At what stage will Kerry be eliminated from this year's championship?

Started by Darby, May 27, 2015, 01:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

At what stage will Kerry be eliminated from this year's championship?

2nd Qualifying Round
3 (13%)
3rd Qualifying Round
0 (0%)
4th Qualifying Round
1 (4.3%)
All-Ireland Quarter-finals
6 (26.1%)
All-Ireland Semi-finals
13 (56.5%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Darby

They rode their luck in 2014, but hopes are high for the Kingdom again in 2015. That hope is misguided, to put it mildly. Kerry's 2014 outfit were probably the worst team to win the All-Ireland in the last 40 years. They were helped over the line by the ineffective tactics of Donegal in the All-Ireland final, while Mayo choked badly the first day out and were undone by a laughable refereeing performance in the second. That said, they still struggled to finish the job.

2015 will see the Kingdom crash and burn. But at what point will their naïve hopes be dashed? I firmly believe that Tipperary will overturn them in Munster, and although many will greet it as a real Cinderella story, it will actually be a fair reflection of where both counties are right now.

To be fair to Kerry, they are definitely among the ten best teams in the country, so I fancy them to negotiate a few assignments in the qualifiers. That said, I'd be surprised if they make it to Croke Park. Kerry will be best served aiming for a Munster title, but even that should be beyond their reach.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

AZOffaly

Quote from: Darby on May 27, 2015, 01:44:11 PM
They rode their luck in 2014, but hopes are high for the Kingdom again in 2015. That hope is misguided, to put it mildly. Kerry's 2014 outfit were probably the worst team to win the All-Ireland in the last 40 years. They were helped over the line by the ineffective tactics of Donegal in the All-Ireland final, while Mayo choked badly the first day out and were undone by a laughable refereeing performance in the second. That said, they still struggled to finish the job.

2015 will see the Kingdom crash and burn. But at what point will their naïve hopes be dashed? I firmly believe that Tipperary will overturn them in Munster, and although many will greet it as a real Cinderella story, it will actually be a fair reflection of where both counties are right now.

To be fair to Kerry, they are definitely among the ten best teams in the country, so I fancy them to negotiate a few assignments in the qualifiers. That said, I'd be surprised if they make it to Croke Park. Kerry will be best served aiming for a Munster title, but even that should be beyond their reach.

So if you think Tipp will overturn them, and that's a fair reflection, but Kerry are a top 10 team definitely, where are Tipp?

I hope Tipp get over Waterford this Sunday, any talk of Kerry before that is premature.

Darby

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 27, 2015, 02:24:12 PM

So if you think Tipp will overturn them, and that's a fair reflection, but Kerry are a top 10 team definitely, where are Tipp?

That would also make Tipp a top 10 team.

twohands!!!

I think there seems to be almost an agreed on narrative emerging that the only reason Kerry won is that Durcan made a mess of a kickout in the final and that Kerry played ultra-defensively that day beating Donegal at their own game. Even Darragh O'Se makes a passing mention of it in his Irish Times column today and when I read it I couldnt help think that it suits Kerry to push this as a way of talking down the win. Kerry did ride their luck a bit in terms of their comeback against Mayo but even then with that this Mayo team have an easily identified habit of letting teams back into game. No team wins Sam without getting a bit of luck there way anyway.

The big thing that seems to get overlooked about the final was just how bad Kerry's shooting in the final was - they scored 4 points from 23 attempts. The excellent Dont Foul mentioned that this was the 3rd worst shooting performance by a side out of something like 75 games of  championship football (so basically 3rd worst out of 150 lineouts)

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Darby

Quote from: Jinxy on May 27, 2015, 02:35:08 PM
We'll make bits of them in the quarter-finals.
Lose to Meath? Kerry are bewilderingly average, but they're not hopeless.

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

armaghniac

I think Kerry will lose the game after the game where Meath makes bits of them.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

From the Bunker

They will lose the Munster final and and again when they meet Dublin be it in the Quarter/Semi/Final after that depending on the draw!

Farrandeelin

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 27, 2015, 07:51:52 PM
They will lose the Munster final and and again when they meet Dublin be it in the Quarter/Semi/Final after that depending on the draw!
Do you really think Cork will beat them in Munster?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 27, 2015, 08:12:55 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on May 27, 2015, 07:51:52 PM
Do you really think Cork will beat them in Munster?

Yeah, winning a Munster title is more important to Cork than Kerry this year. Last year for Kerry it was all about winning Munster and getting as far in the AI series as possible. This year that (the munster title) is not as important. That said a Munster title means avoiding Dublin, so it may be an incentive. Cork are not as bad as the League final may make you believe and Munster finals are notorious for See-saw results!

Aaron Boone

This is year two of a Kerry 5-in-row. They were an excellent team last year and even better this. Fiztmaurice will be a legendary manager.

screenexile

I agree with your man Boone above. The only team who can beat Kerry are the Dubs.

Fitzmaurice is a class act much like McGuinness but seemingly without the giant ego and I think he'll hang around for a while unlike Jim who was very quick to jump!