point at the end of the first half when it was clearly wide, another tap over "free" after the Kerry penalty. Wrong decisions against Stephen O'Brien in the first half and Paul Geaney should have gotten a penalty instead of the 45. Media propaganda ( especially Brolly, Carr and McStay) is some tool along with the ABK agenda.
"I wish I could inspire the same confidence in the truth which is so readily accorded to lies".

moysider

Quote from: Seamus on August 03, 2015, 01:03:02 AM

Wrong on both counts. it is said the more you repeat things you will eventually become to believe in what you say. Regarding the replay in Limerick, Mayo got a least the same amount of dubious decisions that day. The free at the end of normal time to win it being just one. It should have been a free out to David Moran. Mayo were destroyed in the middle third, it should never have gone to extra time.

Regarding the Cork game. take another look. Granted the penalty was a mistake but that is about the only decision Kerry got. Nine steps by Collins before Cork's first goal, two phantom first half tap over frees supposedly committed on Hurley, Donnacha O'Connors given a point at the end of the first half when it was clearly wide, another tap over "free" after the Kerry penalty. Wrong decisions against Stephen O'Brien in the first half and Paul Geaney should have gotten a penalty instead of the 45. Media propaganda ( especially Brolly, Carr and McStay) is some tool along with the ABK agenda.

Nonsense. There are decisions and there are decisions. O Reilly decided the game in Limerick period. Accept that and go and cherish the win and don't  go spinning it afterwards. Ye controlled the middle for a good bit alright but so what? If Mayo won every game we controlled midfield  we d be laughing. Ye were helped as well by AOS being concussed for most of the game and the usual silliness by our sideline. As well as the obvious missed sending off there is no way that Donnacha Walsh should have finished either semi final. Maybe it's because of his choir-boy appearance, but he got away with some nasty stuff. The p***k also did a biteen of a war dance to get Keegan sent off in the first game - and as usual a Meath ref will readily screw us.

Look Seamus, enjoy your AIs.   

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: under the bar on August 02, 2015, 08:25:11 PM
If the game had gone on for another 10 mins Dublin could have coughed it up as they were starting to panic.   Cluxton and backs were all at sea.   Mayo or Donegal would have ripped you to shreds in the last 10 mins today.  You'd best start hoping you don't have an off day in front of goal iwhen you meet either of them or Kerry.

Ahhhh ha ha ha ha ha ha ha hahahaha.....!!!!!

Main Street

Quote from: giveballaghback on August 02, 2015, 09:30:09 PM
Well I said in an earlier post that regardless of todays result Fermanagh are the team of this years championship and how right i am, what a performance today against all the odds, if you take indianas snide and ignorant comments about Sean Quigley as fact then every player that plays in the rugby world cup can be considered as unfit and ill prepared, the thing is Quigley after putting in a hard shift was going better than any Dublin player at the end, maybe if the dubs were given proper dinners instead of bangers and mash when they were kids they would have a bit of stamina as well, yere factory athletes well get turned over once again in the semi, maybe they should try cabbage and bacon, Cluxton was pushed over the line like a feather weight, as for Connolly an athlete? for .... sake, im outa here, wheres me old moores almanac so I can read proper bull.
McGrath is in line for manager of the year, there's still a lot of life left in the old fox.
Fermanagh were inspirational today. When the game was  lost  for other bigger teams in this year's championship, they bent over without a whimper, but not Fermanagh.
I think it would have been a closer game had they chosen to play with the wind in the first half, I couldn't make sense out of that decision.

muppet

F*ck it I really enjoyed that game today. Credit to both teams for that.

I know we might be next up for the chop, but as a neutral this game had everything considering it was expected to be an annihilation.

Fair play to Fermanagh for fighting the good fight. It is fantastic to see a huge underdoog refuse to sit, when told, and park no buses. Quigley being booed by the Hill was fantastic. Yes the referee was a muppet, aren't they all these days, but it added a wonderfull villlian to the expected coronation.

Hound had a good analysis of the game earlier but I wuld have two major points of disagreement. Firstly while Diarmuid Connellly had a couple of his Ciaran McDonald moments, and when he does them they are awe inspiring, but I am amazed that he is used as a stick to beat Paul Flynn. If there is one player I could buy for Mayo it would be Flynn. I don't care where you play him. When Fermanagh got the dodgy goal who else but Paul Flyan to convert the sense of injustice into 3 points without falling into the usual trap of using an elbow etc. I thought he popped up everywhere as usual and retained the ball as usual.

To me he his Galvin/Dooher Mk 3.0.

They might have started it, but Jebus he does it all, everywhere, at all, and particularly the important times.

Now roll on a Dub/Mo semi!!!!!
MWWSI 2017

Seamus

Quote from: moysider on August 03, 2015, 01:20:03 AM
Quote from: Seamus on August 03, 2015, 01:03:02 AM

Nonsense. There are decisions and there are decisions. O Reilly decided the game in Limerick period. Accept that and go and cherish the win and don't  go spinning it afterwards. Ye controlled the middle for a good bit alright but so what? If Mayo won every game we controlled midfield  we d be laughing. Ye were helped as well by AOS being concussed for most of the game and the usual silliness by our sideline. As well as the obvious missed sending off there is no way that Donnacha Walsh should have finished either semi final. Maybe it's because of his choir-boy appearance, but he got away with some nasty stuff. The p***k also did a biteen of a war dance to get Keegan sent off in the first game - and as usual a Meath ref will readily screw us.

Look Seamus, enjoy your AIs.

Thanks Moy but I'll have you know I enjoy every All Ireland as if's it the first. Everyone is biased toward their teams including people from non-participating counties that choose which team they prefer to win a certain game. Very few outsiders ever support the likes of Kerry or Kilkenny unless they have a connection to the counties or have money on the line, hence a general distorted view of the game is very common. The outsiders back up the distorted views, in this case of the Mayo supporters and add fuel to their fire. They falsely believe they are backed up by the opinion of a "neutral" thus a terrible wrong must have being committed. The recent Cork/Kerry drawn game is one of the best case in point. Uproar in the media and on this forum amongst other places on how badly Cork were wronged. A proper study of the game would prove otherwise.

I understand the continuous disappointments of the Mayo team and supporters and I genuinely feel for them but the sooner they realize that those defeats were totally their own doing the sooner they will go on and win an All Ireland. It's not the thinker's curse that is the problem, it's the never ending whining. Move on, ye have a great team, end the excuses.   
"I wish I could inspire the same confidence in the truth which is so readily accorded to lies".

Syferus

Cormac O'Rielly is a poor referee. That is not an opinion but a statement of fact. Meta-talk about neutrals not liking Kerry doesn't change that fact.