Twistin, turnin, windin roads - Galway v Mayo 14/6/15

Started by Farrandeelin, May 17, 2015, 08:10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

Wasn't impressed with Mayo at all. They aren't capable of beating the top 3 in my view. Poor at the back today and really it was Parsons and Seamus O Se at midfield who saved their bacon. Up front it's the same old story- it all revolves around AOS.

There was no obvious attacking strategy from Mayo bar the odd high ball in.

Galway were improved on previous years. Plenty to offer up front but that backline will never hold up against a good team. Might make the quarters- maybe.

Reasonably enjoyable game compared to the turkey shoot beforehand in Ulster

Chimley

Quote from: INDIANA on June 14, 2015, 08:17:47 PM
Wasn't impressed with Mayo at all. They aren't capable of beating the top 3 in my view. Poor at the back today and really it was Parsons and Seamus O Se at midfield who saved their bacon. Up front it's the same old story- it all revolves around AOS.

There was no obvious attacking strategy from Mayo bar the odd high ball in.

Galway were improved on previous years. Plenty to offer up front but that backline will never hold up against a good team. Might make the quarters- maybe.

Reasonably enjoyable game compared to the turkey shoot beforehand in Ulster

Nothing new there.

A better display than against Roscommon last year so there's hope yet.

Throw ball

Off the balls incidents, brawls, black cards, red cards. These Ulster matches are a disgrace.

Wait a minute the script writers got matches wrong way round today!

gibbs32

Cant wait to wipe the smugness off cursed mayo and the rossies give me a nice financial betting win. By god they will. Sligo by 8 and mayo by 3

highorlow

Quote[
Re: Twistin, turnin, windin roads - Galway v Mayo 14/6/15
« Reply #275 on: Today at 08:58:22 PM »
Cant wait to wipe the smugness off cursed mayo and the rossies give me a nice financial betting win. By god they will. Sligo by 8 and mayo by 3/quote]

Your one of those daft bastards.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

gibbs32

Syferus

Why are ye so easily suckered by one of yer own?

ballinaman

Job done but not hectic, expect as much for this time of year to be fair.

Surprised that Cunniffe was left on Comer, switch looked on.

Aidan O'Shea continues to need 3-4 lads hanging off him for the ref to even think about blowing a free.

Hopefully have much more in the tank because that type of performance won't trouble any of the top 3...

muppet

Look at the positives.

Cuniffe, Barrett, Andy & Cillian needed a game and will improve, though the latter two got 11 points between them. Young O'Connor worked very hard and justified his place.

I thought Galway gave us too much respect in midfield but it was still good, especially on their kickouts.

Hopefully Andy Moran hasn't got anything major. Alan Dillon was getting a lot or bandages.

Oh and AOXI is unmarkable in that form. I loved the catch and run at the 2nd half throw-in. That set up the purple patch imho.

I'll worry about the negatives later in the week.
MWWSI 2017

giveballaghback

Galways attempt at defending today was poor to say the least, if thats what Mayo have this year then they have gone back into the chasing pack, if they win the five in a row they will be on course to play the dubs in the semi, that would have a sad end for them on todays form, no new tactics no new faces, same old, same old, dead men walking. But maybe they have another gear but I dont think so.

ballinaman

Clarke was dominant today, no messing. Fairly levelled the Galway lad in the 1st half who was throwing shapes.
Diarmuid O Connor covered some ground. Well worth his spot.

gibbs32

Top 3???????? Ye boys in mayo must be smoking some stuff! Rossies for connaught and f**k you syfres, the most inconsistent poster

galwayman

Galway just not good enough I am sad to say.
We were wiped at midfield and gave away scoreable free after scoreable free.
The writing was on the wall after Mayos goal.For a mentally brittle side like Galway have at the moment that was a killer blow.
That score again highlighted what I've been saying all along about the goalkeepers in the squad.They are just not up to the required standard.
What in Gods name was he thinking - attempting to pull on the ball along the ground when he had ample time to pick the bloody thing up and also had several defenders around him for cover.Brainless stuff.
Another thing that has been blatantly obvious to anybody who has watched this Galway team this year is that Patrick Sweeney is nowhere near being county standard.
He was anonymous in the league games I saw this year & was totally anonymous again today.
Yet he played almost the entire game.It beggars belief.

We had too many non performers today and Mayo were worthy winners despite being unimpressive themselves.

Farrandeelin

Tough game, but that was expected after 10 weeks in the wilderness and Galway's hunger not top be humiliated again. Agree with all that has been said here. Galway's fouling was probably the saving grace Mayo had today. When Galway got the ball they ran through the Mayo defence.

AOs was immense, it was a pity in a way to see Hanley get such a beating, but he's not the only one who has failed to deal with AOS when he is in that sort of form. Defence - needs to get tighter with the opposition forwards, if this does not happen, Mayo will struggle. I was happy with Keith Higgins all through the game, apart from early on. Cunniffe had a terrible first half I thought, he played a bit better in the second half. KK wasn't as effective in the cornerback position as when he was fullback. Halfback line were very good, I thought Barrett was brilliant, he's a real tenacious player, Boyle was good too, gave away a ball or two before he was taken off but was solid. Keegan, I don't know whether to rate him or criticise him, he was good during the course of the game, but he has to keep his cool or else opposition and refs will take a harsher stance on him.

Midfield, I was happy with Parsons in particular. Seamie also had a good game and I thought the two of them nullified Galway's big two around that area.

Forwards - Diarmuid had a very good game, he was up and down and laying off good passes for others. Hopefully he will keep it up. Doherty, was only average today I thought, in comparison as to how he could play. He didn't get on as much ball as I expected him to. KMcL, good at getting into open spaces, but gave away a few bad balls. Andy, good game while he was on, hopefully the injury isn't too serious. Cillian, was Cillian, though I would like to see him score more from play. AOS - magnificent.

Dillon was unlucky to pull up early. Ronaldson was lively but looked a bit nervous early on. Caff and Vaughan had good games when they were on. B Moran had an ok time at midfield I suppose, he didn't do anything of note. Freeman didn't do much when introduced.

A win is a win, but there's a lot to work on.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

From the Bunker

Be careful there Farr you are sounding confident there.