18 (31.6%)
Longford pull off shock of the century
16 (28.1%)
Donegal will say No
6 (10.5%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Voting closed: June 18, 2015, 09:41:16 AM

Syferus

Monaghan has over 30% higher of a population than Longford (39k to 60k) Indy..

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Teo Lurley

Why would we punish teams because they don't have the money to compete with the big guns? Shouldn't we be assisting them to get up to standard? Earlier in this thread someone was saying that Kerry raised 4 million for their team, Donegal are getting a good bit raised also. Dublin are getting astronomical amounts.
Instead of killing football in the weaker counties by telling them to go play in the losers league, shouldn't we be doing something about the distribution of cash? That would make far more sense.

Zulu

No it wouldn't and the only money the GAA can redistribute is their own but before you'd do even that you'd have to identify where you'd get a return. No point in wasting money either. By the way nobody is proposing a losers group so lets stick to facts.

trileacman

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 03, 2015, 11:48:30 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on June 03, 2015, 11:42:12 AM
At the end of the day lads, only one team can win Sam.
We're no different than any other sport in this regard.
However, the Sunderland fan who knows his team will never win a premiership will still celebrate as if they had, provided they beat Newcastle.
Familiarity breeds contempt, and contempt breeds championship football.

I'm not necessarily with you on this one Jinxy. My attachment to the provincials is based on the fact that they are still the most attainable meaningful success that most (not all) counties can at least aspire to. It's not necessarily because they have to beat Westmeath or Laois to win them. Of course local derbies are special, but maybe a more infrequent local derby in an All Ireland format would be even more special? I mean in fairness if you were in a group of 4, there's a fair chance at least one of them will be near enough to you, especially if you are a Leinster county. In that sample I threw out there Offaly would have played Roscommon, which would be a local derby.

Sorry AZ that's bullshit. Our rivalry with Armagh was at it's zenith despite meeting them 3 times in a year. We have got tore up by Donegal on our previous 3 meetings in 4 years but there's still nothing to wet my appepite for championship football like drawing them in the 1st round. What the f**k would i care for 1st round if we were playing Longford, Ros or Galway for the first few days.

Lads f**k all is broken in football excluding Dublin's dominance in Leinster which will not last for ever and the seeding in Munster. Why throw the baby out with the bath water because of Dublin tanking a Division 3 team? Make Dublin play away, get rid of seeding and correct the finances if you wish.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Teo Lurley

Quote from: Zulu on June 03, 2015, 02:12:30 PM
No it wouldn't and the only money the GAA can redistribute is their own but before you'd do even that you'd have to identify where you'd get a return. No point in wasting money either. By the way nobody is proposing a losers group so lets stick to facts.

There should be rules on sponsorship and where you can get money from. The GAA needs to distribute the money it has in a more fair manner. Improving the standard of football in every county is not wasting money. Some people seem to want an elite league while the rest just get out of their way.

Syferus

Quote from: Teo Lurley on June 03, 2015, 02:26:30 PM

There should be rules on sponsorship and where you can get money from. The GAA needs to distribute the money it has in a more fair manner. Improving the standard of football in every county is not wasting money. Some people seem to want an elite league while the rest just get out of their way.

All of which sounds a bit too much like hurling's closed shop to wash with anything close to most people.

Sort the schedule and the money at IC, only then should we even think about performing open heart surgery on the tent-pole competion in the sport to the degree some here want. Anything else is truly reckless.

Zulu

Nonsense, giving Leitrim or Longford millions wouldn't make them competitive enough to beat Dublin or Kerry most years. You boys want to solve a minor problem while ignoring the real one. There shouldn't be any cap on what Dublin can generate for themselves as A. It's not enforceable and B. Why limit counties maximising their ability? - 'Lads, ye wouldn't mind getting less good would ye??

Redistribute GAA money by all means but don't think that's going to solve much, especially without counties having a clear plan on how to use the money.

Teo Lurley

Quote from: Zulu on June 03, 2015, 02:47:03 PM
Nonsense, giving Leitrim or Longford millions wouldn't make them competitive enough to beat Dublin or Kerry most years. You boys want to solve a minor problem while ignoring the real one. There shouldn't be any cap on what Dublin can generate for themselves as A. It's not enforceable and B. Why limit counties maximising their ability? - 'Lads, ye wouldn't mind getting less good would ye??

Redistribute GAA money by all means but don't think that's going to solve much, especially without counties having a clear plan on how to use the money.

Or how about giving everyone a fair chance? Radical thinking I know.

I hope there's more support amongst GAA fans to see the game survive in all counties rather than just having an elite league with those who can raise sponsorship money while the rest play eachother in the losers league. In fact I know there's more support for that, the day that changes is the day we may forget about it all.

heffo

Quote from: Teo Lurley on June 03, 2015, 03:00:51 PM

Like letting Longford use Donegal's helicopter or turn the Donegal & Kerry bagmen upside down at Dublin airport and divvy up the dollars they've collected at another foreign fund raiser?

INDIANA

Why should a county have to redistribute their sponsorship. AIG want to sponsor Dublin not Carlow. It's up to the GAA to look after Carlow not Dublin.
People have no idea how backward the structures in these counties are due to the county boards that exist there. Dublin as usual get the blame for everything. You could give millions to these county boards and the problem will still exist.

AZOffaly

Quote from: INDIANA on June 03, 2015, 03:17:38 PM

Why should a county have to redistribute their sponsorship. AIG want to sponsor Dublin not Carlow. It's up to the GAA to look after Carlow not Dublin.
People have no idea how backward the structures in these counties are due to the county boards that exist there. Dublin as usual get the blame for everything. You could give millions to these county boards and the problem will still exist.

Not sure how Dublin are getting the blame here Indy. I think people are taking the simplistic view that money equals success. I don't agree with that, and I do agree with your statement above in bold. However, a more equitable distribution of development grants, where each counties demonstrate value for money on how it is spent, would be a good way of reining the Dubs in a little. As Zulu says, you'll probably wait a long time for Longford or Carlow or Offaly to beat the Dubs regularly, but if they could invest money wisely, and Dublin had a bit less to invest, the field might be a bit more even.

Dublin have the population advantage, (which could easily be a headache in fairness to them) and that's not going to change.
They have good leadership and coaching structures in place.
They have the money to drive these structures.

Offaly could never have the first, but why can't we have the second, and therefore make a case for the third? I think we should be aiming at that, and sort out our own affairs.

Zulu

I hope there's more support amongst GAA fans to see the game survive in all counties rather than just having an elite league with those who can raise sponsorship money while the rest play eachother in the losers league. In fact I know there's more support for that, the day that changes is the day we may forget about it all.

If you want to give counties a fair chance then make them of broadly equal size but giving a county of Leitrim's population millions won't make them more competitive. And stop spouting rubbish about a losers league, nobody is advocating that. Perhaps if your only contribution is to give out about big teams generating big money then go to the thread specifically about that, there's quite a few if memory serves.

By the way, increasing the number of games between the best teams will generate more sponsorship and TV money for our leagues and championships which would, in turn, increase the money smaller counties get from the GAA.

Jinxy

Quote from: Zulu on June 03, 2015, 03:26:00 PM

If you want to give counties a fair chance then make them of broadly equal size but giving a county of Leitrim's population millions won't make them more competitive. And stop spouting rubbish about a losers league, nobody is advocating that. Perhaps if your only contribution is to give out about big teams generating big money then go to the thread specifically about that, there's quite a few if memory serves.

By the way, increasing the number of games between the best teams will generate more sponsorship and TV money for our leagues and championships which would, in turn, increase the money smaller counties get from the GAA.

Maybe if we give them enough money they'll just go away and stop annoying us.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

dublin7

In almost every other other sport in the world the main trophy is the league.  Only in Ireland do we have such a bizarre idea that the knock out tournament of the championship is most important.  The provincial set ups are a joke & should have been done away with years ago.  Foregtting about the likes of Dublin dominating Leinster, how is it fair and deemed acceptable that a team in the connacht championship only has to win one game to guarantee a place in the connacht final and the last twelve of the all ireland championship, where as a team a team in Leinster/Ulster could have to win 3 to reach the same stage.

I believe the best set up is to split into four divisons based on performances in league and championship over last five years. Introduce promotion/relegation so teams so everyone has incentives to aim for & teams are more evenly matched as they are playing against teams of similar standards.

It's no coincidence that in the last few years with the ridiculous training demands being put on inter county footballers that more & more players (especially from the weaker counties) are opting out of panels or playing one championship game at the start of year and once beaten heading off to the states for the summer.

If the provincial championships were scrapped and teams sorted into divisions based on their ability & not geography you would have a far more entertaining and viable championship.  So called weaker counties would have a trophy/promotion to aim for at the start of the season rather than training 5/6 nights a week for 6 months in full expectation of a hammering in their first game of the season.