Monaghan V Donegal Ulster Final

Started by J70, June 27, 2015, 08:56:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BluestackBoy

Forecast for Sunday isn't good with a lot of rain in prospect.

This will turn the game into even more of a dogfight & have the lovers of open football in even more of a tizzy.

Us Ulstermen, players & spectators,  will however relish the conditions & will look forward to seeing real men give it their all.

Bring it on.
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

armaghniac

The train from Bundoran will be packed for this one.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 16, 2015, 07:54:02 PM
Quote from: babarino on July 16, 2015, 06:42:28 PM
Quote from: Sleater on July 16, 2015, 05:59:38 PM
O'Rourke usually has a surprise up his sleeve in the team line up. I wouldn't have thought Carey would start against Cavan or indeed retain his place against Fermanagh. It wouldn't be unlike O'Rourke to start someone like Tommy Kerr in the final.

I'd like to see Owen Duffy start. He's a great talent, has an eye of scores, which he showed before a serious injury a few years ago. He's had a few run outs of late and I suspect he'd be well up for it.
I'd like to see him in too - had a good performance against Cavan and anyone who can take some of the pressure off McManus is worth a shot. I'd also like to see McGuinness get half a game. Hughes, McManus and one of those two in the forward line should yield some scores.

Owen Duffy for Carey with Gollogly to come in. Agreed re McGuinness.

Clerkin/Finlay to come in for Lennon. I'd like to see him start but can't see him stickin with Gallagher/McElhinney for the full 74 mins..

babarino

Another lazy preview of the match from McStay on RTÉ Morning Ireland. He predicts a Donegal win, which is fair enough, but says Monaghan are "far too reliant on McManus." McManus is to Monaghan, what O'Donoghue is to Kerry, Brogan to Dublin - a stand out class forward. Many counties are fortunate to have one.

The same McStay that rubbished our chances of staying in Division 1.

DennistheMenace

I keep hearing how good Murphy has been this season but has he really been exceptional bar the Armagh game?

Tyrone he was a nonymous from play having been shackled by Justin McMahon and against Derry he was largely on the periphery

J70

Quote from: DennistheMenace on July 17, 2015, 09:02:54 AM
I keep hearing how good Murphy has been this season but has he really been exceptional bar the Armagh game?

Tyrone he was a nonymous from play having been shackled by Justin McMahon and against Derry he was largely on the periphery

Wasn't his best game overall for sure, but the two 50+m points he hit from play were vital scores, especially the second one which put us three up in the last few minutes when Derry were dominating possession. And even in the Tyrone game, when McMahon literally had him tied up, he hit three difficult long distance frees late on which won the game.

DennistheMenace

Quote from: J70 on July 17, 2015, 09:22:15 AM
Quote from: DennistheMenace on July 17, 2015, 09:02:54 AM

Wasn't his best game overall for sure, but the two 50+m points he hit from play were vital scores, especially the second one which put us three up in the last few minutes when Derry were dominating possession. And even in the Tyrone game, when McMahon literally had him tied up, he hit three difficult long distance frees late on which won the game.

So essentially he's been superb from frees which I wouldn't disagree with and was outstanding from play against Armagh? Just think there is far too much emphasis put on him and Donegal are far more a whole than the sum of their parts.

orangeman

If Murphy hits top form then any opposition will be in trouble. You'd imagine if you had a Murphy you'd play him as close to goal as possible but Donegal don't always use that tactic, preferring instead to get more out of him by getting him involved, hands on the ball out the field.

DennistheMenace

Quote from: orangeman on July 17, 2015, 09:58:25 AM
If Murphy hits top form then any opposition will be in trouble. You'd imagine if you had a Murphy you'd play him as close to goal as possible but Donegal don't always use that tactic, preferring instead to get more out of him by getting him involved, hands on the ball out the field.

If Murphy was playing a decade ago I'd say he would definitely be playing closer to goal and would largely be unstoppable in the style of games back then when top class forwards could express themselves on a weekly basis.

orangeman

Quote from: DennistheMenace on July 17, 2015, 10:05:19 AM
Quote from: orangeman on July 17, 2015, 09:58:25 AM

If Murphy was playing a decade ago I'd say he would definitely be playing closer to goal and would largely be unstoppable in the style of games back then when top class forwards could express themselves on a weekly basis.

There seems to have been an evolution after an evaluation of Murphy's input. When Murphy played in the first year or two, he was played mostly on the square but over time he has come out more and more around the middle.

But I suppose you can afford that when you have lads like Mc Fadden and MC Brearty around.

Question is - if MC Brearty is injured and doesn't play on Sunday, where does Murphy go ?.

Boycey

Quote from: BluestackBoy on July 16, 2015, 08:52:43 PM
Forecast for Sunday isn't good with a lot of rain in prospect.

This will turn the game into even more of a dogfight & have the lovers of open football in even more of a tizzy.

Us Ulstermen, players & spectators,  will however relish the conditions & will look forward to seeing real men give it their all.

Bring it on.

Yep, I for one can't wait to stand in the rain for 2/3 hours. Bring it on ::)

upmonaghansayswe

So our fellas are getting suited up by Tommy Bowes clothing range. White with a trim of blue obviously...

Main Street

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on July 16, 2015, 10:27:41 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on July 16, 2015, 07:54:02 PM
Quote from: babarino on July 16, 2015, 06:42:28 PM
Quote from: Sleater on July 16, 2015, 05:59:38 PM
O'Rourke usually has a surprise up his sleeve in the team line up. I wouldn't have thought Carey would start against Cavan or indeed retain his place against Fermanagh. It wouldn't be unlike O'Rourke to start someone like Tommy Kerr in the final.

I'd like to see Owen Duffy start. He's a great talent, has an eye of scores, which he showed before a serious injury a few years ago. He's had a few run outs of late and I suspect he'd be well up for it.
I'd like to see him in too - had a good performance against Cavan and anyone who can take some of the pressure off McManus is worth a shot. I'd also like to see McGuinness get half a game. Hughes, McManus and one of those two in the forward line should yield some scores.

Owen Duffy for Carey with Gollogly to come in. Agreed re McGuinness.

Clerkin/Finlay to come in for Lennon. I'd like to see him start but can't see him stickin with Gallagher/McElhinney for the full 74 mins..
A lot depends on how much progress Lennon has made since his rusty performance against Fermanagh. Are not Monaghan fans just assuming Lennon will be fit enough to be up to this pace? I'd have a lot more confidence in Clerkin starting, he has always looked fit and sharp when he comes on, don't know about his stamina though.
Unfortunately Finlay has slowed a bit and errors are creeping in.

BluestackBoy

Quote from: upmonaghansayswe on July 17, 2015, 11:35:09 AM
So our fellas are getting suited up by Tommy Bowes clothing range. White with a trim of blue obviously...

I would pay good money to see Monaghan arrive in Clones in suits like those :o :o :o
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

J70

Not to derail the thread, but no one gave a bollocks about those suits until Ferguson ' s book came out five years later. I've never seen what the big deal was.

I say fair play to the Monaghan boys if they arrive like that! :)