Tyrone v Sligo Sat 1st August 2015 Croke Park - 13 years on

Started by Fuzzman, July 19, 2015, 03:54:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

omagh_gael

Quote from: Hound on July 19, 2015, 08:06:54 PM
Quote from: ONeill on July 19, 2015, 07:58:53 PM

So, if Galway beat Donegal and Tyrone beat Sligo, Tyrone play Mayo.
If Donegal beat Galway (most likely) and Tyrone beat Sligo (dead cert) then presumably it's Monaghan v Tyrone and Mayo v Donegal ?

That's the way I read it.

ONeill

Yes, but if Galway beat Donegal, they're not allowed to play Mayo.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: ONeill on July 19, 2015, 08:27:02 PM
Yes, but if Galway beat Donegal, they're not allowed to play Mayo.

Wrong, it's only provincial finalists who can't meet in the last 8.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

ONeill

BennyHarp

From Hoganstand. This explains the rest of the draw pretty clearly.

Just 12 teams remain in the hunt for the Sam Maguire after this weekend's action.

Provincial champions Dublin, Kerry, Monaghan and Mayo are safely through to the All-Ireland quarter-finals where they will be joined by the winners of the Cork v Kildare, Westmeath v Fermanagh, Donegal v Galway and Tyrone v Sligo fourth round qualifier ties, which will take place over the next two weekends.

In the first pair of quarter-finals on August 1-2, Dublin will face either Cork or Kildare and Kerry will meet the winners of Westmeath and Fermanagh. The following weekend, Mayo could face a rematch of their Connacht semi-final against Galway if the Tribesmen beat Donegal, while Monaghan will meet Tyrone or Sligo.

In the All-Ireland semi-finals, it's Kerry/Westmeath/Fermanagh v Monaghan/Tyrone/Sligo on August 23 and Dublin/Kildare/Cork v Mayo/Galway/Donegal on August 30.
That was never a square ball!!

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Mano

Quote from: Rossfan on July 20, 2015, 09:11:48 AM
Can Sligo give a walkover?

Who are Ross playing the next round? Oh wait....

Goin Down

Quote from: BennyHarp on July 20, 2015, 01:13:59 AM

Just 12 teams remain in the hunt for the Sam Maguire after this weekend's action.

Provincial champions Dublin, Kerry, Monaghan and Mayo are safely through to the All-Ireland quarter-finals where they will be joined by the winners of the Cork v Kildare, Westmeath v Fermanagh, Donegal v Galway and Tyrone v Sligo fourth round qualifier ties, which will take place over the next two weekends.

In the first pair of quarter-finals on August 1-2, Dublin will face either Cork or Kildare and Kerry will meet the winners of Westmeath and Fermanagh. The following weekend, Mayo could face a rematch of their Connacht semi-final against Galway if the Tribesmen beat Donegal, while Monaghan will meet Tyrone or Sligo.

In the All-Ireland semi-finals, it's Kerry/Westmeath/Fermanagh v Monaghan/Tyrone/Sligo on August 23 and Dublin/Kildare/Cork v Mayo/Galway/Donegal on August 30.

Really?! Just going by ONeills post and what I thought myself if Galway beat Donegal and Tyrone beat Sligo the repeat pairing of Mayo v Galway could then be avoided?

I would have thought in this case it would be Mayo v Tyrone and Monaghan v Galway?
Remember This.

omagh_gael

Quote from: BennyHarp on July 20, 2015, 01:13:59 AM

It says Monaghan will will meet Tyrone or Sligo, surely they can also meet Galway if they were to beat Donegal?

Redhand Santa

There is some misleading information from the media about the gaa draws and it's always hard to know what's right. I think that above is wrong and Monaghan could play Galway, I also have a notion they avoid repeat pairings where possible so they would play Galway if they and Tyrone win.

Fuzzman

So does that mean Tyrone or Sligo DEFINITELY meet Monaghan or we could meet them
If it definite then that must be a bit of a kick in the teeth to Monaghan that they'll more than likely meet another "bloody" Ulster team having just come out of Ulster.
They've beaten us a few times recently in Clones but don't have such a good record in Croke Park. Actually who was the last team they beat in Croke park?

I think they've moved on a bit since then though and McManus showed yesterday that even if he's double marked by one of the toughest defenders out there he can still keep his head and score 5 or 6 points which is a lot better than Murphy has been doing lately. They will fancy their chances of course now of getting to a semi-final v Kerry you would expect who again have a very handy route to the final 4. After yesterday Kerry & Cork won't be so worried about Donegal but again its dangerous to write them off. Mayo with their new found weapon at FF will be hard to stop. I'm glad we're not facing them should we make the 1/4s. Was interesting to listen to TSG panel last night talk us up a little and say nobody will want to meet Tyrone.

Anyway, back to Sligo. Where do ye think this will be played as I'll be in Westport that weekend. Could it be Enniskillen? I hope its around 7pm and not 3pm throw in.

I'd be so pleased if Mickey moved Justy to MF and Mattie to CHF or even wing forward. Young Meyler looked very good to me yesterday and is well with a starting place.

omagh_gael

With the likes of Clarke coming close to full match fitness and  Justy to come back in, along with thr strong performance of Meyler at the weekend, the first 15 is going to be next to impossible to predict. If I was to give it ago I'd go for:

Morgan
McCrory
McNamee
McCarron
McNabb
Joe McMahon
Harte
C Cavanagh
Justy
McCann
Donnelly
Meyler
Bradley
Sean
McAliskey

Redhand Santa

If Donegal and Tyrone win we definitely play Monaghan. A Galway and Tyrone win is a but less clear. I'm not sure if that would lead to a draw or if we'd automatically play mayo which I think is the most likely. A Sligo win and they couldn't play mayo obviously.

The Monaghan boys are talking about all Ireland's and Banty said it was a very poor performance in second half yesterday and that wouldn't even be good enough to beat someone like Tyrone. On another thread they were giving us a bit of stick and calling us the fourth best in ulster. I hope we do get a go at them in croke park.  Will be hard for them to get focused on that game as they'll be building for a semi with Kerry.

straightred

Quote from: Redhand Santa on July 20, 2015, 09:54:34 AM
There is some misleading information from the media about the gaa draws and it's always hard to know what's right. I think that above is wrong and Monaghan could play Galway, I also have a notion they avoid repeat pairings where possible so they would play Galway if they and Tyrone win.

Is this stuff written down anywhere ? Fermanagh and Antrim have played twice this year but now they decide not to have a draw which could put Donegal against Tyrone. Which is it ? Rematches or no rematches ?

Gaa.ie has Monaghan and Mayo v Round 4b winners so it looks like they are keeping their options open regarding the pairings. If Sligo and Galway both come through then they'll have to have a draw surely ?