Cavan v Roscommon

Started by Shrewdness, June 22, 2015, 09:01:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tommysmith

Quote from: Itchy on July 07, 2015, 07:19:54 AM
Quote from: INDIANA on July 06, 2015, 10:47:21 PM
Quote from: Sleater on July 06, 2015, 09:30:31 AM
Terry Hyland reminds me of what Banty McEneaney did for Monaghan. A local man with fierce pride in the jersey who re-invigorates the team and raised expectations but ultimately fell short. Hyland did raise the bar albeit it was very low in the first place. That success Mal O'Rourke brought to Monaghan was fused together by the memories of bitter defeats and the renewed sense of optimism which a he brought to the squad. Cavan have the playing talent available but require a new manager to pull them all in the same direction. Under 21 success doesn't usually translate to senior success that quickly. There needs to be a core of older more experienced players, leaders to be there too.

they don't have the forwards to win anything

True. They don't have millions of euro donated for free and the ability to play all their games at home either which would also be a big help.

Have you not noticed Cavans home form this year compared to away.

Do you actually thing it would be a help?

Jinxy

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on July 06, 2015, 11:36:54 PM
An old coach of mine always said defences win games, forwards decide by how much.

I think it was Sun Tzu that said that originally.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: Jinxy on July 07, 2015, 09:24:37 AM
An old coach of mine always said defences win games, forwards decide by how much.

I always took the Sun Tzu quote to mean the opposite, ie 'if you don't attack, you can't win'

QuoteInvincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack.
Hasta la victoria siempre

Jinxy

Cut his teeth managing the Wu Slashers 2nd team.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on July 07, 2015, 09:35:43 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on July 07, 2015, 09:24:37 AM

I always took the Sun Tzu quote to mean the opposite, ie 'if you don't attack, you can't win'

QuoteInvincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack.
Sun Tzu?
Didn't know the auld coach was so enlightened.

Look at most All Ireland winners - built on very tight and organised defence - Donegal, Kerry, Kilkenny

Itchy

Quote from: tommysmith on July 07, 2015, 07:40:23 AM
Terry Hyland reminds me of what Banty McEneaney did for Monaghan. A local man with fierce pride in the jersey who re-invigorates the team and raised expectations but ultimately fell short. Hyland did raise the bar albeit it was very low in the first place. That success Mal O'Rourke brought to Monaghan was fused together by the memories of bitter defeats and the renewed sense of optimism which a he brought to the squad. Cavan have the playing talent available but require a new manager to pull them all in the same direction. Under 21 success doesn't usually translate to senior success that quickly. There needs to be a core of older more experienced players, leaders to be there too.

True. They don't have millions of euro donated for free and the ability to play all their games at home either which would also be a big help.

Fair point but millions of euro would certainly help

babarino

Quote from: Itchy on July 07, 2015, 07:17:34 PM
Quote from: tommysmith on July 07, 2015, 07:40:23 AM

Fair point but millions of euro would certainly help
Corrected already on the home advantage.
Where are you getting the millions of euro from?
Are Kingspan not stumping up, or wha?