Monaghan V Donegal Ulster Final

Started by J70, June 27, 2015, 08:56:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throw ball

Tough one to call this. Donegal obvious favourites but if Derry can run them as close as they did then Monaghan can beat them. Family connections mean I will be cheering on Monaghan. Hughes for man of match - well there is 2 of them so my odds must improve!

Whitnail

I like monaghan people, I know quite a few and rank them very high

But I hate their football team

A/ They know how to beat us
B/ They're our reflection in style & tactics
C/ They're  f**king rough

J70

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 15, 2015, 05:20:22 PM
Outside of McManus, and the 2 Hughes, Donegal have the better players, and i expect them to beat monaghan, not sure what sort of match it would be.

Hopefully it won't plumb the depths of the league game!

What was the score - 0-9 to 1-4 I think?

It will be defensive though (to state the bleeding obvious! )

Main Street

Outside of McManus, and the 2 Hughes, Donegal have the better players, and i expect them to beat monaghan, not sure what sort of match it would be.
That would be a very bad match.

Maguire01

Quote from: J70 on July 15, 2015, 08:19:53 PM

Hopefully it won't plumb the depths of the league game!

What was the score - 0-9 to 1-4 I think?

It will be defensive though (to state the bleeding obvious! )
I'd take that scoreline and result again.

Bingo

Purely in the interest of novelity, I'm going to take a stab at the Monaghan starting team that I think O'Rourke will start on Sunday:

Beegan
R Wylie
D Wylie (Just going out on a mad theory that if he is ready or close to it, he'll start, if not K Duffy and a reshuffle)
C Walshe
K O'Connell
V Corey
F Kelly
N McAdam
E Lennon
D Mone
D Hughes
S Gollogy
D Malone
K Hughes
C McManus

orangeman

Quote from: Bingo on July 16, 2015, 10:11:42 AM
Purely in the interest of novelity, I'm going to take a stab at the Monaghan starting team that I think O'Rourke will start on Sunday:

Beegan
R Wylie
D Wylie (Just going out on a mad theory that if he is ready or close to it, he'll start, if not K Duffy and a reshuffle)
C Walshe
K O'Connell
V Corey
F Kelly
N McAdam
E Lennon
D Mone
D Hughes
S Gollogy
D Malone
K Hughes
C McManus

Very strong side.

Hard to know how this will go. Pressure is all on Donegal. Monaghan weren't that convincing over Fermanagh. Same could be said about Donegal over Derry.

Intriguing battle ahead.

Jinxy

I fully expect this game to be tight all the way with Big Dick coming on to swing it for Monaghan.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

orangeman

Quote from: Jinxy on July 16, 2015, 11:34:20 AM
I fully expect this game to be tight all the way with Big Dick coming on to swing it for Monaghan.

That would make for some headline in Monday's paper.

Big Dicks swings it !

Bingo

Right, who's Farney on the Hoganstand! Posted my team but made one change - Finlay for Gollogy. And I know this because it is exactly set out the same bar that one change and like mine, starts with just Beegan as apposed to R Beegan. The rest of the players got their first name initials included.   >:(

Main Street

I read in the IT that Donegal are up to their old spying tricks.
Jim McGuinness in a marathon ramble in the IT,
"I heard during the week that Monaghan were playing 15 versus 20 in training matches and were filming it so they could study it afterward. Malachy O'Rourke knows what is coming down the track in the Ulster final next Sunday and needs to know that his players are practiced in coping with it. Being able to think and play your way through extreme pressure"

I suppose you could also read into that training exercise,  that it takes 20 Monaghan player to simulate the effect of 15 Donegal players in a match :)
No wonder Donegal are still red hot favourites at 1/3  to lift the Anglo Celt.

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Sleater

O'Rourke usually has a surprise up his sleeve in the team line up. I wouldn't have thought Carey would start against Cavan or indeed retain his place against Fermanagh. It wouldn't be unlike O'Rourke to start someone like Tommy Kerr in the final.

babarino

Quote from: Sleater on July 16, 2015, 05:59:38 PM
O'Rourke usually has a surprise up his sleeve in the team line up. I wouldn't have thought Carey would start against Cavan or indeed retain his place against Fermanagh. It wouldn't be unlike O'Rourke to start someone like Tommy Kerr in the final.

I'd like to see Owen Duffy start. He's a great talent, has an eye for scores, which he showed before a serious injury a few years ago. He's had a few run outs of late and I suspect he'd be well up for it.

Maguire01

Quote from: babarino on July 16, 2015, 06:42:28 PM
Quote from: Sleater on July 16, 2015, 05:59:38 PM

I'd like to see Owen Duffy start. He's a great talent, has an eye of scores, which he showed before a serious injury a few years ago. He's had a few run outs of late and I suspect he'd be well up for it.
I'd like to see him in too - had a good performance against Cavan and anyone who can take some of the pressure off McManus is worth a shot. I'd also like to see McGuinness get half a game. Hughes, McManus and one of those two in the forward line should yield some scores.