Connacht Final. Mayo v Sligo. July 19.

Started by moysider, June 22, 2015, 04:29:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mano

Costello was living and working around Sligo and transferred to the Coolera/Strandhill club making him eligible to represent Sligo.
James Kilcullen transferred to play for Sligo under the parentage rule which the weaker counties can avail of. Both his parents are from west of the county, Mickey Kearins is his uncle.

Both scenarios are completely different from the situation where players have to represent the County the GAA club is affiliated with even though the people in that catchment area live in another county. With regard to Parsons he was brought up and lives just inside the Mayo border in Sligo but for some reason he went and played with Charlestown instead of his own club of Curry.

ballinaman

Quote from: Syferus on June 24, 2015, 01:49:03 PM
This idea being perpetuated by some Mayo posters here (most of whom I think are very good and fair posters) that Mayo somehow have no influence on the location of this final despite it being the dominant player in the Connacht Council itself and rumours of negotiations between the counties to come to an arrangement is hard to swallow. I know you're trying to save face because it looks bad, but c'mon man.

It's obviously worth a few pound to the town of Castlebar so I'm not surprised the county board are involved in some negotiations. It would be remiss of them if they didn't. It'll be the CC's call at them end of the day though.

Quote from: Mano on June 24, 2015, 01:54:32 PM
With regard to Parsons he was brought up and lives just inside the Mayo border in Sligo but for some reason he went and played with Charlestown instead of his own club of Curry.
Some reason which would be down to himself. Met the lad a good few times, absolute gent.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Mano on June 24, 2015, 01:54:32 PM
Costello was living and working around Sligo and transferred to the Coolera/Strandhill club making him eligible to represent Sligo.
James Kilcullen transferred to play for Sligo under the parentage rule which the weaker counties can avail of. Both his parents are from west of the county, Mickey Kearins is his uncle.

Both scenarios are completely different from the situation where players have to represent the County the GAA club is affiliated with even though the people in that catchment area live in another county. With regard to Parsons he was brought up and lives just inside the Mayo border in Sligo but for some reason he went and played with Charlestown instead of his own club of Curry.

Also - it was clear Mayo didn't want Costello or Kilcullen.

macdanger2

Of course Mayo CB are lobbying for it to be in Mayo, why wouldn't they ffs?? They want what's best for Mayo football and it's up to their Sligo counterparts to want the best for Sligo football

Goin Down

Remember This.

Syferus

Quote from: Goin Down on June 24, 2015, 02:29:28 PM
Connacht Telegraph reporting the Hyde is being considered but would have a cut capacity of 20,000

http://www.con-telegraph.ie/news/roundup/articles/2015/06/24/4038510-connaught-final-set-for-hyde-park/

But we're wondering about the 'Connacht' final.. it would be some about-face if the Connacht Council caved on the Hyde.

Rossfan

It's approved for 18,750(?) but can hold up to 30,000. So couldn't take much work to bring it to 20,000 one would think..
Is the main problem the small no of exits/steps from the big terrace ?.
Otherwise it's hard to see where safety is compromised as the Stadium is set in the middles of a great big field with loads of space behind the Stand and the main terrace.
Apart from getting some €s in ground rent and to the Town businesses I doubt if we'll have any other interest on the day as I'm told we're most unlikely to make the Minor final.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Rossfan on June 24, 2015, 03:12:42 PM
It's approved for 18,750(?) but can hold up to 30,000. So couldn't take much work to bring it to 20,000 one would think..
Otherwise it's hard to see where safety is compromised as the Stadium is set in the middles of a great big field with loads of space behind the Stand and the main terrace.
Apart from getting some €s in ground rent and to the Town businesses I doubt if we'll have any other interest on the day as I'm told we're most unlikely to make the Minor final[/b].
With Sligo and Leitrim on the same side of the draw I find that comment very surprising tbh, given ye beat us and Mayo in the CML, Not sure what to make of 20,000 in the Hyde that means a lot of empty spaces, that Health and safety report is a load of bollox and overkill imo 25,000 would be safe enough
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Syferus

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 24, 2015, 03:23:22 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on June 24, 2015, 03:12:42 PM
Apart from getting some €s in ground rent and to the Town businesses I doubt if we'll have any other interest on the day as I'm told we're most unlikely to make the Minor final.
With Sligo and Leitrim on the same side of the draw I find that comment very surprising tbh, given ye beat us and Mayo in the CML, Not sure what to make of 20,000 in the Hyde that means a lot of empty spaces, that Health and safety report is a load of bollox and overkill imo 25,000 would be safe enough

Rossfan likes to rubbish the minor and U16 teams. I think he's due to start doing it to the U21s from January too.

The Connacht minor championship is wide open this year. Leitrim have beaten us at U16 and minor with this year's team but we did beat Sligo and Mayo in the league and those two won it and were runners up respectively. We won't be turning up to make up the numbers no more than Sligo were on Saturday evening.

SLIGONIAN

Also I seen Oharas comments re the Venue, he basically states that 2.5 hrs to Salthill and 1 hr to castlebar, no brainer has to be castlebar into the lions den, what goes on his head sometimes?
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

sligoman

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 24, 2015, 03:36:05 PM
Also I seen Oharas comments re the Venue, he basically states that 2.5 hrs to Salthill and 1 hr to castlebar, no brainer has to be castlebar into the lions den, what goes on his head sometimes?

Rossfan

Quote from: Syferus on June 24, 2015, 03:25:35 PM

Rossfan likes to rubbish the minor and U16 teams. .
Well we've certainly gone backwards with the last few squads. :-\ esp the U16s. I hope it's just lack of numbers but fear penny pinching across the underage set up across the board has a lot to answer for.
I'll be very pleasantly surprised if we make this year's Connacht Minor Final.

P.S Brilliant Sligoman. ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Mano

Very disrespectful Sligoman. Whatever you think of the man on a personal level he was a legend for Sligo GAA for nearly 20 years.

Syferus

Quote from: Mano on June 24, 2015, 04:26:02 PM
Very disrespectful Sligoman. Whatever you think of the man on a personal level he was a legend for Sligo GAA for nearly 20 years.

Ah c'mon. No one is denying he was a great player. Just like Cake, if you've got a big mouth you've got to take the slaps. I'm sure O'Hara understands that as well as anyone.

sligoman

Ah, I didn't mean it to be disrespectful. Behind it all O'Hara is one of those guys who doesn't really care what people think about him and I don't think he really takes himself that seriously away from the pitch. I've nothing but the height of respect for what he's given to Sligo football, it's just a small joke about how he can be perceived.