Connacht Final. Mayo v Sligo. July 19.

Started by moysider, June 22, 2015, 04:29:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

Quote from: galwayman on July 19, 2015, 06:56:41 PM
Our 2 points from play yesterday were both scored by wing backs.
Not good enough from the forwards regardless of the conditions or the amount of bodies in front of goal
I don't remember a more humiliating provincial final in the last 40 years.

In my view Mayo were very unlucky not to beat Kerry last year and would have beaten Donegal in the final.  I expect a Dubs-Mayo semi this year and it would be a cracker.

Aiden O'Shea is some footballer

The one caveat I have against Mayo is that they celebrate winning the Nestor Cup far too much. In the big picture that cup is irrelevant.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Hound on July 19, 2015, 07:32:19 PM
Not good enough from the forwards regardless of the conditions or the amount of bodies in front of goal

In my view Mayo were very unlucky not to beat Kerry last year and would have beaten Donegal in the final.  I expect a Dubs-Mayo semi this year and it would be a cracker.

The one caveat I have against Mayo is that they celebrate winning the Nestor Cup far too much. In the big picture that cup is irrelevant.

Mayo would have beaten Kerry last year only for COC and Aido clashing heads coupled with Cormac Reillys refereeing display! Not sure of us beating Donegal (last year), they would have choked us! So it was all the same losing to a fortunate Kerry really!

Blowitupref

Contest was over after 8 minutes Mayo can only beat what was in front of them and they were Dublin like didn't ease up like most would have at half time. Nightmare stuff from Sligo have to feel sorry for their supporters that traveled.

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Syferus

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 19, 2015, 07:35:37 PM

Mayo would have beaten Kerry last year only for COC and Aido clashing heads coupled with Cormac Reillys refereeing display! Not sure of us beating Donegal (last year), they would have choked us! So it was all the same losing to a fortunate Kerry really!

Mayo were leaving the ground before Alan Dillon lifted the first of the five in 2011. To say they care too much about it is mad tbh. Higgins looked like he was lifting the FBD title the face on him.

Sidney

Dr. Hyde Park comes across horribly on television. There's a terrible bang of poverty, famine, coffins and stones about the place. At Croke Park and Thurles people queue for beer at half-time. You can imagine the spectators in Roscommon queueing at soup kitchens at half-time.

They really should build a car park on it, or something.

Hound

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 19, 2015, 07:35:37 PM

Yeah,impossible to say in fairness. And someone like me saying I honestly believe Mayo would have taken them is of far less value than even a Nestor cup

Syferus

Quote from: Sidney on July 19, 2015, 07:40:04 PM
Dr. Hyde Park comes across horribly on television. There's a terrible bang of poverty, famine, coffins and stones about the place. At Croke Park and Thurles people queue for beer at half-time. You can imagine the spectators in Roscommon queueing at soup kitchens at half-time.

The farmer that grazes it wouldn't be happy.

Rossfan

Quote from: Sidney on July 19, 2015, 07:40:04 PM

If a Q for beer is the nark of some type of well heeled modernity then I'll stick to the gentle past.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

SouthDublinBro

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 19, 2015, 07:24:14 PM
Of course! Why so bitter?  Jez, we know that more than anyone! We no more than Dublin deserve to win an AI. It's a comment from a former Manager. When we win it, we'll have deserved it!

Fair enough. Just a bit sick of the Mayo hype really. Dublin get no credit for dominating Leinster while Mayo are lauded for winning against even softer competition.

giveballaghback

Massive credit to Dublin for winning the Leinster championship, I think we should drop everything else and talk about this. Such rubbish.
Mayo were brilliant today, are going route one this year and it  suits them. I really think they can go all the way this time and bring the sam back to Connacht, if they do they will be hard to listen to but most Rossies will be behind them 100%

Rossfan

I won't be.
However I won't shout too hard against them.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: giveballaghback on July 19, 2015, 08:19:26 PM
Massive credit to Dublin for winning the Leinster championship, I think we should drop everything else and talk about this. Such rubbish.
Mayo were brilliant today, are going route one this year and it  suits them. I really think they can go all the way this time and bring the sam back to Connacht, if they do they will be hard to listen to but most Rossies will be behind them 100%

Connacht is Connacht.

A potential Donegal then Dublin route to the AI will tell us if this year's team are a step above the last few years. I don't put much stock in what happened today.

sligoman

Mayo were outstanding today, there's a huge gulf between the two teams in terms of physicality and pace and we just couldn't cope with it. Tough on the lads to be on the end of such a humiliating result but the way football has gone now you need to have good big physical athletic players and they are in short supply in Sligo at the minute, it was the same story with the minors who put in a dogged display but they just couldn't cope physically with Galway and were lucky to get a draw.

Mayo's back line must be a big worry for them given the joy we had with the limited ball we did get but I would suspect they'll tailor their plans for more threatening opponents.

Pat Hughes was about the only player we had up to it physically. Carew's done a good job and we've got some good young players but hard to see us doing anything when we don't have seem to have any big physical players up to the standard in the county. Parsons has really blossomed into a superb midfielder, makes it all the more sickening as he could make a huge difference to this team.

Not looking forward to the Tyrone game, hopefully the lads can regain a bit of respectability.

Jell 0 Biafra

If Mayo are to win it this year, they'll most likely have to go through Donegal, Dublin and Kerry.

Not exactly a soft all-Ireland.

screenexile

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on July 19, 2015, 08:50:21 PM
If Mayo are to win it this year, they'll most likely have to go through Donegal, Dublin and Kerry.

Not exactly a soft all-Ireland.

They won't get through all 3 of those!