Armagh v Donegal USFC 14/06/2015

Started by Agent Orange, May 17, 2015, 06:31:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

Quote from: illdecide on June 11, 2015, 11:15:37 AM
Paddy Power have Armagh @ 2/1 to win the game and Donegal at 4/7, i'm a we bit surprised at those odds as I thought it would be a bit closer in the betting but maybe i'm looking at it with Orange tinted glasses on.

Thought Armagh would have been around 3/1 myself. Donegal are aiming for their 4th Ulster title in 5 years and Armagh have played against cannon fodder all year in division 3. Cork beat them by 8 points in a challenge 2 weeks ago and I think Armagh will get a rude awakening with the intensity levels in this game.

naka

Quote from: yellowcard on June 11, 2015, 02:58:39 PM
Quote from: illdecide on June 11, 2015, 11:15:37 AM
Paddy Power have Armagh @ 2/1 to win the game and Donegal at 4/7, i'm a we bit surprised at those odds as I thought it would be a bit closer in the betting but maybe i'm looking at it with Orange tinted glasses on.

Thought Armagh would have been around 3/1 myself. Donegal are aiming for their 4th Ulster title in 5 years and Armagh have played against cannon fodder all year in division 3. Cork beat them by 8 points in a challenge 2 weeks ago and I think Armagh will get a rude awakening with the intensity levels in this game.
games against cork was tight enough for majority of the game,
it was played at championship [pace and cork only moved ahead when both sides emptied bench in last 5/10 minutes

you take er!

Hard one to call...Armagh are at the beginning of their journey under McGeeney with some players to either make a name for themselves on this stage....or fade away to what could have been. Would be great to see young McKenna, Murnin and O'Hanlon set down markers for their future, Ethan and Findon to establish themselves as a force backed up by the battle-hardened guys who have given such great service. There is still a kick in Donegal though and this game will go a long way to proving if Armagh are all that or if Donegal are on the wane. Armagh by 2 - listening a little more to my heart than my head on this though.
      Geoghan
  2.         3.        4.
Mallon Vernon Murray
  5.         6.           7.
Shields Donaghy McKeever
       8.          9.
     Findon Rafferty
  10.         11.        12.
A Forker  Dyas T.Kernan
  13.      14.          15.
Clarke Murnin  Campbell

.......but then again who knows????

regal

Surely the (supposed) teams will be named tonight??

Throw ball

Getting nervous over this one. Most non Armagh supporters would feel I am sure that Donegal have better players all over the field. Loyal Armagh supporters would feel our players are better than many think. Sunday should tell us if we are going the right way or not. I would be fairly happy with most areas for Armagh but would worry if we can win enough ball around the middle - still an area we need improvement. We will also have a debut keeper. Also hope for calm heads!

illdecide

On the Cork game I was told Armagh were winning by 2pts until they put 5 subs on and them Cork scored to goals in a few mins so from what I can gather Armagh gave Cork their fill of it. I hear R Gallagher is running the sh*te out of the Donegal boys and they're not happy with it, them guys are at full fitness and only need sharp stuff. Everyone keeps going on about the tight pitch at Athletic Grounds...FFS it on a couple meters shy of Croke Park so the pitch dims will not be a factor.

For me Donegal are 2-3 years ahead of Armagh but we're developing fast and our hunger may well see us over the line, who knows a draw could be a big possibility...Can't wait until Sunday.

Armagh team is to be named Sat nite.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

theticklemister

I can only see Donegal winning this.

Two teams are at two different ends of the spectrum. Can't believe Donegal are as long as 4/7.

Donegal and Mayo double this weekend.

Mikasa

Hunger alone will not win this game for Armagh, they need to nullify Murphy's influence and Vernon needs the game of his life or resort to the Tyrone tactics.

Armagh half forward line might be the most crucial in staving McHugh and McGlynn's deep probing runs.

Jamie Clarke needs to get on the ball much more than he has in previous Championship games, he'll take men with him and space should open up in front of the McGees. Kernan must convert every free opportunity that is given to him. Everything must go Armagh's way to win this I think.

Applesisapples

Why do a lot of you ignore James Morgan in team selections? Charlie Vernon is a serious footballer and if tasked with Murphy I'd say he will be up to it. I just have an inkling for Armagh. That said Donegal are a serious team, although I think they are on the down slope. It just depends how far up the other side Armagh have got to.

illdecide

Quote from: Applesisapples on June 12, 2015, 11:10:25 AM
Why do a lot of you ignore James Morgan in team selections? Charlie Vernon is a serious footballer and if tasked with Murphy I'd say he will be up to it. I just have an inkling for Armagh. That said Donegal are a serious team, although I think they are on the down slope. It just depends how far up the other side Armagh have got to.

I agree Apples...I think Donegal are weaker this year than previous years and it's just a wait and see if Armagh has progressed from last year. I also agree about J Morgan and he'd be in my team. I think he's perfect for McBrearty and can nullify him out of the game, if Big Charles can keep Murphy relatively quiet Armagh will win this
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Mikasa

Quote from: illdecide on June 12, 2015, 11:43:03 AM

I agree Apples...I think Donegal are weaker this year than previous years and it's just a wait and see if Armagh has progressed from last year. I also agree about J Morgan and he'd be in my team. I think he's perfect for McBrearty and can nullify him out of the game, if Big Charles can keep Murphy relatively quiet Armagh will win this

Tyrone kept Murphy absolutely anonymous from play and they still got beat. There are more strings to Donegal than just Murphy.

Harold Disgracey

Nullifying McGlynn might be more important than stopping Murphy. Who do Armagh deploy on him? Forker or maybe utilise the pace and power of Caolan Rafferty (if fit)?

JoG2

he'll need backup obviously, he goes 1 on 1 with McBrearty he'll get roasted. You'll have to double team McFadden and Murphy as well. Keep an eye on the runners from the half back line and stop MacNiallais getting on the ball. Clarke will do well to get a point from open play. Armagh are really up against it, but on the day in championship football, anything can happen

Walter Cronc

Quote from: JoG2 on June 12, 2015, 01:02:34 PM

he'll need backup obviously, he goes 1 on 1 with McBrearty he'll get roasted. You'll have to double team McFadden and Murphy as well. Keep an eye on the runners from the half back line and stop MacNiallais getting on the ball. Clarke will do well to get a point from open play. Armagh are really up against it, but on the day in championship football, anything can happen

He marked the Gooch (1 on 1) for Cross as a cub and never got roasted Jo!

general_lee

Donegal have threats all over the field, never mind McBreaty and McFadden who on their day can both be stinking. Hopefully Murphy continues playing out the field and McElhinney isn't given the same freedom he was v Tyrone.

I'm hoping Murnin starts for Armagh as he is a good target man and physical to boot, a bit of an unknown quantity from a Donegal perspective who may focus their attentions on other players. Agree a lot will need to go Armagh's way though for them to win.