Now no economic whatsover reason to maintain partition

Started by T Fearon, April 24, 2007, 12:21:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Man Marker

BC you have just taken a whipping, you are a whipping boy :D :D and from a lunatic also :D

Thanx lads, I have had a good laugh today :D :D

ziggysego

EG, I'll just quote myself, if that's ok.

Quote from: ziggysego on April 24, 2007, 01:37:32 PM
Unionist have long admitted, it isn't about the economic, it's about the National Identity. Much the same way as we still wanted a United Ireland when the Northern economy was stronger than the South, abeit by British handouts.

;)
Testing Accessibility

fearglasmor

The case for a united ireland is stronger now than it has been for almost a hundred years.

But not the traditional form of banana republic that we all know and love to sing about.
It is very clear now that we should negotiate a return to the united kingdom"s" of britain and ireland
Find the decendant of the last high king and ask for the return of the irish crown jewels.
A develoved all ireland parliament, single police force, military, common currency and interest rates with the kingdom of britain.
Partiition wiped away and a single soccerball team.

Jebus isn't it obvious.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Evil Genius on November 23, 2010, 04:00:50 PM
Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on November 23, 2010, 02:51:56 PM
Evil Genius
does your boss know that you have so little to do?  ;D
One of the (small) consolations of being self-employed is that I love my boss and he loves me.  ;)
Is your business going well,in these terrible times EG?
if so, we may have a job for you down south,as head of the country  ;)

Evil Genius

Quote from: ziggysego on November 23, 2010, 04:04:55 PM
EG, I'll just quote myself, if that's ok.

Quote from: ziggysego on April 24, 2007, 01:37:32 PM
Unionist have long admitted, it isn't about the economic, it's about the National Identity. Much the same way as we still wanted a United Ireland when the Northern economy was stronger than the South, abeit by British handouts.

;)
By all means, Ziggy.

For I happen to agree with you when you argue that National Identity is actually a more important factor than economic self-interest.

And on the basis that "it takes two to tango", I am enormously encouraged by the fact that even when the Celtic Tiger was roaring loudest, there was no more preceptible movement towards a UI in the Republic, than there was any significant lessening of Unionist attachment to the UK in NI.

But even if we should both be wrong, and it really is  "the economy, stupid", now that the Irish economy is suffering more than that of the UK (relatively, at least), then there is much less imperative on that score, too.
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Banana Man

to be honest EG, that has cheered me up on a dark day for Ireland. If ya didn't laugh you would cry.

As someone said though that was 3 years ago, it was all crystal ball stuff, just like it is now, I just hope and pray this is the worst of it and no-one comes back in a few years and quotes me now saying how wrong I was when I felt it couldn't get any worse.

Fact is that, Europe, 'the west' etc never mind the UK and Ireland is a house of cards and we could all be singing for our supper in the forseeable if one topples. Scary times...  :(

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Evil Genius on November 23, 2010, 03:36:26 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on November 23, 2010, 02:46:40 PM
Jeez you've little to be at.  As you said when I posted what I posted it was 3 and a half years ago.  What I posted was correct at the time and to be honest was the prevailing belief among many commentators.  The world has taken a massive change since then and there is no doubt about that.
"I Was Correct at the Time" - sounds like FF's Epitaph  ;)

Anyhow, we can all be forgiven for posting crap at one time or another.

But "taking the bait" (replying to my post) and thereby drawing more peoples' attention to your original error is priceless, just priceless.  :D

Late Edit: I've just re-read your post # 23 (it get's funnier every time, btw) and in it you said: "House prices will continue to grow".

Still contend that you were "correct at the time"?  :D

Sure f**k it the crystal ball wasn't working well and I got it wrong, shot me with the rest of them.  I must go and trail through your posts and all the old threads to see what you got right and you got wrong...no, wait ,I have a life!

Evil Genius

Quote from: fearglasmor on November 23, 2010, 04:14:00 PM
The case for a united ireland is stronger now than it has been for almost a hundred years.

But not the traditional form of banana republic that we all know and love to sing about.
It is very clear now that we should negotiate a return to the united kingdom"s" of britain and ireland
Find the decendant of the last high king and ask for the return of the irish crown jewels.
A develoved all ireland parliament, single police force, military, common currency and interest rates with the kingdom of britain.
Partiition wiped away and a single soccerball team.

Jebus isn't it obvious.
D'ya know, I was right with you, fgm, until your very last point (bold), but I'm afraid some things are just too precious to give up.  ;)

Unless, of course, you meant that the (FAI) "splitters" should admit their mistake, seek forgiveness and humbly ask to be readmitted to the IFA - "Original and Best". That way, OWC could continue as we are, with ROI's best 2 or 3 players recruited for bench duty at Windsor and who knows, maybe even Stephen Ireland would come back into the fold? (As for Darron Gibson, he could always be pressed into serving up the oranges at half time; with that lemon puss of his, he looks like he's familiar with citrus fruit).

Beyond that, there's certainly a lot to be going on with in your suggestion, though I'm not so sure about replacing the German British Monarchy with something more home-grown in Ireland.  If nothing else, we would miss out on participating fully in Willie and Kate's nuptials next year and I do love a good extra Public Holiday Royal Wedding.

Perhaps we could just keep the one Monarchy for the two islands? It would be an appropriate cost-cutting measure in these austere times and not even the Shinners could really object, seeing as no less a personage as their founder, Arthur Griffith, was highly receptive to the idea:

"The fundamental principles on which Sinn Féin was founded were outlined in an article published in 1904 by Griffith called The Resurrection of Hungary, in which, noting how in 1867 Hungary went from being part of the Austrian Empire to a separate co-equal kingdom in Austria-Hungary. Though not a monarchist himself, Griffith advocated such an approach for the Anglo-Irish relationship, namely that Ireland should become a separate kingdom alongside Great Britain, the two forming a dual monarchy with a shared monarch but separate governments, as it was thought this solution would be more palatable to the British. This was similar to the policy of Henry Grattan a century earlier" 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Griffith
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Evil Genius

Quote from: Banana Man on November 23, 2010, 04:47:12 PM
to be honest EG, that has cheered me up on a dark day for Ireland. If ya didn't laugh you would cry.

As someone said though that was 3 years ago, it was all crystal ball stuff, just like it is now, I just hope and pray this is the worst of it and no-one comes back in a few years and quotes me now saying how wrong I was when I felt it couldn't get any worse.

Fact is that, Europe, 'the west' etc never mind the UK and Ireland is a house of cards and we could all be singing for our supper in the forseeable if one topples. Scary times...  :(
Indeed.  :(
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Evil Genius

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on November 23, 2010, 04:49:33 PMSure f**k it the crystal ball wasn't working well and I got it wrong, shot me with the rest of them.
As I freely acknowledged earlier, I'm sure I've posted as much crap on here as anyone.
But the difference between you and me is that whenever somebody points out my errors, I avoid drawing attention to them by replying to the offending post. Repeatedly.  :D

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on November 23, 2010, 04:49:33 PMI must go and trail through your posts and all the old threads to see what you got right and you got wrong
Be my guest - you might learn something!  ;)

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on November 23, 2010, 04:49:33 PM...no, wait ,I have a life!
Aye, if your definition of "a life" is giving everyone else a good laugh!  ;D

"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Puckoon

Evil Genius
One of the (small) consolations of being self-employed is that I love my boss and he loves me.  ;)

How frequently, over such threads as this?

ziggysego

Evil Genius

Jason Manford?
Testing Accessibility

Rossfan

Find the decendant of the last high king .

You'll find him in Clonalis House , just outside Castlerea ... direct descendant of Ruairi O Conchubhair  ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

fearglasmor

Quote from: Rossfan on November 23, 2010, 06:32:09 PM
Find the decendant of the last high king .

You'll find him in Clonalis House , just outside Castlerea ... direct descendant of Ruairi O Conchubhair  ;)

Funny enough Rossfan, my neighbour is directly related, he could be the man for the job.

All joking aside.........................no.

Evil Genius

Quote from: Puckoon on November 23, 2010, 05:51:08 PM
Evil Genius

How frequently over such threads as this?
Only the once  ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX1I4hRojWk
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"