Connacht Final. Mayo v Sligo. July 19.

Started by moysider, June 22, 2015, 04:29:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Aidan O'Shea is a tank and could make all the difference this year but as good as Tom Parsons was today,Tom Parsons always seems like a bit of a flat track bully to me.
Tom Parsons looks great against the likes of Sligo & Roscommon, but Tom Parsons never does it against the big boys.
Maybe Tom Parsons has matured.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

From the Bunker

Quote from: screenexile on July 19, 2015, 08:52:07 PM
Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on July 19, 2015, 08:50:21 PM
If Mayo are to win it this year, they'll most likely have to go through Donegal, Dublin and Kerry.

Not exactly a soft all-Ireland.

They won't get through all 3 of those!

I'd not fear two of those!

Mano

Quote from: sligoman on July 19, 2015, 08:44:22 PM
Mayo were outstanding today, there's a huge gulf between the two teams in terms of physicality and pace and we just couldn't cope with it. Tough on the lads to be on the end of such a humiliating result but the way football has gone now you need to have good big physical athletic players and they are in short supply in Sligo at the minute, it was the same story with the minors who put in a dogged display but they just couldn't cope physically with Galway and were lucky to get a draw.

Mayo's back line must be a big worry for them given the joy we had with the limited ball we did get but I would suspect they'll tailor their plans for more threatening opponents.

Pat Hughes was about the only player we had up to it physically. Carew's done a good job and we've got some good young players but hard to see us doing anything when we don't have seem to have any big physical players up to the standard in the county. Parsons has really blossomed into a superb midfielder, makes it all the more sickening as he could make a huge difference to this team.

Not looking forward to the Tyrone game, hopefully the lads can regain a bit of respectability.

Can't agree with that bit Sligoman. He sent those lads out today like lambs to the slaughter with no game plan. There was no sweeper, no blanket, no defensive structure nothing to make the game competitive. AOS cleaned an experienced defender like Hanley against Galway and he expected a raw 19 year old who was a midfielder until this year to try to keep AOS quiet. There was no attempt to cut off the supply line. The u21s he managed got a similar hiding against Roscommon in the championship. He got lucky against a cocky, arrogant, injury plagued Roscommon team.
Finally any clown would know Mayo were going to push up aggressively on the Sligo kick outs yet we started with 2 midfielders under 6 feet. Gilmartin may not be the greatest player but we needed him in there to try and make the midfield area a fair contest.
That's it, rant over

ck

I'm absolutely gutted after that display today. I honestly think that that hammering will set us back 10 years. Tyrone will beat us easily.
I believe Carew is doing a good job but we don't have the physicality to compete at higher level.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: SouthDublinBro on July 19, 2015, 08:09:30 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on July 19, 2015, 07:24:14 PM
Of course! Why so bitter?  Jez, we know that more than anyone! We no more than Dublin deserve to win an AI. It's a comment from a former Manager. When we win it, we'll have deserved it!

Fair enough. Just a bit sick of the Mayo hype really. Dublin get no credit for dominating Leinster while Mayo are lauded for winning against even softer competition.

Lauded?? By who?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

SouthDublinBro

By the sizable contingent of Mayo analysts and commentators in the media.

Armamike

Quote from: SouthDublinBro on July 19, 2015, 08:09:30 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on July 19, 2015, 07:24:14 PM
Of course! Why so bitter?  Jez, we know that more than anyone! We no more than Dublin deserve to win an AI. It's a comment from a former Manager. When we win it, we'll have deserved it!

Fair enough. Just a bit sick of the Mayo hype really. Dublin get no credit for dominating Leinster while Mayo are lauded for winning against even softer competition.

Do you not read newspapers?
That's just, like your opinion man.

BennyHarp

That was never a square ball!!

Farrandeelin

Quote from: SouthDublinBro on July 19, 2015, 10:34:37 PM
By the sizable contingent of Mayo analysts and commentators in the media.

Fair enough, Horan and Brady I suppose you're referring to. I suppose they should call it as it is and say that they've no backs and no forwards despite scoring 6-25 today and winning by 26 points.... (they are right about the full back line in particular, however)

Yes Sligo were rubbish today but Mayo did what they had to do and by God they kept going till the final whistle. The only worry for me is our full back line, as many people have called it they won't win an All Ireland with that full back line. They will probably struggle to win the next day too, Tyrone will come up with a plan to frustrate us, like they did in the league. Galway will have learned too that having played Mayo already to have a plan to deal with our long ball in to Aiden O'Shea route style of playing.  For now however, I'll enjoy the next three weeks. There mightn't be much to enjoy afterwards.

EDIT: I don't know how I thought it was Tyrone v Galway. This backdoor stuff has me all confused. :-[ But Donegal will definitely have a plan for O'Shea with McGee battering the hell out of him...
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

whitey

Quote from: Jinxy on July 19, 2015, 08:53:27 PM
Aidan O'Shea is a tank and could make all the difference this year but as good as Parsons was today, he always seems like a bit of a flat track bully to me.
Looks great against the likes of Sligo & Roscommon, but never does it against the big boys.
Maybe he's matured.

He put in a great shift against Kerry down in Limerck last year

From the Bunker

Quote from: whitey on July 19, 2015, 10:47:27 PM
Aidan O'Shea is a tank and could make all the difference this year but as good as Parsons was today, he always seems like a bit of a flat track bully to me.
Looks great against the likes of Sligo & Roscommon, but never does it against the big boys.
Maybe he's matured.

He put in a great shift in the Kerry game in Croker as well. And against Donegal and Tyrone in 2013. And Dublin in the semi 2012! You are right he has yet to do it against the big teams.

Syferus

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 19, 2015, 11:07:14 PM
Maybe he's matured.

He put in a great shift in the Kerry game in Croker as well. And against Donegal and Tyrone in 2013. And Dublin in the semi 2012! You are right he has yet to do it against the big teams.

..and he was beaten in his duel against Roscommon last year.

sligoman

Quote from: Mano on July 19, 2015, 09:22:57 PM
Quote from: sligoman on July 19, 2015, 08:44:22 PM
Mayo were outstanding today, there's a huge gulf between the two teams in terms of physicality and pace and we just couldn't cope with it. Tough on the lads to be on the end of such a humiliating result but the way football has gone now you need to have good big physical athletic players and they are in short supply in Sligo at the minute, it was the same story with the minors who put in a dogged display but they just couldn't cope physically with Galway and were lucky to get a draw.

Mayo's back line must be a big worry for them given the joy we had with the limited ball we did get but I would suspect they'll tailor their plans for more threatening opponents.

Pat Hughes was about the only player we had up to it physically. Carew's done a good job and we've got some good young players but hard to see us doing anything when we don't have seem to have any big physical players up to the standard in the county. Parsons has really blossomed into a superb midfielder, makes it all the more sickening as he could make a huge difference to this team.

Not looking forward to the Tyrone game, hopefully the lads can regain a bit of respectability.

Can't agree with that bit Sligoman. He sent those lads out today like lambs to the slaughter with no game plan. There was no sweeper, no blanket, no defensive structure nothing to make the game competitive. AOS cleaned an experienced defender like Hanley against Galway and he expected a raw 19 year old who was a midfielder until this year to try to keep AOS quiet. There was no attempt to cut off the supply line. The u21s he managed got a similar hiding against Roscommon in the championship. He got lucky against a cocky, arrogant, injury plagued Roscommon team.
Finally any clown would know Mayo were going to push up aggressively on the Sligo kick outs yet we started with 2 midfielders under 6 feet. Gilmartin may not be the greatest player but we needed him in there to try and make the midfield area a fair contest.
That's it, rant over

No doubt he got it badly wrong today but we showed some good performances toward the end of the league and I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for today.

highorlow

Awesome stuff from the lads today. Congrats to all involved. Big shout out to the new management, they have moved up in everyone's opinion. We might not go the whole way again but by f**k we will die trying!

Fair dues to the Sligo fans for sticking with your team despite the gap. We in Mayo know what that's like and he are a credit to her county for roaring them to the end. Go now and grab a scalp in the next round.m
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Jinxy

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 19, 2015, 11:07:14 PM
Maybe he's matured.

Parsons?
If you were any use you'd be playing.