Roscommon's next Manager

Started by Rossfan, July 20, 2015, 10:48:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theyellowbus

I aint saying he is a genius simply making the point that he is still better than what we have within the county and is going to be the type of manager our CB will be looking at considering finances etc.
Unless we can unlock a gem in our county or persuade a mickey harte or Jim mcguinness type manager (probably impossible) then the likes of the type of manager like mulholland (good underage but with senior inter county experience) is more than likely what we will end up with.

Syferus

Quote from: theyellowbus on July 21, 2015, 02:47:04 PM
I aint saying he is a genius simply making the point that he is still better than what we have within the county and is going to be the type of manager our CB will be looking at considering finances etc.
Unless we can unlock a gem in our county or persuade a mickey harte or Jim mcguinness type manager (probably impossible) then the likes of the type of manager like mulholland (good underage but with senior inter county experience) is more than likely what we will end up with.

Dowd is a better manager than Mulholland.

theyellowbus

Possibly jury still out but would probably take the risk with him.
Personally i just think the current squad need a different voice/voices around it and a different approach.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Syferus on July 21, 2015, 02:53:23 PM

To be honest I don't know how anyone can judge that. Mulholland did win minor and U-21 All-Ireland's. Did get Galway to the quarter-finals last year. Was probably put in an unfortunate position of having to blood a load of youngsters into the Galway senior setup who physically were always going to take time to develop. The person always likely to benefit from that was his successors rather than himself. He didn't show much tactical acumen at senior level but he had a difficult job in fairness.

After Mayo slaughtered Galway two years ago I was cursing him but we could have got every single player behind the ball that day and still got trounced. Physically we were not near Mayo's level. But two years later we could hang with them in the physicality stakes. An unenviable task to bring through young players knowing you are likely to be gone by the time they mature as senior players.

weareros

He's had 3 big matches as a manager that I am aware of - 2 Connacht club championship games with Ballaghaderreen and 1 All-Ireland U21 with Roscommon. On 2 of those occasions his team were favourites to win and they lost on both occasionss to Eastern Harps and Tyrone. How you can say he is a better manager than Mulholland who has won All-Ireland U21s is beyond me. I hope he goes on to be a great Roscommon manager but let's no build him up until he has the results to justify it. Time we learned our lesson in Roscommon to stop hyping up everything under the "sun".

Syferus

Quote from: weareros on July 21, 2015, 05:14:56 PM

He's had 3 big matches as a manager that I am aware of - 2 Connacht club championship games with Ballaghaderreen and 1 All-Ireland U21 with Roscommon. On 2 of those occasions his team were favourites to win and they lost on both occasionss to Eastern Harps and Tyrone. How you can say he is a better manager than Mulholland who has won All-Ireland U21s is beyond me. I hope he goes on to be a great Roscommon manager but let's no build him up until he has the results to justify it. Time we learned our lesson in Roscommon to stop hyping up everything under the "sun".

??

Dowd in his one season with Ballagh in 2012 won a Mayo senior without Andy Moran and beat the Sligo champions in the Connacht semi-final, only losing to the Brigids team that won the AI. He wasn't manager in 2008 (that was Frank Kelly) when Ballagh lost to Eastern Harps so you're way off-base.

Dowd has a lot of experience at underage with nearly every player on the senior panel. In the event of Evans being gone he's easily in the top three in-county options, and well ahead of what someone like Mulholland can offer us.

Rossfan

Easywith the hype Syfín.
He didn't excel himself on the line v Tyrone.
Also I'm told he was wearing a fcukn Connacht effin RUBBY cap that evening on the line.
That's him gone as far as I'm concerned. >:(
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on July 21, 2015, 05:51:35 PM
Easywith the hype Syfín.
He didn't excel himself on the line v Tyrone.
Also I'm told he was wearing a fcukn Connacht effin RUBBY cap that evening on the line.
That's him gone as far as I'm concerned. >:(

Well, we were playing against Tyrone..

giveballaghback

Yellow bus cant believe you want to replace John Evans with Mulholland. Talk about change for the sake of change.

Maroon Manc

Mulholland showed nothing in 3 years to suggest he'd make a successful manager at this level. As for Galway getting to a quarter final last year winning 2 championship games against Sligo and Tipp is nothing to gloat about. He also appeared to fall out with players easily with both Sice and Duane dropped from the panel last year. I realise Galway were a team in transition but he never shows anything tactically to suggest he could see the job through.

Shrewdness

What about Fergal O'Donnell having a second term? He had us competitive inside and outside of Connacht.. 2009 didn't go well, but the Connacht title of 2010 could and should have been followed by another on that wet day in 2011. In the 2010 AIQF, we led Cork after 45 mins, losing by 5 or 6 pts. Cork won the All Ireland...In 2011, we had a very competitive qualifier with Tyrone in Croke Park before 2 late goals flattered Tyrone..Nowadays, we can't beat Sligo and Fermanagh. Unfortunately, Fergal's league record wasn't that great.

Syferus

Quote from: Shrewdness on July 21, 2015, 09:48:43 PM
What about Fergal O'Donnell having a second term? He had us competitive inside and outside of Connacht.. 2009 didn't go well, but the Connacht title of 2010 could and should have been followed by another on that wet day in 2011. In the 2010 AIQF, we led Cork after 45 mins, losing by 5 or 6 pts. Cork won the All Ireland...In 2011, we had a very competitive qualifier with Tyrone in Croke Park before 2 late goals flattered Tyrone..Nowadays, we can't beat Sligo and Fermanagh. Unfortunately, Fergal's league record wasn't that great.

FOD and the CB were a bit testy, iirc. I doubt if he ever returned that it would be before Fahy was gone, who in fairness has overseen some very positive changes the last two seasons. FOD also alluded to thinking managing your county was a thing you only do once when he stepped away in 2011.

weareros

Quote from: Syferus on July 21, 2015, 05:25:34 PM

??

Dowd in his one season with Ballagh in 2012 won a Mayo senior without Andy Moran and beat the Sligo champions in the Connacht semi-final, only losing to the Brigids team that won the AI. He wasn't manager in 2008 (that was Frank Kelly) when Ballagh lost to Eastern Harps so you're way off-base.

Dowd has a lot of experience at underage with nearly every player on the senior panel. In the event of Evans being gone he's easily in the top three in-county options, and well ahead of what someone like Mulholland can offer us.

My apologies on 2008. But he is still 0 for 2 in his Connacht finals. Again, I hope he goes on to be a great manager but has a bit to go yet.

Syferus

Quote from: weareros on July 21, 2015, 11:21:27 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 21, 2015, 05:25:34 PM

??

My apologies on 2008. But he is still 0 for 2 in his Connacht finals. Again, I hope he goes on to be a great manager but has a bit to go yet.

He's 1 for 2 in Connacht finals.. maybe you'll get his record right on the third attempt ;)

moysider

Peter Forde.

Should have got Mayo job twice but blazers have a long memory and he was never going to get the gig.

Had an impossible job after Johnno but was practical and saw what had to be done. But Galway were not ready to evolve and it seems even Kevin Walsh's more defensive approach is not going down among the cognoscenti in the part of the county that plays football.

Forde should be considered.