Cavan v Roscommon

Started by Shrewdness, June 22, 2015, 09:01:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BluestackBoy

Quote from: Aaron Boone on July 04, 2015, 09:23:47 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on July 04, 2015, 09:10:41 PM
Roscommon were great value at 5/1 before tonight's game to reach the quarters , I bet they'll be around 2/1 now.
Further than quarters is realistic. Nice & impressive tonight.
To get further than the quarters Roscommon will have to beat one of the provincial champions.

On the evidence of today they are a long way short of that.
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

larryin89

Quote from: BluestackBoy on July 04, 2015, 10:24:52 PM
Quote from: Aaron Boone on July 04, 2015, 09:23:47 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on July 04, 2015, 09:10:41 PM
Roscommon were great value at 5/1 before tonight's game to reach the quarters , I bet they'll be around 2/1 now.
Further than quarters is realistic. Nice & impressive tonight.
To get further than the quarters Roscommon will have to beat one of the provincial champions.

On the evidence of today they are a long way short of that.

I wouldn't go by today , they do look a bit tired probably from too much football for some of them but they have potential. (It pains me to say that believe me) Evans not the man to bring them on IMO but confidence building through a couple of wins will do them young bucks a power of good .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

CC1

Quote from: Sea The Stars on July 04, 2015, 07:16:02 PM
Not going to dispute the red card or the fact that justice was served but what exactly is within the referee's remit in that situation? He missed the incident at the time as did all the officials and in fact they allowed play continue on for a period after it.

Clearly it was brought to the official's attention at the break and they have the benefit of TV replays but then you're in the territory of reviewing every incident in the whole half. Did they? Clearly not.

I know players like Martin Penrose and Brendan Bugler have been sent off for incidents after the half-time whistle had been blown but as far as I can recall this is a whole new precedent.
It's an interesting one alright, was the Roscommon player retrospectively given a yellow card after the break by any chance? If not, I'd like to know why not?
"Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."

Hound

Not going to dispute the red card or the fact that justice was served but what exactly is within the referee's remit in that situation? He missed the incident at the time as did all the officials and in fact they allowed play continue on for a period after it.

Clearly it was brought to the official's attention at the break and they have the benefit of TV replays but then you're in the territory of reviewing every incident in the whole half. Did they? Clearly not.

I know players like Martin Penrose and Brendan Bugler have been sent off for incidents after the half-time whistle had been blown but as far as I can recall this is a whole new precedent.
I can't see how it was within the rules to send him off so long after the incident occurred. Very different to the Penrose incident.
One thing for sure, if the game wasn't covered live, there would have been no red card given no official saw what happened
Grounds for a Cavan appeal?

cavanmaniac

Wrt Syferus point about Roscommon neutralising Argue,  I'd advise not to get too carried away.  Last night and against Monaghan too there was almost zero winnable ball put into him.  Off the top of my head,  last night he got fouled under one dropping ball early on,  failed to control a lower pass into his chest during a later attack in the same half  and thereafter there was maybe one solitary ball of a contestable aerial nature served up to him.
I'm commenting more on the utterly bereft Cavan attacking play than Ross' limitations here.  Well done on the win.

Rossfan

Ah for fcuk sake.....appeal me rear end that a man was sent off for hitting a 20 year old a box in the head. Pity the Connacht Council hadn't the cojones to investigate the thug who fractured Harney's jaw in London. >:(
Great hearted performance today. So many lads stood up to be counted.
We may never win Sam again but we proved the Sligo nonsense was a one off.
We have a long way to go before we challenge for real honours, we have a lot to learn,but days like today with the bond between supporters and players etc is why we love football and tribalism and pride in where we come from and all that.
Onwards upwards the best is still to come and Eamon O' Hara is a plonker.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on July 05, 2015, 02:15:08 AM
Ah for fcuk sake.....appeal me rear end that a man was sent off for hitting a 20 year old a box in the head. Pity the Connacht Council hadn't the cojones to investigate the thug who fractured Harney's jaw in London. >:(
Great hearted performance today. So many lads stood up to be counted.
We may never win Sam again but we proved the Sligo nonsense was a one off.
We have a long way to go before we challenge for real honours, we have a lot to learn,but days like today with the bond between supporters and players etc is why we love football and tribalism and pride in where we come from and all that.
Onwards upwards the best is still to come and Eamon O' Hara is a plonker.

For a write-off Donie Shine done well..

weareros

Quote from: Hound on July 05, 2015, 12:26:41 AM

I can't see how it was within the rules to send him off so long after the incident occurred. Very different to the Penrose incident.
One thing for sure, if the game wasn't covered live, there would have been no red card given no official saw what happened

The first time the ball went out of play after incident occurred (Cavan wide free), ref blew for half time. The red card was still within the first stop of play and beginning of first half before play resumed. Only thing that made it seem a long time afterwards was the half time break. That said, nothing I've ever seen before. I think Cavan further antagonised the ref by trying to play a fast one.

Tremendous performance by Roscommon considering the injury plight and giving a goal up less than a minute after throw-in. Thought Donie Shine and David Keenan (who says those 2006 minors will never amount to anything) showed great leadership. We are still rough around the edges and concede far too much (credit so Cavan - 1-16 is good scoring), but plenty of reasons to be optimistic. I hope this result puts a sock in those second rate hacks who write for the Roscommon People (you know who you are) and those ex-county footballers -who were great footballers - but utter bollockes when they put pen to paper and who should not be let next or near Twitter. Onwards. We are Ros.

Hound

Quote from: weareros on July 05, 2015, 03:58:24 AM

The first time the ball went out of play after incident occurred (Cavan wide free), ref blew for half time. The red card was still within the first stop of play and beginning of first half before play resumed. Only thing that made it seem a long time afterwards was the half time break. That said, nothing I've ever seen before.

Seemed longer than that to me, but if that's the case then its fair enough.
Although you would wonder why he didnt call him over and send him off then at the first stop in play, and then blow for HT after issuing the card.

More precedent for encouraging lads to hit the deck when they do get a clip of any sort.

Rossfan

Well said weareros re the Ros People hacks.
I've stopped picking it up as the GAA stuff would annoy yer arse.
I saw one of them leaving after the game yesterday a d to say his puss was sour would be an understatement!!!!!
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Itchy

Quote from: hardstation on July 05, 2015, 10:22:08 AM
I can't believe that Cavan thought they might get away with it by subbing him!!

He deserved to be sent off. Referee and officials got it spot on.

He deserved red for what he done but the referee has crossed a line as I've no doubt external influence other than his officials alerted him to the incident whether it was TV or someone texting him. Also, he refused to allow a Cavan sub. What if Corr had been subbed just before HT and after the incident? My gut feeling is that he was so intent in getting his call right he used improper methods to do it. Did he check all his other decisions in the 1st half I wonder

All that being said Cavan were dire, clueless on the line and toothless up front and I think Ros would have won even if Cavan kept 15 on. Anyone who thinks Mackey was good knows nothing about football, he was lazy and arrogant and for me contributed no work rate- we played with 13 in 2nd half. Why Cavan didn't revert to a very defensive game plan l have no idea. Why was Martin Reilly taking 45s instead of Galligan, ridiculous! Sad day for Cavan, big big blow mentally and a sad end to hyland reign I expect. Cavan will need to choose next manager very carefully.

Good luck to Ros, a team with scoring power must be respected but your inability to contest on kick outs could come back and bite you against better opposition.

LCohen

During the HT break one of the RTE pundits said that one of the umpires had signalled for the refs attention after the incident. Seems to me that the ref crossed no line and no rules were broken.

Apparently the Cavan management were aware of the discussion between the umpire and the ref as they left the field. Probably explains the stunt they attempted.

And a man that deserved to get sent off was sent off. Nothing to see here. Jog on (actually that would do as a match report on this one)

Syferus

Quote from: LCohen on July 05, 2015, 11:10:04 AM
During the HT break one of the RTE pundits said that one of the umpires had signalled for the refs attention after the incident. Seems to me that the ref crossed no line and no rules were broken.

Apparently the Cavan management were aware of the discussion between the umpire and the ref as they left the field. Probably explains the stunt they attempted.

And a man that deserved to get sent off was sent off. Nothing to see here. Jog on (actually that would do as a match report on this one)

That makes Hyland's denial about not knowing what happened on Shannonside after the match look really bad.

http://www.shannonside.ie/sport/roscommon-3-17-cavan-1-16/

Jinxy

Re the sending off, I thought it was only within the ref's power to give a red after half-time if the incident had occurred after the whistle being blown to end the first half.
The classic tunnel bust-up scenario basically.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Syferus

Quote from: Hound on July 05, 2015, 10:33:48 AM
Quote from: weareros on July 05, 2015, 03:58:24 AM

The first time the ball went out of play after incident occurred (Cavan wide free), ref blew for half time. The red card was still within the first stop of play and beginning of first half before play resumed. Only thing that made it seem a long time afterwards was the half time break. That said, nothing I've ever seen before.

Seemed longer than that to me, but if that's the case then its fair enough.
Although you would wonder why he didnt call him over and send him off then at the first stop in play, and then blow for HT after issuing the card.

More precedent for encouraging lads to hit the deck when they do get a clip of any sort.

You're some man if you can take a rabbit punch to the back of the head and shrug it off!