Gerry McEntee puts Art McRory back in his box

Started by Jinxy, May 31, 2015, 03:05:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

http://www.hoganstand.com/Meath/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=238285

Gerry McEntee has refuted claims made by former Tyrone manager Art McRory that the Meath team of the 1990s indulged in sledging.

In a strongly-worded letter to the Sunday Independent, the legendary midfielder and well-known surgeon hit back at claims made by McRory in last week's edition of the newspaper that Meath had a simple target of  "targeting the top player on the other team and everyone within 20 metres of him would hit him with everything they had".

McEntee wrote: "It is not only factually incorrect, but an insult to the intelligence and integrity of Sean Boylan, a man that I never once heard encourage any form of physical or verbal intimidation in the 10 years I had the privilege of playing under his guidance.

"I can guarantee that all the players under his stewardship at national and international level could put their hands on their heart and say likewise."

The Nobber man added: "It seems that Art has never got over Tyrone's 1996 All-Ireland semi-final defeat on his watch, and the late tackle that John McDermott put in on Peter Canavan which was exactly that, a late tackle, but was dealt with by the referee at the time as he saw fit.

"I am sure that there are a number of teams or individuals who 'suffered' at the hands of Tyrone during their hard-earned and well deserved three All-Irelands, but I hope they will have got over it 20 years later.

"As for his view that he knows 'of no manager who would . . . tolerate it' (sledging), let's wait and see how the Tyrone minor management, which includes Ryan McMenamin, a self-proclaimed 'sledger', deal with the claim by Donegal's Declan Bonner that their captain Michael Carroll was subjected to vile verbal abuse by two Tyrone minor players. . . That's the second allegation of verbal abuse made against a Tyrone underage team in the past month."
If you were any use you'd be playing.

From the Bunker

That Meath team played tough and in turn took some tough stuff without complaining! They were no Angels and did what ever they had to do to win. They had some fabulous players and no matter how much they were accused of the Dark Arts they would not have won what they did without skill, guile and determination. But to make Boylan look like an innocent bystander is a bit of a Joke. He played the media well (holding the kids in his arms after controversial games) and fair play to him. Mayo players will tell you of various personal comments that were said to them in the 2 games in 1996. One thing for sure the Meath researchers had done their homework. There is no rules against what Meath did and to be fair Mayo showed their weakness taking the Bate and ultimately paid the price (both as losing the final and looking bad losers afterwards).

StGallsGAA

There you go.  McEntee has 'proven' Meath in the 90s weren't a dirty shower...  ::)

macdanger2

When did meath become a shower of whingers?

Jinxy

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 31, 2015, 03:20:22 PM
That Meath team played tough and in turn took some tough stuff without complaining! They were no Angels and did what ever they had to do to win. They had some fabulous players and no matter how much they were accused of the Dark Arts they would not have won what they did without skill, guile and determination. But to make Boylan look like an innocent bystander is a bit of a Joke. He played the media well (holding the kids in his arms after controversial games) and fair play to him. Mayo players will tell you of various personal comments that were said to them in the 2 games in 1996. One thing for sure the Meath researchers had done their homework. There is no rules against what Meath did and to be fair Mayo showed their weakness taking the Bate and ultimately paid the price (both as losing the final and looking bad losers afterwards).

Some of them will also tell you that the things which were supposed to have been said to them were never said to them at all.
Again, lads on barstools doing the damage.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Jinxy on May 31, 2015, 03:32:38 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on May 31, 2015, 03:20:22 PM

Some of them will also tell you that the things which were supposed to have been said to them were never said to them at all.
Again, lads on barstools doing the damage.

Probably, as Hitler said the greater the lie the more people are willing to believe it! But there is no smoke without fire. Meath had a habit of ruffling a lot of feathers during that period. Every team they came up against can't be telling lies? Can they? Or are Meath the only ones telling the truth? We'll never know. Either way it is sort of character for a former Meath player to get involved in this sort of stuff.

Jinxy

Art McCrory is adopting the usual Tyrone defence of 'Meath and other teams were too rough, therefore nobody should say anything to us about being sly, dishonourable mouthpieces'.

Wildweasel74

Derry played Meath alot through the 90`s, nearly all their games were hard, but never an insult was spoken, the Meath team of the late 80`straight through the 90`s was a very hard team, i never thought them dirty.

rrhf

From the Bunker

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 31, 2015, 03:50:26 PM
Derry played Meath alot through the 90`s, nearly all their games were hard, but never an insult was spoken, the Meath team of the late 80`straight through the 90`s was a very hard team, i never thought them dirty.

For the life of me, I can't think of a big game between Derry and Meath during this period! And I presume they met as both were top teams at the time!

Wildweasel74

Top teams, G you got to the final in 1996 and 1997 and the Derry team of that time was away better team by a considerable distance than that Mayo team, couldn't get out of Ulster and hadn't the fall back of the back door at the time.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 31, 2015, 04:12:09 PM
Top teams, G you got to the final in 1996 and 1997 and the Derry team of that time was away better team by a considerable distance than that Mayo team, couldn't get out of Ulster and hadn't the fall back of the back door at the time.

Yes as i said Derry were a top team. Just they never (to my recollection) met Meath in a Big game and if so it's hard for to have any gripe against them!

Jinxy

I've always liked the way Derry go about their business.
True gaels.

imtommygunn

87 meath met derry?? Anything else would have been league.

Hardy

AISF 1987 Meath v. Derry. League Final 2000 (two games) Meath  v. Derry. No whinging, moaning or indeed lying from Derry. A proper football county.