Monaghan V Donegal Ulster Final

Started by J70, June 27, 2015, 08:56:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

Quote from: Blowitupref on July 19, 2015, 07:51:16 PM
Quote from: Sidney on July 19, 2015, 05:42:17 PM
Great win for Monaghan but given the way they ran out of steam in the last 15-20 minutes, I'd worry a little for them if they come up against Kerry in the semi-final.
I'd worry a little for them if they come up against Tyrone in the quarter-final.
I'd have Monaghan to beat Tyrone by 4-6 points, but to lose to Kerry by a similarly comfortable scoreline

Esmarelda

Once Monaghan figured out that having six lads back on McBrearty doesn't work unless you mark him and the space in front of him they were the better team.

Donegal completely tied up the two Hughes brothers and McManus for half an hour. It'd be interesting to see how many times those three touched the ball in that time. Once McGee went in the book it freed up McManus a bit.

The all-out defensive tactics of both was hard to believe at times but Monaghan were able to break through when it mattered and Donegal couldn't.

I found it very strange how little ball was actually kicked in by both sides when their inside forwards were making runs. It seemed like a stick to the running game regardless of how obvious a pass was.

I'm not sure either will be a match for any of Dublin, Kerry or Mayo.

Finally, how did McFadden and McNialais stay on for so long? The former seems to have reverted to his 2014 form.

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: screenexile on July 19, 2015, 07:42:47 PM
Quote from: SouthDublinBro on July 19, 2015, 06:46:08 PM
Dire game, par for the course for games involving these two sides.

Donegal choked hard. They lost to an old team who are simply not championsip material. A Dublin, Mayo or Kerry would have smashed Monaghan today. Donegal missed at least 10 EASY scores.

What drivel!!

Missed the first 25 minutes, but what I saw of it, it was a very enjoyable game.

Main Street

Quote from: screenexile on July 19, 2015, 07:42:47 PM
Quote from: SouthDublinBro on July 19, 2015, 06:46:08 PM
Dire game, par for the course for games involving these two sides.

Donegal choked hard. They lost to an old team who are simply not championsip material. A Dublin, Mayo or Kerry would have smashed Monaghan today. Donegal missed at least 10 EASY scores.

What drivel!!
96 posts and everyone of them negative drivel.

From the Bunker

Five weeks ago Donegal were world beaters and lauded for their innovative style of football. Mayo were seen as being stale with no new players coming through and not in the top three. Today Mayo are seen as a team of real potential in the championship. While Donegal were seen as a tired team with no plan B. Kerry two weeks ago after being completely outplayed by a so called useless Cork team survived courtesy of a dodgy penalty and a hail Mary point! The reality is you are from here on is you are one game away from being World beaters or a game away from being useless!

Rudi

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 19, 2015, 09:32:23 PM
Five weeks ago Donegal were world beaters and lauded for their innovative style of football. Mayo were seen as being stale with no new players coming through and not in the top three. Today Mayo are seen as a team of real potential in the championship. While Donegal were seen as a tired team with no plan B. Kerry two weeks ago after being completely outplayed by a so called useless Cork team survived courtesy of a dodgy penalty and a hail Mary point! The reality is you are from here on is you are one game away from being World beaters or a game away from being useless!

That's very true, John Evans after we beat a poor down team in the league final was considered to be one of the best managers in the country, now he will do well to be kept on in ros. Donegal were poor today, but unlucky not to get at least a draw. McManus ate McGee, Monaghan will be cannon fodder in the all Ireland series.

J70

Media is always knee-jerk, as is the public discourse it drives.

What ever happened to the sledging "crisis"?

Main Street

Quote from: J70 on July 19, 2015, 09:48:52 PM

I assume that was an extremely tough game for you to watch J70,  I wouldn't even wish it on my worst enemies, never mind our Donegal brethren. Overall the game was played tough but fair enough and without histrionics.
Nevertheless, I would expect Donegal to make it to Croke Park  and possibly both Monaghan and Donegal will be looking for 1/4 final redemption against Mayo and Tyrone respectively.

straightred

Quote from: Rudi on July 19, 2015, 09:43:44 PM

That's very true, John Evans after we beat a poor down team in the league final was considered to be one of the best managers in the country, now he will do well to be kept on in ros. Donegal were poor today, but unlucky not to get at least a draw. McManus ate McGee, Monaghan will be cannon fodder in the all Ireland series.

The only team I don't think they'd ever beat is Dublin. Kerry would probably beat them 9 times out of 10 but outside those 2 they're a match for anyone

straightred

Quote from: Esmarelda on July 19, 2015, 08:50:18 PM
Once Monaghan figured out that having six lads back on McBrearty doesn't work unless you mark him and the space in front of him they were the better team.

Donegal completely tied up the two Hughes brothers and McManus for half an hour. It'd be interesting to see how many times those three touched the ball in that time. Once McGee went in the book it freed up McManus a bit.

The all-out defensive tactics of both was hard to believe at times but Monaghan were able to break through when it mattered and Donegal couldn't.

I found it very strange how little ball was actually kicked in by both sides when their inside forwards were making runs. It seemed like a stick to the running game regardless of how obvious a pass was.

I'm not sure either will be a match for any of Dublin, Kerry or Mayo.

Finally, how did McFadden and McNialais stay on for so long? The former seems to have reverted to his 2014 form.

McFadden in particular - couldn't believe how poor he was.
Corey did a great job on Murphy as well- kept him very quiet

SouthDublinBro

Quote from: Main Street on July 19, 2015, 09:15:34 PM
96 posts and everyone of them negative drivel.

Your team won a provincial title today, go out and celebrate.

Sidney

Eamon Fitzmaurice is lauded as a tactical genius despite Kerry struggling hugely with Donegal's defensive system in last year's All-Ireland final and only winning due to a catastrophic goalkeeping error.

J70

Quote from: Main Street on July 19, 2015, 09:56:56 PM

I assume that was an extremely tough game for you to watch J70,  I wouldn't even wish it on my worst enemies, never mind our Donegal brethren. Overall the game was played tough but fair enough and without histrionics.
Nevertheless, I would expect Donegal to make it to Croke Park  and possibly both Monaghan and Donegal will be looking for 1/4 final redemption against Mayo and Tyrone respectively.

I was extremely frustrated for most of it, but a bit happier, if ultimately sickened :p with the last fifteen when we finally figured out that the McHughs and other small forwards running at you might bring a bit of success. Just a shame it took so long. Better team over the whole game clearly won though.

And yes, it was nice to see an absence of bullshit and shoving!

I think we are up against it now in terms of reaching last four. Galway will be very tough,  before we even begin to think of Mayo!

straightred

Quote from: J70 on July 19, 2015, 10:19:38 PM
Quote from: Main Street on July 19, 2015, 09:56:56 PM

I was extremely frustrated for most of it, but a bit happier, if ultimately sickened :p with the last fifteen when we finally figured out that the McHughs and other small forwards running at you might bring a bit of success. Just a shame it took so long. Better team over the whole game clearly won though.

And yes, it was nice to see an absence of bullshit and shoving!

I think we are up against it now in terms of reaching last four. Galway will be very tough,  before we even begin to think of Mayo!

Naw - galway needed serious help from the ref to beat a worse derry team than you've already beaten. You'll beat them easily.

babarino

Quote from: Rudi on July 19, 2015, 09:43:44 PM
Monaghan will be cannon fodder in the all Ireland series.

Aye right. Gonna quote you on that.