At what stage will Kerry be eliminated from this year's championship?

Started by Darby, May 27, 2015, 01:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

At what stage will Kerry be eliminated from this year's championship?

2nd Qualifying Round
3 (13%)
3rd Qualifying Round
0 (0%)
4th Qualifying Round
1 (4.3%)
All-Ireland Quarter-finals
6 (26.1%)
All-Ireland Semi-finals
13 (56.5%)

Total Members Voted: 23

larryin89

I'd tend to agree with the sentiment that Kerry were really lucky last year , the two best teams in Ireland both lost their semis last year. My dream year would be to beat Kerry in the final but I think it will be cork will be facing this year.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

muppet

Quote from: larryin89 on May 27, 2015, 11:05:32 PM
I'd tend to agree with the sentiment that Kerry were really lucky last year , the two best teams in Ireland both lost their semis last year. My dream year would be to beat Kerry in the final but I think it will be cork will be facing this year.

My dream is to face the Antarctic Penguins U-6 Netball 5 a side team in this year's final, during a heatwave, refereed by a hungry Marty Orca.
MWWSI 2017

larryin89

Quote from: muppet on May 28, 2015, 12:36:18 AM

My dream is to face the Antarctic Penguins U-6 Netball 5 a side team in this year's final, during a heatwave, refereed by a hungry Marty Orca.

Haha , I'll go with that.

Ciarrai_thuaidh

A thread about Kerry going over 1 page..in May?! I'm flattered..and started by a guy with the username Darby aswell, isn't that cute? ;D
We only had to wait a short while for a "Kerry were lucky to beat Mayo" post or 2 aswell, shockingly.

If we forget the nonsense talk, Kerry are in a pretty strong position if they stay fit and focused. Cork appear to be a shambles and I would expect us to get over Tipp despite them being at home and being a coming team, so given the draw you could very well see a Kerry v Dublin final again. A lot can happen between here and there though AND it has been notoriously hard for teams to retain Sam in the modern game. Injuries, form and of course a bit of luck can all go for or against you. I've yet to see a year though where the team who won the All-Ireland didn't truly deserve it. All winners get a lucky break or 2 but it is rarely the winning or losing of a game or a championship.

It's hard to see a winner coming from outside Dublin, Kerry, Mayo, Donegal to be honest and even then we don't know how Mayo have really absorbed the issues over the Winter and whether this new management are truly up to it.
Donegal, a lot of those players have a lot of mileage on the clock. Can they make it back to the top having negotiated a tough Ulster campaign again? The signs are decent with Gallagher having already slightly rejuvenated Colm McFadden, so they'll be contenders.
Dublin are probably favourites. There are still issues at the back and a few other spots, but they have the class up front to tear teams apart and you would think management have learned from the harsh lesson of last year. Only Kerry, Donegal, Mayo and possibly Armagh would give them a real game.
Armagh would be the next best placed I think. Looking forward to seeing how they go. Could upset a big team.
Monaghan also could beat a big team on their day, but when teams shut down Conor McManus they will struggle.
Cork are a shambles and could lose by 15 points to any of the teams already mentioned unless drastic action is taken. They have no idea who to put where at the back and if they persist with the likes of Goold and Cadogan in midfield it will not go well. Their management is on borrowed time and I get the sense the whole thing could crumble under pressure as the players have no faith in them. Crazy thing is, they have a serious potential forward line, including Colm O'Neill who is as good as anyone, but there's no way I could see them getting beyond a semi final anyway.

Of course, we in Kerry will only really be happy if we beat the real Kingdom of football - Roscommon along the way. Only then, possibly after Gooch has drank from a Sam Maguire filled with Syfineen's tears and given John Evans a wedgie, can we truly be called a true football county!

Apologies if this post was based too much in the real world for you Darby.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

Ciarrai_thuaidh

The 2 best teams in Ireland last year conceeded 3-14 and 3-16 in their respective semi finals and Cork are the team to beat this year?

That gas pipeline ye have up there must be leaking or something..
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

Syferus

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on May 28, 2015, 01:28:39 AM
A thread about Kerry going over 1 page..in May?! I'm flattered..and started by a guy with the username Darby aswell, isn't that cute? ;D
We only had to wait a short while for a "Kerry were lucky to beat Mayo" post or 2 aswell, shockingly.

If we forget the nonsense talk, Kerry are in a pretty strong position if they stay fit and focused. Cork appear to be a shambles and I would expect us to get over Tipp despite them being at home and being a coming team, so given the draw you could very well see a Kerry v Dublin final again. A lot can happen between here and there though AND it has been notoriously hard for teams to retain Sam in the modern game. Injuries, form and of course a bit of luck can all go for or against you. I've yet to see a year though where the team who won the All-Ireland didn't truly deserve it. All winners get a lucky break or 2 but it is rarely the winning or losing of a game or a championship.

It's hard to see a winner coming from outside Dublin, Kerry, Mayo, Donegal to be honest and even then we don't know how Mayo have really absorbed the issues over the Winter and whether this new management are truly up to it.
Donegal, a lot of those players have a lot of mileage on the clock. Can they make it back to the top having negotiated a tough Ulster campaign again? The signs are decent with Gallagher having already slightly rejuvenated Colm McFadden, so they'll be contenders.
Dublin are probably favourites. There are still issues at the back and a few other spots, but they have the class up front to tear teams apart and you would think management have learned from the harsh lesson of last year. Only Kerry, Donegal, Mayo and possibly Armagh would give them a real game.
Armagh would be the next best placed I think. Looking forward to seeing how they go. Could upset a big team.
Monaghan also could beat a big team on their day, but when teams shut down Conor McManus they will struggle.
Cork are a shambles and could lose by 15 points to any of the teams already mentioned unless drastic action is taken. They have no idea who to put where at the back and if they persist with the likes of Goold and Cadogan in midfield it will not go well. Their management is on borrowed time and I get the sense the whole thing could crumble under pressure as the players have no faith in them. Crazy thing is, they have a serious potential forward line, including Colm O'Neill who is as good as anyone, but there's no way I could see them getting beyond a semi final anyway.

Of course, we in Kerry will only really be happy if we beat the real Kingdom of football - Roscommon along the way. Only then, possibly after Gooch has drank from a Sam Maguire filled with Syfineen's tears and given John Evans a wedgie, can we truly be called a true football county!

Apologies if this post was based too much in the real world for you Darby.

Sadly winning Connacht would mean next to no chance of meeting Kerry this year because of the provincial champions' draw and Cork seemingly conspiring to do everything in their power to forget how to defend after a good start to the league. Might have to settle for a geed up Donegal beating ye in an AISF I'm afraid ladeen.

larryin89

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on May 28, 2015, 01:31:02 AM

The 2 best teams in Ireland last year conceeded 3-14 and 3-16 in their respective semi finals and Cork are the team to beat this year?

That gas pipeline ye have up there must be leaking or something..

Cork thing was more of tongue n cheek to fit in with me saying Mayo are a sure thing for the final type joke . But I do think cork will beat Kerry and have backed cork for Munster in an accum.

To get back to the other point I was deadly serious ,how Dublin lost that semi final I'll never fathom , if they were to play ten games Dublin would of won the other nine . As for us , we were fookin robbed but sure if you're Mayo you can't complain because ........................................ 

Syferus, you're not going to win Connacht , get it outta your head lad . Business as usual now , no more shite talk . We will beat Galway by 9 points in salthill and Ros by 8 in castlebar and your dream will be dashed in 70 mins of castlebar sunshine on 19th July . Fools.

macdanger2

Quote from: larryin89 on May 28, 2015, 02:25:07 AM
Syferus, you're not going to win Connacht , get it outta your head lad . Business as usual now , no more shite talk . We will beat Galway by 9 points in salthill and Ros by 8 in castlebar and your dream will be dashed in 70 mins of castlebar sunshine on 19th July . Fools.

Good man Larry, the cute hoorism doesn't suit us, tell it like it is!!  ;D

From the Bunker

Looking forward to see what appens with Galvin, Gooch, Darran O'Sullivan and Walsh this year. I have a feeling all could go great for these players or all could fade into oblivion. Injuries and age are not on the side of any of these players bar Walsh.

Sadly for Gooch he will now get even more special attention given his time off. Players will be out to test his nerve under the heavy tackle.

It's hard to see the role of Galvin. I seen him in 2013 versus Cavan in the AI Quarter final and he looked his age. That said Kerry were in cruise control for most of that game.

Walsh's return for Kerry was being brought on as a Sub against Mayo in the League. He was off as quick with Injury. That's his problem! I suppose Kerry will spare him till August like Donaghy last year.

Darren O'Sullivan is heading for the sort of Chronic injuries that seem to affect players playing too much inter county football too early (Cillian O'C take note).

Syferus

I still think Gooch will be on another level to those other three. His vision and skill alone can carry him even if he'll have lost a step. Now that JO'D has truly emerged he has someone who will absorb some of the attention he was getting.

That said JO'D has had his own injuries to deal with. Would be surprised if Galvin and DO'S are more than bit players. Walsh I thought had potential coming back but he's only fizzled at best so far.

macdanger2

Quote from: Syferus on May 28, 2015, 04:44:22 PM
That said JO'D has had his own injuries to deal with. Would be surprised if Galvin and DO'S are more than bit players. Walsh I thought had potential coming back but he's only fizzled at best so far.

The months before August are not made for "fizzling", Walsh will be there or there abouts come the important games

Syferus

Quote from: macdanger2 on May 29, 2015, 01:02:35 PM

The months before August are not made for "fizzling", Walsh will be there or there abouts come the important games

Relying on him to turn it on when he's been lacklustre in sport for years now is hard to justify. His confidence has to have taken a massive hit with all the injuries, nevermind the question marks about just how much punishment he can take after those injuries. I'm no fan of Star but that team looks like it only has room for at most one or two of Walsh, Star and Geaney and Star with his tail up looks the better option. Geaney would still be better than the current Walsh and obviously has a longer term future than Star.

Rossfan

Fitzmaurice will be appointing Syf to his backroom team any day now :-[ ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

JoG2

Quote from: macdanger2 on May 29, 2015, 01:02:35 PM

I wouldn't be so sure 'Danger. I know he's not back that long, but whenever I've seen him play in the league on TV and live it looks like his touch and control on the ball have completely deserted him. Hopefully he can turn it around. Doubt he'd be kept in the Kerry panel if he wasn't able for it though.

twohands!!!

Was talking to a Kerryman and he was saying that Galvin has been struggling in training.
Said Tommy Walsh was progessing with every session "slowly but surely" was the phrase.
Said Darren O'Sullivan was the lad "flying in training"
Didnt have much else.

The man in question would have serious connections and knowledge of the Kerry scene, but yerra health warnings do apply.