Tyrone v Sligo Sat 1st August 2015 Croke Park - 13 years on

Started by Fuzzman, July 19, 2015, 03:54:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joemamas

Quote from: Christmas Lights on July 20, 2015, 02:11:43 PM
Quote from: omagh_gael on July 20, 2015, 02:07:07 PM
Quote from: ONeill on July 20, 2015, 02:05:22 PM
3B Qualifiers- Saturday, 1 August
Sligo v Tyrone, Croke Park, 4pm (Live on Sky Sports)
Donegal v Galway, Croke Park, 6pm (Live on Sky Sports)

What a pile of shite.

Agree with that.  Nonsence having those qualifier games in Dublin.  Surely there is somewhere that could accomodate both games that is closer to all 4 counties.  Youre going to have a reallty empty croke park which looks shite on the TV.

Players will be happy right enough.

20k max, which means an 80k stadium will be 25% occupied. What planning.
Last week I was thinking that if Sligo were playing that weekend, the GAA should give 2k free tickets to all the national schools in Sligo, just to promote football withing the county for the next generation, as they generally only play there every 5-7 years. Now I don't even think that would work.

Not sure how many Tyrone people will travel, as they most likely will be doing the same the week after. ditto for galway and Donegal. Scheduling "committee " and I am being kind with that description, should be named and shamed for this allowing such a scenario to occur.

They have taken away the potential for an incredible weekend of Football with four Q/Finals in 24 hours, where they had the potential to market the living shite out of it, have the stadium filled to the gills with a bit of creativity, and look at what they did.

If you are an independent Thinking GAA executive (if there is such a thing) and you are in a potential ghost town Croke park a week from Saturday, wtf are you really thinking.

Just scratching the surface with this but you get my drift.

Bottom line the GAA do a poor job, marketing their games.

redhandefender

Quit your moaning, we're back in croker, good chance for the young lads get a game under their belt there before monaghan or mayo (Hopefully!)

Christmas Lights

It really is hard to beat packed out stadiums for games though.  Look at Cork/Kerry and Monaghan/Donegal at the weekend.

The color.
The atmosphere.
The electricity.
The noise.
The roar.
The smell of burgers.

You dont get that at 25% filled stadia

joemamas

Quote from: Christmas Lights on July 20, 2015, 03:15:04 PM
It really is hard to beat packed out stadiums for games though.  Look at Cork/Kerry and Monaghan/Donegal at the weekend.

The color.
The atmosphere.
The electricity.
The noise.
The roar.
The smell of burgers.

You dont get that at 25% filled stadia

That was as much my point, I was there on the Saturday last year and atmosphere was terrible, despite the Monaghan V Kildare game being a cracker.

Whishtup

I wouldn't be complaining-while it is a strange decision, the winning teams from these games will have bedded into Croke park before Mayo and Monaghan.  Can't get any better than this for Tyrone with the draw's we've had and then a chance for the newer players to get a whiff of croker. 

AhNowRef

Quote from: Whishtup on July 20, 2015, 03:40:14 PM
I wouldn't be complaining-while it is a strange decision, the winning teams from these games will have bedded into Croke park before Mayo and Monaghan.  Can't get any better than this for Tyrone with the draw's we've had and then a chance for the newer players to get a whiff of croker.

Yep, I'd go for the benefits of this before complaining about the atmosphere of a 1/4 full Croker ..... Suits Tyrone perfectly..

ONeill

Agree with this - always good to get to Croke for a Championship game. You never know when the next time will be. Tyrone's last was Mayo in 2013.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Fuzzman

If you look at how many was at the game in Semple then even if we held this game in Markievicz park sligo there would still not be more than 10-12K at it I'd say
Sligo fans got badly burned yesterday and we are the last team they wanted to meet I'd say
No matter where this game would be held numbers would be poor so it is probably best to bring 4 teams to HQ and at least Sligo get their day in the sun in Croker which for a lot of counties is a big novelty. Sorry to sound patronising.

Donegal v Galway will bring a decent crowd to Dublin as both counties have so many have living the da Capital anyway so I too think its the right choice. Its not long ago we would have loved a chance to come to Croker but now half of ye are whinging about it.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 20, 2015, 04:02:37 PM
If you look at how many was at the game in Semple then even if we held this game in Markievicz park sligo there would still not be more than 10-12K at it I'd say
Sligo fans got badly burned yesterday and we are the last team they wanted to meet I'd say
No matter where this game would be held numbers would be poor so it is probably best to bring 4 teams to HQ and at least Sligo get their day in the sun in Croker which for a lot of counties is a big novelty. Sorry to sound patronising.

Donegal v Galway will bring a decent crowd to Dublin as both counties have so many have living the da Capital anyway so I too think its the right choice. Its not long ago we would have loved a chance to come to Croker but now half of ye are whinging about it.

To be fair, it's only 2.  :) Mickey will definitely want it at Croker anyway!
That was never a square ball!!

Redhand Santa

Wouldn't have been my first choice but happy enough with a double header in croke. Definitely a better option than one game in enniskillen or somewhere.

There's lot of benefits to it being in croke including most importantly the players from winning teams getting a run out there ahead of the quarter finals. It's got the best surface in the country and most comfortable stadium to watch a game in. Compare it to wooden seats in enniskillen and facilities around the ground there.

There was a tenth of the capacity in  thurles on Saturday and atmosphere was good in first half when  game was a contest. Similarly I've seen great atmosphere in croke when just a few thousand there for intermediate club finals. The trick though is keeping the crowd together. They should only open the lower hogan and make sure that's where camera face.

Christmas Lights

Quote from: Redhand Santa on July 20, 2015, 04:10:24 PM
Wouldn't have been my first choice but happy enough with a double header in croke. Definitely a better option than one game in enniskillen or somewhere.

There's lot of benefits to it being in croke including most importantly the players from winning teams getting a run out there ahead of the quarter finals. It's got the best surface in the country and most comfortable stadium to watch a game in. Compare it to wooden seats in enniskillen and facilities around the ground there.

There was a tenth of the capacity in  thurles on Saturday and atmosphere was good in first half when  game was a contest. Similarly I've seen great atmosphere in croke when just a few thousand there for intermediate club finals. The trick though is keeping the crowd together. They should only open the lower hogan and make sure that's where camera face.

+353 1 819 2300

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: ONeill on July 20, 2015, 03:54:52 PM

Agree with this - always good to get to Croke for a Championship game. You never know when the next time will be. Tyrone's last was Mayo in 2013.

It'll be my first Tyrone game in Croker since Mayo in 2004

redhandefender

Under Lights

When you say that it will be good for players to get a run out and good experience it will stand them in NO stead for whenever there is 70,000+ packed into it. Silly having it there. Going to look stupid and feel dead.

redhandefender

i can assure you there won't be 70,000 there for the quarter final. get off your lazy ass and travel a bit extra. people from tyrone would complain no matter where it is ffs