Twistin, turnin, windin roads - Galway v Mayo 14/6/15

Started by Farrandeelin, May 17, 2015, 08:10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: screenexile on June 14, 2015, 05:38:54 PM
Had AOS been at FF during the Horan era I think they would have won an AI... With the wealth of talent they had at MF why was he wasted there and CHF when he's virtually unmarkable at the edge of the  square...

Mayo look like they're up for it again but I'm not so sure they have it in them to go to the well again. Moran, Dillon, McLoughlin, Higgins all struggled at times and have plenty of miles on the clock.

It's all about being up to speed at the end of July! Today is about getting through. Moran got two of the best points today. Both he and Dillon got injured, so you can't judge lads who were on the pitch for only a few minutes. Higgins and McLoughlin have it in them and are young enough, especially the latter.

Put Up That Flag

Congrats to Syferus and the other Mayo lads of yere victory

Syferus

Quote from: screenexile on June 14, 2015, 05:38:54 PM
Had AOS been at FF during the Horan era I think they would have won an AI... With the wealth of talent they had at MF why was he wasted there and CHF when he's virtually unmarkable at the edge of the  square...

Mayo look like they're up for it again but I'm not so sure they have it in them to go to the well again. Moran, Dillon, McLoughlin, Higgins all struggled at times and have plenty of miles on the clock.

They tried him inside plenty under Horan. I wouldn't be going too mad on the plaudits after that. Galway's FB line and keeper has been suspect for years. AOS won't get many softer rides this side of Copper Face Jacks.

muppet

Good win for us in Salthill.

I felt sorry for Conroy, he is very influential for Galway and was captain. That rule is a very severe punishment on an individual level. Silly foul all the same.

The ref should have put Hanley out of his misery much earlier. Doesn't reflect well on Kevin Walsh either that he stood and watched him being destroyed, with everyone knowing he was going to get the line. In fairness to Holmes and Connelly, they had Keane off pronto when the same started to happen to us.
MWWSI 2017

cicfada

Decent win for mayo today but so many questions remain. Firstly an obviously too-fired-up Galway side gifted them so many scores from frees from stupid fouling. Will teams like Kerry, Dublin or donegal be that flaithuileach?? Secondly have mayo found another scoring forward to compliment cillian o Connor ?? On the evidence of today, that would  be no imho. The minimum needed for mayo to have a crack at Sam is to find that forward  and let's face it, it's all about Sam for mayo. This drive for five shite is irrelevant. Yeah, it would be nice to achieve it by who cares about provincial honours when the bigger prize is the main goal? I don't remember who won the Connacht championship in 2001 but guess what,? I remember who won the all Ireland title that year😉! Still though a win is a win especially after 10 weeks out of action and the show is on the road again. Mayo should be good enough to win the Connacht title again before the real action starts in August ! As for Galway, there is a bit to go before it can be said that they're coming again but more discipline, a better midfield and shane Walsh back might see them go for a spin through the qualifiers before defeat to 1 of the other members of the big 4, donegal, Kerry and the dubs!!

SouthDublinBro

Quote from: cicfada on June 14, 2015, 06:56:06 PM
a better midfield and shane Walsh back might see them go for a spin through the qualifiers before defeat to 1 of the other members of the big 4, donegal, Kerry and the dubs!!

Shane Walsh is finished.

From the Bunker

Decent win for mayo today but so many questions remain. Firstly an obviously too-fired-up Galway side gifted them so many scores from frees from stupid fouling. Will teams like Kerry, Dublin or donegal be that flaithuileach?? Secondly have mayo found another scoring forward to compliment cillian o Connor ?? On the evidence of today, that would  be no imho. The minimum needed for mayo to have a crack at Sam is to find that forward  and let's face it, it's all about Sam for mayo. This drive for five shite is irrelevant. Yeah, it would be nice to achieve it by who cares about provincial honours when the bigger prize is the main goal? I don't remember who won the Connacht championship in 2001 but guess what,? I remember who won the all Ireland title that year😉! Still though a win is a win especially after 10 weeks out of action and the show is on the road again. Mayo should be good enough to win the Connacht title again before the real action starts in August ! As for Galway, there is a bit to go before it can be said that they're coming again but more discipline, a better midfield and shane Walsh back might see them go for a spin through the qualifiers before defeat to 1 of the other members of the big 4, donegal, Kerry and the dubs!!

In fairness before ye get to the top four there are a plethora of counties that could cause Mayo never mind Galway bother in the qualifiers. There is no degree of assurance ye will even get to meet one of the bigger teams. Last year ye got a soft journey to the AI quarter finals beating Sligo and Tipperary. 

As for the 5 Connacht titles, these things don't come round very often - so I guess there are a few lads with short term goals of collecting 5 medals in a row. And with the added bonus of getting to a AI QF and avoiding top teams.

twohands!!!

Decent win for mayo today but so many questions remain. Firstly an obviously too-fired-up Galway side gifted them so many scores from frees from stupid fouling. Will teams like Kerry, Dublin or donegal be that flaithuileach??

Donegal conceded 2 points from frees today -  Donegal's first score conceded from a free was in the 47th minute and the other free they conceded later was one where the defender conceded the free to stop a potentially very decent goal chance. In the Kerry game Tipp got 3 points from frees.

The fact that Galway conceded 8 points from frees tell you how far the Galway performance today was away from being a top-level defensive performance.

gibbs32

Mayo were pathetic today.lump ball into aiden oshea and rely on oconnor.dumb and dumber will be goosed on july 19th big time

cicfada

Agreed ftb, several counties like Meath, cork, Armagh, Tyrone etc etc would beat Galway, I should have added the proviso that a softish draw would be necessary for Galway to make the last round of the qualifiers never mind the quarters.

twohands!!!

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 14, 2015, 07:08:45 PMAs for the 5 Connacht titles, these things don't come round very often - so I guess there are a few lads with short term goals of collecting 5 medals in a row. And with the added bonus of getting to a AI QF and avoiding top teams.

For a team like Mayo a Connacht medal at this stage should have the equivalent value to one of those participation trophies Californian hippies give to three year old kids for splashing paint on some paper.

From the Bunker

Quote from: twohands!!! on June 14, 2015, 07:22:25 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on June 14, 2015, 07:08:45 PMAs for the 5 Connacht titles, these things don't come round very often - so I guess there are a few lads with short term goals of collecting 5 medals in a row. And with the added bonus of getting to a AI QF and avoiding top teams.

For a team like Mayo a Connacht medal at this stage should have the equivalent value to one of those participation trophies Californian hippies give to three year old kids for splashing paint on some paper.

Ah yeah i understand that! But the short term goal (of a 5 year project at provincial level) is one game away from being achieved. So it is important for one game, and after that it's back to trying to win an AI.

Syferus

Quote from: twohands!!! on June 14, 2015, 07:22:25 PM

All this Mayo side have is Connacht titles and that's likely all their legacy will be. If they have your attitude then the run will stop at four.

Chimley

Quote from: SouthDublinBro on June 14, 2015, 06:57:27 PM
a better midfield and shane Walsh back might see them go for a spin through the qualifiers before defeat to 1 of the other members of the big 4, donegal, Kerry and the dubs!!

Shane Walsh is finished.

A big jump from a broken hand!!

maigheo

Did Lee Keegan get a second yellow or a straight red at the end?