OWC in “no sex please we’re Irish” shocker

Started by Orior, April 25, 2007, 12:25:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Sams

....one of the most civilised cities in the world....further to Hardy and Gabriel's posts above re lapdancing and sex shops....everything is out in the open and isnt seedy at all like elsewhere...so I hear :P :P

p.s. thon Zanzibar on Younge St is some spot!!!
The Aristocrat Years

GweylTah

Quote from: Hardy on April 25, 2007, 03:58:24 PM
Quote from: thejuice on April 25, 2007, 03:37:40 PM
just noticed that Ann Summers has closed down on O'Connell street, and Stringfellow didnt last long either, maybe we not sophisticated after all

I'd have thought this indicated quite the opposite.

Maybe not sophisticated, liberal and tolerant would be a start. Maybe the DUP, Free Ps and part of the OO would be at home on OConnell Street with their ideas (though obviously they wouldn't be able to parade, natch, or else all hell would break loose).

Evil Genius

Quote from: full back on April 25, 2007, 01:59:30 PM

What is the difference with having a sex shop on the street in comparison to other establishments.
Granted, some people may be outraged at it, but if all pioneers/reformed drinkers that didnt like alcohol were up in arms about a pub do you think the pub would be closed down?

OK, then, let's please the Prudes and the Pioneers by combining Sex Shops with Pubs, with the joint establishments limited to one licensed licensed area.* (A dog-track and a few all-night Kebab shops wouldn't go astray, either)
It would suit me fine not to have to listen to assorted God-Botherers, Mary Whitehouses and noisy, irritating bloody kids while I'm enjoying a quiet (ahem) pint.  :D

* - We could call it "Our Wee Zone"!  ;)
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

his holiness nb

Quote from: GweylTah on April 25, 2007, 05:48:39 PM
Maybe the DUP, Free Ps and part of the OO would be at home on OConnell Street with their ideas (though obviously they wouldn't be able to parade, natch, or else all hell would break loose).
I wonder was anyone looting Ann Summers during the riots?

Ask me holy bollix

Jim_Murphy_74

just noticed that Ann Summers has closed down on O'Connell street, and Stringfellow didnt last long either, maybe we not sophisticated after all

Maybe not sophisticated, liberal and tolerant would be a start. Maybe the DUP, Free Ps and part of the OO would be at home on OConnell Street with their ideas (though obviously they wouldn't be able to parade, natch, or else all hell would break loose).

Liberal and tolerant is a start but O'Connell Street is the premium street in Dublin (supposedly) and should not be marred by any of the following:

Sex shops
Fast Food joints
Amusement Arcades
Internet Cafes/Internation Phone Card shops

I had the misfortune to walk the thing last Monday and Yeats was right about the place all those years ago.  No amount of Spires, Larkins or O'Connells will change it.

Shame!

/Jim.

his holiness nb

Ann Summers was a lot more classy than Dr Quirkeys!
Ask me holy bollix

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Bogball XV on April 25, 2007, 01:54:35 PM
Quote from: GweylTah on April 25, 2007, 12:39:48 PM
No more and no less pathetic than the moral outrage over Ann Summers coming to OConnell Street. Whats sauce for the goose.....
What are the similarities??  One is in a back street, the other is in the main thoroughfare of a city - I'd have thought there was quite a difference, the only proviso being that O'Connell St already was/is a shithole long before Ann Summers came in.  I don't think it should be there, but then I don't think most of the businesses on O'Connell St are in keeping with the status it should have.

Anne Summers shops signage and outwards appearance is on the same standards as River Island, Elverys, Next, Pennys\Primark so I see no problem with them being on O'Connell St. Better than all those fastfood outlets and €2/discount shops.

Anne Summers = healthy imo
Fast Food = unhealthy imo
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

lawnseed

I take it none of you have had the pleasure of the reeper bahn in hamburg. Half a mile of sex shops etc up both sides of a street that makes oconnell street look like a bog cul de sac. Sex is a huge industry. My mate does catalog deliveries he knows whats in those plain wrappers. The biggest sex shop is @ your fingertips. As usual we are about twenty years behind..
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

stew

Quote from: GweylTah on April 25, 2007, 12:39:48 PM
No more and no less pathetic than the moral outrage over Ann Summers coming to OConnell Street. Whats sauce for the goose.....

Where the fcuk have you been you paranoid bastid???
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

stew

WTF, why would they want to parade down O'Connell Street with their idea's, their idea's are fcuked, inane and unwanted!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Eamonnca1

There's a shop in San Francisco called Good Vibrations. It's a business that was started by women for women to encourage sex-positive thinking and to sell products that help people to enjoy sex in a positive light. A lot of their toys are designed by women. The stores are bright, clean, and modern with decor in the style of an Apple Store.  From the outside it's discreet but not dingy and intimidating. One of the key ingredients of their stores is that they're located in "normal" areas of the city, not the run-down shitholes and shooting galleries where the hookers hang out. 

As long as sex shops are banished to "seedy" areas then sex is going to continue to be seen as some sort of sinister evil force that has to be resisted at all costs, rather than the perfectly natural and enjoyable experience it is.

gallsman

Stew having a rant at a couple of six year old posts. You on the Special Brew, kid? Bit early over there, no?