Cavan v Roscommon

Started by Shrewdness, June 22, 2015, 09:01:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itchy

You were in control for the 2nd half. You were 1 pt up at half time despite having a strong breeze. Stop overplaying your performance, ye deserved your win no doubt but total domination it was not

sligoman

Quote from: giveballaghback on July 05, 2015, 08:43:08 PM
I have never been over optimistic about ros football on this or any other forum but when rubbish is being put out there i will challenge it at all times, talking about cavan missing 2 players when ros were missing the spine of our team is some joke, the most thing i would take from that game is that ros were in control from start to finish, we created many chances and took a good amount of them, in case some of the posters dont know the idea of the game is to score more than the other team and guess what if you do it does not matter what you concede!

I think you're getting ahead of yourself. Well done on the win but the way you're going on is the same type of bull we've had to listen to about Roscommon in recent years. You left the door open for Cavan until very late on in the game despite being the better team. It will take a much improved performance when you meet the bigger teams.

Very unlike Cavan to be so open from what I've seen of them in recent years. I would also go as far to say that Killian Clarke would be more vital to Cavan than any one player would be to Roscommon, particularly one forward who never seems to do it in the Championship.

rodney trotter

Cavan have been open enough all year - wasn't like it was a once off yesterday. Liam McHale came in to bring a more attacking game. Peter Donnelly had been with Cavan up till this year and gave the team a solid defensive shape.

.Joe Brolly and his black death bollox talk gave the impression that Cavan always played like that.

Captain Obvious

It was only defensively that Cavan were poor yesterday, did alright in midfield and scoring 1-16 would be enough to win most games. In the qualifiers Cavan only scored 0-5 against Roscommon last year that would have been a much worse performance.

Sleater

Terry Hyland reminds me of what Banty McEneaney did for Monaghan. A local man with fierce pride in the jersey who re-invigorates the team and raised expectations but ultimately fell short. Hyland did raise the bar albeit it was very low in the first place. That success Mal O'Rourke brought to Monaghan was fused together by the memories of bitter defeats and the renewed sense of optimism which a he brought to the squad. Cavan have the playing talent available but require a new manager to pull them all in the same direction. Under 21 success doesn't usually translate to senior success that quickly. There needs to be a core of older more experienced players, leaders to be there too.

upmonaghansayswe

Quote from: Sleater on July 06, 2015, 09:30:31 AM
Terry Hyland reminds me of what Banty McEneaney did for Monaghan. A local man with fierce pride in the jersey who re-invigorates the team and raised expectations but ultimately fell short. Hyland did raise the bar albeit it was very low in the first place. That success Mal O'Rourke brought to Monaghan was fused together by the memories of bitter defeats and the renewed sense of optimism which a he brought to the squad. Cavan have the playing talent available but require a new manager to pull them all in the same direction. Under 21 success doesn't usually translate to senior success that quickly. There needs to be a core of older more experienced players, leaders to be there too.

Except for the two Ulster finals, promoting and keeping us in Division 1 and actually being a threat to Kerry in Croke Park.

Blue in hope

in the video Syferus has put up it conveniently only shows after Hanley went over to no 6 and pushing him  to try get a reaction as he was already on a yellow card. Instead stupidly Corr took the bait and ran towards Hanley who took him and swung him around before Corr threw a punch. Corr had to go and Hanley should have got a card as well.This should have been dealt with before half time. The official's were wired up TV clearly shows the ref talk on his earpiece before Reilly took the free kick. It does leave the question what happened at half time ? Who put pressure on? Did the officials watch it in TV in the Refs Room? Why did they not deal with the Roscommon player?

Giveballaghback  you seem to see all Corr was allegedly doing in the first half but you missed he was wearing that bandage before the throw in the same bandage that you " the bandage on the leg was like something a child would put on a doll," To miss that all through the first half really means you must have we looking at someone else.

Hardy

Why did they not deal with the injury-feigning?

twohands!!!

Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 05, 2015, 10:25:22 PM
It was only defensively that Cavan were poor yesterday, did alright in midfield and scoring 1-16 would be enough to win most games. In the qualifiers Cavan only scored 0-5 against Roscommon last year that would have been a much worse performance.

The starting Cavan forwards only accounted for 1-5 of that 1-16 total.

theyellowbus

Good squad performance against a side who its very hard to figure out where they are at the moment.
Our forwards were really up for this game and some great scores were taken.
Initially thought smith had over carried but looked at the recording yesterday morning and it seemed fine.
Would be worried about the amount of possession we conceded to Cavan in the second half as well as the way we left them in it up until the 2nd goal.
Some of the wayward passing and lethargic play which occurred against Sligo also rose its head at times.
Thought Kilbride and Shine were brilliant at times and were my MOTM candidates with slight preference for Shine.Great ploy from the management using him as a sweeper and it worked.
Keenan,Collins,C Daly,Harney,Smith,Cregg and C Murtagh also did well.
S McDermott and K Higgins were poor enough i thought but in fairness to Higgins it was his first game back so hopefully that will have brought him on.
Hats off too management for picking the pieces up after Sligo game and getting this win but loads of work to do yet and some major improvements needed in certain areas if we are to even dream of troubling a top 6 side.
Thought Cavan were poor for large spells of the game bar the last ten mins of the first half.Tactics were to hit Argue but that never seemed to work mostly through the delivery in to him.
They have some nice footballers but seemed to be disjointed and playing among themselves which certainly wasn't the case against Monaghan.
Sending off was correct as it was a clear punch and from what i seen at half time there was a little conference among the officials so any outside influence as suggested seems nonsensical.

Jinxy

Argue doesn't seem to have great hands for a big man.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Jinxy on July 06, 2015, 12:43:50 PM
Argue doesn't seem to have great hands for a big man.

He didn't look like a footballer at all, so much of Cavan's tactics appeared to revolve around him. He was way out of his depth.

INDIANA

they don't have the forwards to win anything

manfromdelmonte

An old coach of mine always said defences win games, forwards decide by how much.

Itchy

Quote from: INDIANA on July 06, 2015, 10:47:21 PM

they don't have the forwards to win anything

True. They don't have millions of euro donated for free and the ability to play all their games at home either which would also be a big help.