Armagh v Donegal USFC 14/06/2015

Started by Agent Orange, May 17, 2015, 06:31:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twohands!!!

Quote from: yellowcard on June 08, 2015, 03:01:50 PM
Quote from: twohands!!! on June 08, 2015, 12:56:41 PM
Quote from: DuffleKing on June 08, 2015, 12:21:23 PM

David Colderick the man in the middle

Not good news for Armagh imo - his style of reffing definitely won't suit them.

What is that even supposed to mean?

He's a rather "fussy" ref - and his style of reffing definitely isn't suited to Armagh's physical/rough style of game.

People will say that Donegal are physical too, but to my mind their defenders are far better in terms of conceding scoreable frees/making their tackles look legitimate.

In the 7 championship games in 2012 they conceded a total of 25 points in frees and no penalties and that was in games against Cavan, Derry, Tyrone, Down, Kerry, Cork and Mayo.

In the 6 championship games in 2014 they conceded a total of 25 points in frees and no penalties and that was in games against Derry, Antrim, Monaghan, Armagh, Dublin and Kerry. A key factor in the win over Dublin was Dublin got 2 points from frees.

The ability to not concede scoreable frees is a key component of the blanket defence that a lot of teams overlook.

Armagh have had an issue with their discipline last year and I believe it is extremely likely that poor/ill-discipline is likely to cost him this year as well

In the game against Donegal last year - Donegal got 6 points from frees while Armagh got 2 which was vital. I'd imagine if you looked back at other Armagh championship losses in recent years that the concession of scoreable frees was a key factor.

Don't be surprised if the game on Sunday ends up with lots of Armagh folk giving out about the ref.

yellowcard

Quote from: twohands!!! on June 08, 2015, 04:02:44 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on June 08, 2015, 03:01:50 PM
Quote from: twohands!!! on June 08, 2015, 12:56:41 PM
Quote from: DuffleKing on June 08, 2015, 12:21:23 PM

David Colderick the man in the middle

Not good news for Armagh imo - his style of reffing definitely won't suit them.

What is that even supposed to mean?

He's a rather "fussy" ref - and his style of reffing definitely isn't suited to Armagh's physical/rough style of game.

People will say that Donegal are physical too, but to my mind their defenders are far better in terms of conceding scoreable frees/making their tackles look legitimate.

In the 7 championship games in 2012 they conceded a total of 25 points in frees and no penalties and that was in games against Cavan, Derry, Tyrone, Down, Kerry, Cork and Mayo.

In the 6 championship games in 2014 they conceded a total of 25 points in frees and no penalties and that was in games against Derry, Antrim, Monaghan, Armagh, Dublin and Kerry. A key factor in the win over Dublin was Dublin got 2 points from frees.

The ability to not concede scoreable frees is a key component of the blanket defence that a lot of teams overlook.

Armagh have had an issue with their discipline last year and I believe it is extremely likely that poor/ill-discipline is likely to cost him this year as well

In the game against Donegal last year - Donegal got 6 points from frees while Armagh got 2 which was vital. I'd imagine if you looked back at other Armagh championship losses in recent years that the concession of scoreable frees was a key factor.

Don't be surprised if the game on Sunday ends up with lots of Armagh folk giving out about the ref.

Two things. I don't believe that Donegal are overly physical. They have the 2 Magees who like to engage in physical and verbal combat but have very few other physical players.

Secondly how many times have you watched Armagh play since McGeeney took over? Armagh are far from a physical side, that is a lazy perception that comes from a couple of schmozzles in last years championship. Armagh fans will know that Moriarty, Morgan and Findon in particular need to be careful of conceding scoreable free kicks but I'm confident that with McGeeney in charge we will have addressed this.

Orior

A bright start for Donegal:
Armagh 0-1 Donegal 0-4

Two goals for Armagh, so after 15 mins:
Armagh 2-1 Donegal 0-5

Then Donegal will come on strong, and nab a soft goal before the break.
Armagh 2-2 Donegal 1-8

Armagh man will be sent off just after the break.

Donegal man sent off with 5 minutes to go, but it hardly matters.

Donegal cruise to an easy win:
Armagh 2-7 Donegal 1-15
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

stew

Quote from: Orior on June 08, 2015, 08:39:47 PM
A bright start for Donegal:
Armagh 0-1 Donegal 0-4

Two goals for Armagh, so after 15 mins:
Armagh 2-1 Donegal 0-5

Then Donegal will come on strong, and nab a soft goal before the break.
Armagh 2-2 Donegal 1-8

Armagh man will be sent off just after the break.

Donegal man sent off with 5 minutes to go, but it hardly matters.

Donegal cruise to an easy win:
Armagh 2-7 Donegal 1-15

Bollocks Orior!

McKeever sent off after 90 seconds

We score three goals in fifteen minutes op top of the 4 points, play a fourteen man rearguard and beat Donegal at their own game by a point!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

rrhf

This has all the hallmarks of the game of the championship so far.  Both teams are loaded with potential tactics, both teams have high levels they can play to, done gal should have more, but I like the work that mc geeney puts into his teams.  I fancy the donegal machine this year to go further but only if they go through ulster.. I really don't think.they have the age profile and appetite to win an all Ireland through the back door.  Armagh will be at a serious level on Sunday but will also want to go direct to an ulster.  If donegal win an ulster there will be few who have ever  had a tougher campaign across all provinces. I'm going for Armagh because of their freshness.

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

T Fearon

At end of the show,Enda Mc Ginley compared the Ulster Championship with the feeling Benny Tierney's mother had the day she gave birth to him. "It mightn't be beautiful but you still can't wait to see it!" :D :D ;D

topcuppla

Quote from: rrhf on June 08, 2015, 09:38:05 PM
This has all the hallmarks of the game of the championship so far.  Both teams are loaded with potential tactics, both teams have high levels they can play to, done gal should have more, but I like the work that mc geeney puts into his teams.  I fancy the donegal machine this year to go further but only if they go through ulster.. I really don't think.they have the age profile and appetite to win an all Ireland through the back door.  Armagh will be at a serious level on Sunday but will also want to go direct to an ulster.  If donegal win an ulster there will be few who have ever  had a tougher campaign across all provinces. I'm going for Armagh because of their freshness.

I bet you are!

illdecide

Paddy Power have Armagh @ 2/1 to win the game and Donegal at 4/7, i'm a we bit surprised at those odds as I thought it would be a bit closer in the betting but maybe i'm looking at it with Orange tinted glasses on.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

macdanger2

Quote from: illdecide on June 11, 2015, 11:15:37 AM
Paddy Power have Armagh @ 2/1 to win the game and Donegal at 4/7, i'm a we bit surprised at those odds as I thought it would be a bit closer in the betting but maybe i'm looking at it with Orange tinted glasses on.

I'd have 2/1 as about right - Donegal have more pedigree over the last few years, they've a hard match v Tyrone already under their belts and they finished 4th in D1 this year.

Armagh did (unexpectedly) well last year, had a very good league albeit in D3 and they're at home. 

It'll be interesting to see how McGeeney gets on in his first Ulster championship match, I wonder if he'll have a plan for Donegal.

I'd say the bookies spread of 2 points to Donegal will be on the money

stew

Quote from: topcuppla on June 10, 2015, 12:51:40 PM

I bet you are!

Bollocks, you are a hater rrhf, nothing wrong with that but you are full of mad dogs shite!!!

topcuppla

But himself and ONeill are bitter individuals and haters in such a nice way, we should maybe cut them some slack, hopefully Armagh will come up against them again this year.  ;)

Applesisapples

I think if we can keep 15 for 65 minutes Armagh may well just pip Donegal. Big test for Geezer the Messiah.

naka

tickets are hard to get in Armagh
club could have gotten rid of another 50/60

stew

Both teams are loaded with potential tactics"

:)

Brilliant line that!!!! PMSL.