The handicap is 16 points.
4/5 Dublin -16
13/1 Handicap (16) draw
11/10 Westmeath +16

:o

Dublin still look tempting at those odds
#newbridgeornowhere

shark

A 16 point defeat would be better than our last two defeats to Dublin. Can't be bothered to check the scores but in 2009 and 2013 there was 20+ in it.  2008 was a much tighter game.  Wexford have shown that a hammering off Dublin in the a Leinster Final doesn't necessarily mean your year is over, but it is best avoided. A good start from Westmeath and who knows, but a bad start and it could be a massacre.

Syferus

Quote from: shark on July 02, 2015, 03:29:19 PM
A 16 point defeat would be better than our last two defeats to Dublin. Can't be bothered to check the scores but in 2009 and 2013 there was 20+ in it.  2008 was a much tighter game.  Wexford have shown that a hammering off Dublin in the a Leinster Final doesn't necessarily mean your year is over, but it is best avoided. A good start from Westmeath and who knows, but a bad start and it could be a massacre.

Can Westmeath mount a massed defense with any degree of effectiveness?

twohands!!!

Longford scored 0-10
Kildare scored 0-14

Where will Westmeath end up ?

squire_in_navy_slacks

Westmeath have the talent to definitely score goals, Id imagine they will concede them too though.

shark

Quote from: Syferus on July 02, 2015, 03:31:37 PM

I don't think the players are there to implement it.  And I don't think it's reasonable to expect to be able to implement a brand new system with little or no practice.  Westmeath's best players are not backs, that's just how it is a the moment. The only top bracket back in the county, Kieran Gavin, has been injured since August, and has only made his way as far as the bench so far. We all saw last Sunday that Kieran Martin is a forward rather than a back, and even James Dolan who plays wing back lines out at corner forward for Garrycastle. 

I just don't know how I would approach it if I were Cribbin. Damage limitation and keep the whole thing ticking over for a second go at a 1/4 final place?  Or go hell for leather, as there is nothing to lose bar getting a bruised ego?

twohands!!!

Quote from: shark on July 02, 2015, 05:10:38 PM
I just don't know how I would approach it if I were Cribbin. Damage limitation and keep the whole thing ticking over for a second go at a 1/4 final place?  Or go hell for leather, as there is nothing to lose bar getting a bruised ego?

It's a devil of a pickle of a question

If I was him I'd almost be tempted to get hold of Jason Ryan's phone number and ask him for some tips just for the wild craic of it.

[ Actually thinking about it a bit I'm almost pretty sure I could source Jason Ryan's mobile number - the problem is that the odds are probably fairly high they've crossed paths at some stage especially given how much they've both been involved in Leinster football  ;( ]

He could try ringing Jack Sheedy as well but I have my suspicions Jack might not be as keen as Jason to see the Dubs beaten  ;)

Also in terms of keeping the scoreline down not conceding goals is critical - I wonder if some manager somewhere is working on a 2nd keeper tactic - basically another actual keeper who is permanently stationed 5/10/15metres in front of the normal keeper - the player has no marking duties whatsoever and their focus is on stopping goals.  Make it so that you reduce Dublin of the oxygen of goals to as low as possible.

Is this madness or am I inspired?

Syferus

Quote from: twohands!!! on July 02, 2015, 07:01:22 PM

If I was him I'd almost be tempted to get hold of Jason Ryan's phone number and ask him for some tips just for the wild craic of it.

[ Actually thinking about it a bit I'm almost pretty sure I could source Jason Ryan's mobile number - the problem is that the odds are probably fairly high they've crossed paths at some stage especially given how much they've both been involved in Leinster football  ;( ]

He could try ringing Jack Sheedy as well but I have my suspicions Jack might not be as keen as Jason to see the Dubs beaten  ;)

Also in terms of keeping the scoreline down not conceding goals is critical - I wonder if some manager somewhere is working on a 2nd keeper tactic - basically another actual keeper who is permanently stationed 5/10/15metres in front of the normal keeper - the player has no marking duties whatsoever and their focus is on stopping goals.  Make it so that you reduce Dublin of the oxygen of goals to as low as possible.

Asking Jack Sheedy how to beat the Dubs would be like asking a blind man what colour the sky is.

twohands!!!

Quote from: Syferus on July 02, 2015, 07:03:24 PM

Asking a Jack Sheedy how to beat the Dubs would be like asking a blind man what colour the sky is.

Well maybe -ask him what to do and then do the complete opposite.... :D

Although with Sheedy's Dublin link, he might give the wrong answer to increase Dublin's chances of winning in which case do the opposite of the opposite of what he said  ??? ???

Dinny Breen

Quote from: twohands!!! on July 02, 2015, 07:01:22 PM

Cribben was Kildare u21 manager last year so you'd hope he'd know Ryan well.
#newbridgeornowhere

twohands!!!

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 02, 2015, 09:25:45 PM
Cribben was Kildare u21 manager last year so you'd hope he'd know Ryan well.

Yeah I kinda instinctively felt the odds of them crossing paths was fairly high.

So what does everyone think of my 2nd goalkeeper idea.

Am I the 2nd coming of Jim The Messiah (I can grow a fierce beard if I put my mind to it) or should I be directing my energies elsewhere?

Croí na hÉireann

It was 16 on the nose in 2013 and that after Dessie failed a last minute fitness test. Spread for that match was 6. 2009 was circa 25 points, only positive from that day was the performances of John Connellan and Conor Lynam in their first year at senior level. Connellan tore Rory O'Carroll who was making his debut a new one IIRC. Left the game in 2008 behind us, poor shooting into the hill in the second half cost us.

A good start is key alright, even more so is keeping a clean sheet. Donegal with the heaviest tog blanket conceded 17 points to them last year so we're going to have to score heavily. I think we'll beat the spread and a single digit defeat will give a good base to make the quarter finals.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Syferus on July 02, 2015, 03:31:37 PM

I don't think the players are there to implement it.  And I don't think it's reasonable to expect to be able to implement a brand new system with little or no practice.  Westmeath's best players are not backs, that's just how it is a the moment. The only top bracket back in the county, Kieran Gavin, has been injured since August, and has only made his way as far as the bench so far. We all saw last Sunday that Kieran Martin is a forward rather than a back, and even James Dolan who plays wing back lines out at corner forward for Garrycastle. 

Yeah, it would be lunacy to attempt the blanket after not playing it all year. I'd include Kevin Maguire in the top bracket back category though, needs to be in the corner though.

Monaghan went defensive in the quarter final last year, they know what they are at and look how that ended up for them. For me we are at our best when pressing high so I'd stay with that. For the kickout though I would withdraw bodies to conceed the short kickout and look to press from the 45. If we can turn them over a few times they might make changes earlier than planned. Taking any possible goal opportunities is an absolute must. Looking forward to finding out where we really stand.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 02, 2015, 02:30:00 PM
1/500 Dub
66/1 Draw
25/1 Westmeath

4/5 Dublin -16
13/1 Handicap (16) draw
11/10 Westmeath +16

Longest odds i can recall for provincial final. Meath would be given more of a chance if they reached the final

Syferus

Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 02, 2015, 11:44:04 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 02, 2015, 02:30:00 PM
1/500 Dub
66/1 Draw
25/1 Westmeath

4/5 Dublin -16
13/1 Handicap (16) draw
11/10 Westmeath +16

Longest odds i can recall for provincial final. Meath would be given more of a chance if they reached the final

It would still have been an academic difference.