Gerry McEntee puts Art McRory back in his box

Started by Jinxy, May 31, 2015, 03:05:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokencrossbar1

Fair play to McEntee. Meath were a hardy bunch of hoors and we would have modelled much of our game plan on them. We had Boylan, O Rourke and Dowd up a number of times, O Rourke in particular was on the sideline when we won the first club AI. The funny thing is that he told us the complete opposite of sledging. He said say absolutely nothing to the opposition, he said that they would try it on us as we were from the north and they would try to get a rise out of us (which they did try). He said say nothing but wait your chance and take half a slower step and give the man the deadener on the refs blind side. See what they would say then he said!!!  Boylan was s gentleman on and off the field. All he demanded was commitment, 100%, the rest fell into place.

Wildweasel74

all there league meeting would have been played with hard hitting intensity, i remember Brian McGilligan thumping Geraghty in Celtic park, outright upper cut, the meath man just got up and played on, no lying down trying to get a man sent off or mouthing. though Lockhart and Murphy would had abit of rough and tumble

rrhf

Funny that both teams couldn't win a game of any note these days....

Hardy

Funny how bad the golf is today. Anyone else got any pertinent views?

From the Bunker

Quote from: Jinxy on May 31, 2015, 04:44:51 PM
I've always liked the way Derry go about their business.
True gaels.

I suppose opposites attract!  ;)

moysider

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 31, 2015, 04:12:09 PM
Top teams, G you got to the final in 1996 and 1997 and the Derry team of that time was away better team by a considerable distance than that Mayo team, couldn't get out of Ulster and hadn't the fall back of the back door at the time.

No they weren't. Derry were a fine league team. If they were as good as all that they would have got out of Ulster.
What happened after they got out in 97? ;)

Anyway back to the substantive issue; McEntee is some chancer coming out to bat for the choirboys. Fine player but constantly gobbing on the field is my memory of him. Sheesh, even Liam Hayes has written about the verbals they carried on with in games. One in particular where McEntee wrecked Declan Bolger's head until he was substituted. It was planned and systematic.
Mind you Hayes was at the receiving end of one of the most vile bit of sledging I heard of.

Jinxy

Telling your opponent that the manager is warming up a sub for him (which is what McEntee did with Bolger) is not 'sledging'.
Telling him he's going to miss a free is not 'sledging'.
Can people genuinely not tell the difference between the two?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

StGallsGAA

QuoteI've always liked the way Derry go about their business.
True gaels.
Are you Gregory Campbell's boyfriend?

From the Bunker

Quote from: Jinxy on May 31, 2015, 05:39:16 PM
Telling your opponent that the manager is warming up a sub for him (which is what McEntee did with Bolger) is not 'sledging'.
Telling him he's going to miss a free is not 'sledging'.
Can people genuinely not tell the difference between the two?

You are correct, that just goes into the bad gamesmanship category!

Jinxy

Drawing a line between that and Tyrone's typical carry-on is a bit like comparing the ebola virus with the common cold.

heffo

I've spoken to lots of Dublin players from that period and they've never mentioned Meath 'Sledging'

T Fearon

Did Art not once tell a Tyrone player,he had dropped from the panel,and later tried to convince Art that he had made a mistake,citing his score of 1-10 in a club match against the Rock, "The next time Tyrone are playing the Rock I'll give you a shout?" Is that not sledging?

Jinxy

Wildweasel74

AZOffaly

Meath didn't sledge. They rarely said a word other than cursing and blinding. They'd punch you in the gob, but they wouldn't lie down if you did the same to them. Hard, tough, but not sly and sneaky.