Twistin, turnin, windin roads - Galway v Mayo 14/6/15

Started by Farrandeelin, May 17, 2015, 08:10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: dublin7 on June 14, 2015, 04:31:37 PM
Good game. Both full back lines are a shambles.  Umpire behind the mayo goal are either blind or cowards. Goalie hits galway full forward an elbow then punches him when he is on the ground. Cowardly hit. Could easily have been sent off, but not even booked.

What game were u watching??

Lot of very angry noobs on here

Thought P&N did the right thing taking off Keane, Walsh should have done similar, Hanley was being cleaned and it was only a matter of time

Second yellow for keegan
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

mrhardyannual

Game went pretty much as anticipated. Mayo were rusty at first but so too Kerry v Tipperary. Too much nonsense was written about Galway in the build up. They showed little promise in the league and while Corofin's win was a boost they weren't providing the big players Galway need. Mayo are still years ahead in physicality and when the chips were down they could hit a higher gear.  Despite the constant harping of some of the Mayo posters, Holmes and Connelly are more than capable of doing a good job. How far we go is still the great unknown but I expect a big improvement for the Connacht final. Up and running!

Jinxy

Young Comer would want to calm down.
He was like a bull in a china shop all day.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

macdanger2

Great to go to Salthill and get another win especially when we were far from our best. We'll need to pick it up a good bit against Sligo / Roscommon though.

Clarke – good kickouts and one very good save at the far post from Cummins
Higgins – left exposed at times in one on one but did well overall and had one brilliant block in the first half
Keane – did ok overall but again could do with some cover
Cunniffe – better in the 2nd half when he was out in front more often
Boyle – only so-so by his standards
Barrett – decent enough, carried some nice ball in the first half
Keegan – again only so-so by his standards. Stupid stuff to get sent off although Comer's reaction was over the top
Parsons & SOS – both very good at winning ball but could do more to help out the defence
DOC – best game I've seen him play so far, would be good to see him getting on the scoreboard
AOS – very good overall but will play against better backlines that Galway. Still holds onto the ball for too long. Why was most of the ball into him played low into space instead of a few high balls?
McLoughlin – poor by his standards although he won some nice breaking ball in the 2nd half. He's one of our key men and he needs to be on the ball more
Andy – two nice points, we missed him when he went off. One of the few Mayo players who seems to want to score
COC – very good although we need him on the ball more. Would like to see him (and others) playing off AOS instead of all playing as individuals. Very reliant on him for scores
Doc – poor enough by his standards, he needs to be chipping in with 2-3 points a game

Subs
Vaughan – very good when he came on, will be pushing for a starting place the next day
Ronaldson – nervy start but showed well thereafter, could be pushing for a start the next day as well
Dillon – fairly anonymous, possibly shouldn't have been brought on if he wasn't fit
B Moran – did ok but not enough to start the next day
Caff – did ok and it was good to have someone of his experience to bring on when Keane got a yellow
Freeman – wasn't really on long enough to rate

Decent performance overall but we need to see more of a system in both the forwards and the backs.

rosnarun

it was a bit of a n win situation for mayo . hammer them and galway were useless and the whole 120 year old proveincial system should be scrapped .  whrereas loosing was unthinkable and the end of football in mayo.
So im happy enough for the time being but improvment will be need for the all ireland quater finals
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

magpie seanie

Quote from: Jinxy on June 15, 2015, 09:12:16 AM

Great to see the aggression (to go with his skills) but yeah - he sailed close to the wind all day. Hanley should have walked a lot earlier but I'd blame his manager for that. Hung him out to dry with no protection and made no move when he (belatedly) got the yellow card.

I really thought the ref had a funny outing. Gave frees for small things at times and then ignored more dangerous fouls/hits/melees.

magpie seanie

Quote from: macdanger2 on June 15, 2015, 10:17:41 AM
Great to go to Salthill and get another win especially when we were far from our best. We'll need to pick it up a good bit against Sligo / Roscommon though.

Higgins – left exposed at times in one on one but did well overall and had one brilliant block in the first half
Keegan – again only so-so by his standards. Stupid stuff to get sent off although Comer's reaction was over the top
Parsons & SOS – both very good at winning ball but could do more to help out the defence
DOC – best game I've seen him play so far, would be good to see him getting on the scoreboard
AOS – very good overall but will play against better backlines that Galway. Still holds onto the ball for too long. Why was most of the ball into him played low into space instead of a few high balls?
McLoughlin – poor by his standards although he won some nice breaking ball in the 2nd half. He's one of our key men and he needs to be on the ball more
Andy – two nice points, we missed him when he went off. One of the few Mayo players who seems to want to score
COC – very good although we need him on the ball more. Would like to see him (and others) playing off AOS instead of all playing as individuals. Very reliant on him for scores
Doc – poor enough by his standards, he needs to be chipping in with 2-3 points a game

Subs
Vaughan – very good when he came on, will be pushing for a starting place the next day
Ronaldson – nervy start but showed well thereafter, could be pushing for a start the next day as well
Dillon – fairly anonymous, possibly shouldn't have been brought on if he wasn't fit
Caff – did ok and it was good to have someone of his experience to bring on when Keane got a yellow

Decent performance overall but we need to see more of a system in both the forwards and the backs.

The first was an outrageous fluke. Try to be objective FFS!

Syferus

Quote from: magpie seanie on June 15, 2015, 11:04:09 AM

Subs

Seanie already starting sledging Roscommon players.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: magpie seanie on June 15, 2015, 11:02:33 AMHanley should have walked a lot earlier but I'd blame his manager for that. Hung him out to dry with no protection and made no move when he (belatedly) got the yellow card.
You'd have thought he'd have learned from the 2012 experience we had with Hanley but obviously not.

Syferus

Quote from: Owenmoresider on June 15, 2015, 12:47:14 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on June 15, 2015, 11:02:33 AMHanley should have walked a lot earlier but I'd blame his manager for that. Hung him out to dry with no protection and made no move when he (belatedly) got the yellow card.
You'd have thought he'd have learned from the 2012 experience we had with Hanley but obviously not.

We saw what the back-ups were like in the FBD. Probably the right decision by Walsh not to sub them out.

macdanger2

Quote from: Syferus on June 15, 2015, 12:53:07 PM

We saw what the back-ups were like in the FBD. Probably the right decision by Walsh not to sub them out.

Surely they could have dropped back a HF or something to help out

Chimley

Quote from: Jinxy on June 15, 2015, 09:12:16 AM

And the more he got involved, the less influence he had on the game. He's young so he'll learn.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: magpie seanie on June 15, 2015, 11:04:09 AM

Subs

Yeah was definitely a fluke. We were right behind it. He was trying to knock it across the goal to the Mayo player at the back post. Sliced it over the bar instead.

GalwayBayBoy

Problem is the back up full-back is Colin Forde who did his cruciate during the league. Don't think we even have another full-back in the squad. Anyway Walsh should still have moved him but his options were limited. None of the replacements would have had anywhere near the stature or size to take on O'Shea. Best option might have been to drop someone back in front of him.

highorlow

Good enough performance yesterday but not sure if it was down to Galway's poor effort.

If I were a Galway supporter I'd be embarrassed and angry in equal measure. 5 mins to go and Hanley sits on the ground and won't get up, fine by us, ye were wasting yer own time.

We badly need a core group to stay injury and suspension free as without the like of Aiden O'Shea, Cillian O'Connor and Andy Moran we would be very much weakened. I hope Aidan O'Shea's arm is just a sprane.

I thought the gameplan was good enough yesterday and it is clear that the lads have worked and focussed on the footpassing and trying to keep the pitch wide. Fair play to the management for that.

Also the subs were used to good effect and Ronaldson was anxious to prove himself, which he did. Again the management deserve credit for that.

Our discipline was middling and our same few lads were at it again towards the end of the game. Some of our lads have short fuses and I'd say Sligo will put nigglers on them the next day. We need to try and control this though yesterdays game could be forgiven as there was a lot of timber flying throughout.

Sligo are going to be something of a surprise for us as everyone is expecting Ross to come through. I don't see that happening myself, Ross are building themselves up for a major fall this year.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go